Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C band

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I dont know if anyone has said but places like Bunnings (Hardware chain) sell Inclinometers fairly cheaply and seeing your getting a metal dish, get one with a magnet in it to stick to the dish.
    To set the angle on a fibre glass dish, I used a clear plastic half circle protractor, (school geometry set) drilled a 1/8th hole where all the lines converged, pushed a lenght of string (150mm/six inches) through and knotted it and on the other end I tied a lead fishing weight.
    On the base of the dish there was provision made for a 'level' to be attached so using a pair of big spring loaded paper clips I put the protractor there and let the lead weight hang down.
    This might not be as good as a Digital Inclinometer with a reading of plus or minus .100 of a degree but I couldnt see that the thickness of the string would be to critical in setting the elevation, plus it was cheap.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

irritant (04-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I dont know if anyone has said but places like Bunnings (Hardware chain) sell Inclinometers fairly cheaply and seeing your getting a metal dish, get one with a magnet in it to stick to the dish.
    To set the angle on a fibre glass dish, I used a clear plastic half circle protractor, (school geometry set) drilled a 1/8th hole where all the lines converged, pushed a lenght of string (150mm/six inches) through and knotted it and on the other end I tied a lead fishing weight.
    On the base of the dish there was provision made for a 'level' to be attached so using a pair of big spring loaded paper clips I put the protractor there and let the lead weight hang down.
    This might not be as good as a Digital Inclinometer with a reading of plus or minus .100 of a degree but I couldnt see that the thickness of the string would be to critical in setting the elevation, plus it was cheap.
    Thanks i did look at Bunnings other week and 2 staff looked at me blank saying i have no idea what you mean...tried looking online but nothing came up

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Faceache View Post
    Thanks i did look at Bunnings other week and 2 staff looked at me blank saying i have no idea what you mean...tried looking online but nothing came up

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    A bit dearer than what I thought but there it is thanks to MTV.
    I think you will agree you did a silly thing and asked for something by its 'technical' name (Inclinometer) which elicited the blank looks of Non Comprehension from the staff and if you mentioned 'Satellite', its a wonder they didnt go totally comatose.............
    It would have been better to say 'I want the thing with a dial on it so I can sit it on the roof to see how steep it is'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Yes you are correct I should of used the KIS formula when talking to the staff at Bunnings and thanks MTV for the link ... looks li,e I will be taking the trip to Bunnings now and maybe for a laugh I might as for the thing that you use to check angle on a roof and see if I get a result 😀

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I have one from Bunnings. If I remember I had the pull it apart ans move it ONE set of Holes for 90 Deg as it was only good for C Band for positioning on the Rear of the dish. Ki band it was a Hit and miss have o the Front of the Dish but it was magnetic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Setting up correct polar mount for many is a hit and miss situation. If you follow below steps your Polar Mount will be correctly set, track all available satellites every time.

1. You need a good angle inclinometer and a long straight edge. No Compass needed.
    2. The mounting pole MUST be 100% plum otherwise polar tracking won't work.
    3. Using the Actuator set the dish direction to be centered straight out with the mount, as if you are doing a straight AZ/EL setup.
    4. In Adelaide set the main elevation to 54.4° from the horizon, lock it in and don't touch it anymore.
    5. Set the declination to (minus)- 5° of the main elevation. Best to use a long straight edge on the face of the dish and set the angle to 40.6° on the straight edge (49.4° -90°) then lock it in and don't touch it again.
    6. Using the actuator drive the dish to the west until 32.9° elevation is reached = 57.1° on the straight edge.
    7. Loosen the pole securing bolts just enough so that the whole mount can rotate on the pole. Since the elevation is set 32.9° and given the pole is 100% plum, You should have no problem finding Asiasat 5 by panning to the west. Once you find it and optimize the signal secure the mount to the pole.

The next task would be to store the satellites on your antenna positioner.
    So I would like to say I am very thankful for B52 advice but have a few questions and in no way I mean offence just fact checking... you said Adelaide elevation is 54.4 do you mean the City centre because according to dish pointer when I put in my address it says following below

Satellite: True South / True North
    Elevation: 49.6° <--------- Should I use this or 54.4 ?
    Azimuth (true): 0.0°
    Azimuth (magn.): -8.1°

Motor Latitude: -34.8°
    Declination Angle: 5.6°
    Dish Elevation: --°
    Azimuth (true): 0.0°
    Azimuth (magn.): -8.1°

The declination angle is 5.6 so then I would calculate 49.6 minus 5.6 ?

Thanks in advance

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12