Thread: Huawei Mate 9 pro review.....

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Default Huawei Mate 9 pro review.....

I have been waiting for this phone to be released, and I just happened to be in KL when it was released there just before christmas.
    Cost was just under Au $1000 with a smart case.

Sizewise and feel, its pretty much identical (5.5 inch curved edge screen) to the galaxy S7 edge, which i was replacing. transferring everything over from the samsung (in my hotel room) was a breeze, it took around 15 minutes via wifi direct using the heuwei app.

The mate 9 pro comes with 6 gig of ram, dual sim, and 128gig rom, not to be confused with the mate 9, which has a 5.9 inch screen, 2 gig of ram 64gig rom and single sim + micro sd card slot.

there is also a premium porsche design mate 9 pro which has 256gig of memory, for around $2000au..

Specs:

As a phone, it works very well, covering all aussie bands and very good signal in weak spots.
    Driving back from perth to kalgoorlie it switched from telstra 4g to 3g when needed, the S7 hangs on to 4g and will show no signal when there are a couple of bars of 3g available.
    This seems to be a product of telstras firmware rather than a limitation of the samsung. I have noticed this with most telstra firmware.
    When overseas it allowed me to set up call diversion when using my telstra sim, the s7 did not....
    4g can be quickly turned on/off via the swipe menu and data can be quickly switched between both sims. So one sim can be used for calls and another for data, to maximise your data plans.
    both card slots can do 4g and it is a true dual standby phone, only one sim can be used for 4g at a time, a limitation of the phone system rather than the phone itself.
    default calling sim can be set and when making calls/sending texts sim can be changed with a quick swipe of the send button...

WiFi performance is excellent, rock solid with no dropouts over time. It's wireless ac.
    This is one area where it really destroys the S7 edge.

The camera is excellent, a hybrid dual sensor 20 megapixel leica system. there are lots of settings to keep even a serious photographer happy.
    the only letdown is with point and shoot in dim light conditions, its a bit ordinary. A software upgrade should improve this.

GPS performance is excellent, on par with latest samsung/apple models.

Battery life is excellent, around twice that of the s7 edge and it comes with the heuwei super charging system which will charge the battery about an extra 60% in 15 minutes. No wireless charging built in though. A $10 universal charging pad fixed that....
    It uses a USB c connector, no more fumbling to get it round the right way....

Screen is an uhd amoled, nice.....

Fingerprint scanner is on the 'home' button, best I've used.....

This thing is very fast (octacore processor), apps open instantly. leaves any other phone I have used for dead....

After a few weeks use, only thing i can whinge about is i can't schedule messages. maybe there is a setting somewhere i havent found.....

Conclusion:

Best android phone out there (it runs on android 7 Nougat) and possibly best phone, well till the S8 edge comes out. A real wake up call for samsung and apple, only thing the S7 does better is point and shoot photos at night/dim lighting conditions.

But it is very expensive for a chinese phone, which may deter some buyers. then again, samsung/apple are mainly made in china anyway....
    if they can bring the price down a couple of hundred dollars for the aussie market, they will sell a lot of these...
    Build quality and feel is right up there with samsung....

Im not bashing samsung or apple, I had apples up to S5 and then samsungs up to S7 edge.

reviews:

Last edited by hoe; 14-01-17 at 03:56 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

croozer (29-04-17),mtv (14-01-17),ol' boy (14-01-17)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Thanks hoe, i'd been looking at the new Huawei's as they come on Oz Bargain.
    Haven't owned a Huawei for at least 7 years, but it was a great budget handset back then.
    I realise they are a premium brand in Asia, perhaps not as recognised here in Au as high end.
    If i'm in KL, i see the Huawei and Oppo and get so tempted, but never pull the trigger.

AU Band support and photo quality are my main buying concerns, everything else i find any phone can handle for the past 5 years.

Sounds great, and great that have compared it to the S7.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 14-01-17 at 03:32 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

That's the mate 9, not the mate 9 pro. It's a phablet with 5.9 inch screen.

I bought it from the Huawei shop in the suria mall at the base of the petronas towers, at the top end of JL P.Ramlee....

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoe; 14-01-17 at 05:47 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (14-01-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks hoe, i removed the link
    Seems they both get good reviews
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Still happy with the phone hoe?

Is there any option to get tradition sides instead of the curved edges
    (i really dislike this, no idea why they do it)
    Was there a software update to correct the camera in low light yet?
    Thanks

Premium Member
    Thanks

Very happy so far. The curved edges aren't a problem as they are not active like the Samsung's.
    Haven't checked for updates, it's set to auto update.
    The camera isn't bad, just not as good as the Samsung's in low light conditions.

ol' boy (27-03-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

price has come down a lot......

Phone has performed flawlessly, I am very happy with it....

there are some custom roms about now, but i havent bothered....
    Last edited by hoe; 17-04-17 at 01:40 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just upgraded firmware to latest factory rom via funky Huawei which took a couple of hours to download.

Huawei are a bit strange about upgrading firmware out of region, I bought mine in Malaysia....

No real difference, bit longer battery life and latest security patches.

During upgrade I put SIM into backup S7 , it felt like going back a generation of phone.....

Last edited by hoe; 05-05-17 at 10:32 PM.

ol' boy (06-05-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I've always considered the Huawei build quality to be sooo much better than Samsungs
    Samsung lost is after the S3 and S4, they just toys now.