Thread: NSW Premier resigns/retires, please yourself.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default NSW Premier resigns/retires, please yourself.

Well, we lost one premier over a bottle of undeclared plonk so will this one be because of a Greyhound?

No one disagreed that the Greyhound Industry was in a seriously bad way and needed a maximum overhaul but to simply ban it altogether seemingly overnight without leaving any alternatives, was not a great idea.
    Neither has the 'No one will be forced to merge' Council amalgamations that were 'done and dusted' before those concerned had time to submit why they shouldnt be paperwork.
    No one doubts in this current financial climate many Councils are having difficulties and for some, amalgamating could be a viable option but to have administrators already appointed to those already marked for amalgamation before they even knew they were to be and with whom, smacks of behind the scenes despotism.
    That the National Party got absolutely flogged in one Gold Ribbon seat and lost significant numbers as did their partners, the Liberal Party has all undermined the Premiers support.
    Now allegations are being made that the 'Suits in the Party' (aka Labor's Faceless Men) demanded changes to Bairds wishes relating to certain choices he wanted to stand for election.
    While both the Liberal and National Party generally dont do their 'Blood letting' in Public as Labor is wont to do, these 'events' are none the less as aggressive as any one else and they can be just as destructive.
    We have already lost Troy Grant as Deputy Premier and leader of the National Party for his part in the greyhound debacle so now I am now wonder how the Minister for Local Government Paul Toole's position is now regarding the opposition to those Council amalgamations.

Will the new Premier ??? push them through or find a politically safe way of abandoning those not yet enforced???
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 19-01-17 at 03:43 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (20-01-17)

Look Here ->

Thanks

His popularity was a key factor not only in state but federal results.
    The sheen has worn off a little
    You can add pub closures to the list too.

Bad news for Turnbull and the Libs as NSW was their saviour

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,059 Posts

He has made 10 years to set up the best pension option.
    He is getting out before the brown stuff hits the fan and covers him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

His old man was a disaster too. He actually did okay for a while before showing how totally out of touch he was and is.
    Last edited by DB44; 19-01-17 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks

Just one thing. NSW is now debt free as of last year

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    Fantastic. NSW will be in a good position to subsidise the nut-cases running South Australia and Victoria as they continue to close coal-fired power stations and build windmills. And Qld is planning to go down this road too.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I wont pretend to be aware of the actual financial situation in NSW or how this claim of being 'debt free' was obtained but if it was through the 'sell off' of public assets, where will the money come from for any future proposals to pay them off?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

DB44 (20-01-17)

Thanks

October 2016...

The NSW Government has wiped out the State’s net debt and delivered a cash positive result in 2015-16, Treasurer Gladys Berejiklian has announced.

Ms Berejiklian today released the Total State Sector Accounts (TSSA) which showed a final surplus of $4.7 billion in 2015-16 – an improvement of $1.3 billion since the June 2016 Budget forecast.

The improved surplus compared with the June 2016 Budget forecast was due largely to one-off items including higher realised distributions from investments and actuarial valuations in SICorp.

General government sector net debt fell from $5.5 billion at 30 June 2015 to negative $57 million at 30 June 2016 – meaning NSW was in a cash positive position for the first time on record.

“NSW’s Budget is firmly in the black and we are leading the nation on economic and fiscal management,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“Our fiscal discipline and asset recycling strategy has allowed us to invest record amounts on infrastructure while securing our triple-A credit rating.

“This unprecedented infrastructure program is also supporting our booming jobs market, solid housing construction industry and helping to boost consumer confidence and business investment.”

The TSSA comes after Standard & Poor’s reaffirmed NSW’s triple-A credit rating.

Meanwhile, the Audit Office noted the Government’s improved financial statement preparation processes have helped to identify and resolve accounting issues, reduce the number of reported misstatements and achieve earlier reporting timeframes.

I chose that article because most of the others require subscription. But the housing boom and GST played no small part in the finances. I don't think it matters what slant people put on it. The sky isn't falling in. It's partially a result of NSW residents like myself paying ridiculous levels of tax over the years. My last CTP and rego alone was $1200. Most of our budgets since 1995 were large surpluses.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Should be as Victoria is carrying NSW, although nearly 2 years old, the percentage ain't changed

Hockey refuses to discuss his options publicly. But one change being considered is simply to maintain each state’s share of the GST at current levels. That would give Western Australia an extra $494 million in 2015–16, New South Wales an extra $517 million, the Australian Capital Territory an extra $129 million, and the Northern Territory an extra $56 million. The losers would be Queensland ($556 million), South Australia ($284 million), Tasmania ($225 million) and Victoria ($131 million).

Cynics among you might have noticed that, apart from the ACT, the prospective winners under this plan are all Coalition-run states. And apart from Tasmania, the prospective losers are all Labor-run states. A federal treasurer could always find something extra for Tasmania, and take something from the ACT, if he were so inclined.

Ahh politicians, such nice people, just an aside, Liberal Party (generally) are fore casting a loss of votes totaling 10% to Pauline Hansens party. Comment, The Age, Power Politics U-turn,, page 20 (note it is an opinion piece only just like Boltes, ie you do not have to give facts)
    Last edited by allover; 20-01-17 at 05:16 PM.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

I was under the impression that GST was divided by need per capita due to some mathematical formula. This could be bullsh*t mumbo jumbo of course.

I guess after the next election we'll find out, hey?...

I agree with Gordon_s1942. It depends on how such a surplus was achieved.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

NSW gets 98c for every dollar on the per-capita basis. Vic gets around 90c. The rest get more than $1.

WA gets 30c. LOL

Super Moderator
    Thanks

NSW gets 98c for every dollar on the per-capita basis. Vic gets around 90c. The rest get more than $1.

WA gets 30c. LOL
    That's because WA is a Labour state....oh! Hang on...its not is it....another theory bites the dust.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

The bulk of my extract above comes from an article about WA share of the gst, there are a number of articles about this on Google, non too complementary to a state that over spent when it had endless royalties

Don't forget the Nat Libs tried to slip $479 mill to WA by recent deceit but were caught out, and if you read the first link thoroughly you will find that Labor created the mess in the first place re royalties by incompetence

Why would any one vote for these hopeless pricks!!!
    Last edited by allover; 21-01-17 at 09:24 AM.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Plunging GST revenue in WA has altered their share....no iron, no jobs, no revenue. If we taxed the miners properly we wouldn't have these issues, but that's a different story....

Federal money payments to the states....I really don't think this is a governmental choice, but like I said, after the next election we'll know.....

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

allover (21-01-17)