Thread: 3 Metre Dish

Junior Member Feedback Score 0
    Thanks

Default 3 Metre Dish

Wondering if anyone has a C band 3 metre they wish to sell would need to dismantle and pack so its ready to ship willing to pay a fee for this service of course inc shipping cost

Pole not required
    3m or larger
    Mesh only
    LNB preferred
    Actuator if possible
    Decoder not needed
    Last edited by Faceache; 21-01-17 at 07:56 AM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator Feedback Score 12 (100%)
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Faceache,

Please post in the BST section.

Also, please add more info, such as your location, type of dish... mesh or solid, fixed or motorised, etc

Is it dish-only... no mounting pole, no LNB, etc?

Premium Member Feedback Score 11 (100%)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

I have a 3.7m motorized mesh dish I was thinking of getting rid of. Shipping costs may be prohibitive though. I'm in/near Darwin.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    I have a 3.7m motorized mesh dish I was thinking of getting rid of. Shipping costs may be prohibitive though. I'm in/near Darwin.
    Hey mate
    I know it would be difficult but any idea once disassembled approx size packed, if you could tell me how many panels I might be able to work it out and see if it is cost effective to freight but firstly any idea on what price you would want for the dish etc ?

Thanks

I brought the whole thing in from Bali about 10 years ago as checked luggage. One box had the aluminium petals and frame sections, weighed about 18kg and was around 2m x 1m x 0.3m in dimensions.The other box had the hub, pole mount and actuator, weighed around 15kg and was approximately 1m x 0.4m x 0.4m.

As mentioned, the dish is around 10 years old, so I'm going to have a good look at it this afternoon, and see how difficult it will be to undo the small (rusty) bolts that hold the radial stringers to the spokes. If these bolts have to be cut off with a grinder, I may feel differently about selling the dish. The dish hasn't been used in a while either, so I want to test the lnb and actuator. I'll get back to you with a report as soon as I can.

If we decide to go ahead with the deal, I would only want the price of freight, plus $100 for materials for the shipping box.

Thanks

No problems will wait to hear from you

Thanks

Hi Faceache, I have tested the actuator and it works fine. The LNB on the other hand, appears to be DOA. The throat cover is missing, and I can't get a picture from any of 3 receivers.

Apart from that, I think the real deal-breaker is going to be the fact that, being an Indonesian dish, the elevation adjustment doesn't allow much more than about 15° from vertical. See pic. This wasn't a problem for me here in Darwin, as we're only 13° from the equator, but it will certainly be an issue 'down south'. It's not an insurmountable problem, you would need to drill new elevation pivot holes below the existing ones, to allow the hub assembly to tilt further. You would also need a longer elevation adjustment bolt.

The stringer bolts will undo, but they will need to be replaced on re-assembly. (96 x M6-25mm) The general condition of the dish is probably best described as 'fair'. It has had quite a few bird-strikes over the years. I have always fixed them when I've noticed them, but the mesh surfaces aren't perfect anymore. Being such a large dish, and being C-band, it didn't seem to make one jot of difference to the signal quality though.

I realise this dish probably isn't what you're after, and I apologise if I got your hopes up. I think I will still pull it apart and try and sell it locally, or just mothball it in my shed with all the other stuff that should really be thrown out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    Hi Faceache, I have tested the actuator and it works fine. The LNB on the other hand, appears to be DOA. The throat cover is missing, and I can't get a picture from any of 3 receivers.

Apart from that, I think the real deal-breaker is going to be the fact that, being an Indonesian dish, the elevation adjustment doesn't allow much more than about 15° from vertical. See pic. This wasn't a problem for me here in Darwin, as we're only 13° from the equator, but it will certainly be an issue 'down south'. It's not an insurmountable problem, you would need to drill new elevation pivot holes below the existing ones, to allow the hub assembly to tilt further. You would also need a longer elevation adjustment bolt.

The stringer bolts will undo, but they will need to be replaced on re-assembly. (96 x M6-25mm) The general condition of the dish is probably best described as 'fair'. It has had quite a few bird-strikes over the years. I have always fixed them when I've noticed them, but the mesh surfaces aren't perfect anymore. Being such a large dish, and being C-band, it didn't seem to make one jot of difference to the signal quality though.

I realise this dish probably isn't what you're after, and I apologise if I got your hopes up. I think I will still pull it apart and try and sell it locally, or just mothball it in my shed with all the other stuff that should really be thrown out.

Thanks for replying and pictures but before I knock it on the head just had a few questions as I am still interested..

First one is I have a LNB from a C band that I know works so I assume it will fit ? Also have a horn cover but both from a smaller dish maybe 2.4

Second question if I understand correctly I would need to re drill a hole lower than existing one pictured so te dish can be lifted up and tilted ? Also replaceing the adjustment bolt if doing this it should allow me to get the 55 odd degrees I need ?

I have a base laying around from the same 2.4 LNB is from I guess it would not be wise to swap the mounting hardware of the dish due to weight etc ?

The dish you have still will allow for declination etc to be adjusted with no other mods ?

Repair work on the dish is not so crucial if been done because from what I read that size dish if slight tears etc will not affect the reflection too much

I certainly do not mind a little extra work because being a larger dish than 3 metres I have a better chance of doing what I want successfully

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faceache View Post
    Thanks for replying and pictures but before I knock it on the head just had a few questions as I am still interested..

First one is I have a LNB from a C band that I know works so I assume it will fit ? Also have a horn cover but both from a smaller dish maybe 2.4
    Yes LNB's are pretty standard for C-Band. But unless your LNB is fairly new, it might be better to spring for a new one.

Second question if I understand correctly I would need to re drill a hole lower than existing one pictured so te dish can be lifted up and tilted ? Also replaceing the adjustment bolt if doing this it should allow me to get the 55 odd degrees I need ?
    Yes, that will give you the elevation you need. But declination is another problem. See below.

I have a base laying around from the same 2.4 LNB is from I guess it would not be wise to swap the mounting hardware of the dish due to weight etc ?
    I don't really know mate. It might be possible.

The dish you have still will allow for declination etc to be adjusted with no other mods ?
    Massive apologies, I completely forgot about Declination. This Indo dish has NO declination adjustment, as most of Indonesia is within spitting distance of the equator. Even 'way down here' in Darwin, I needed a couple of degrees of declination to hit the 'low' birds. I used thick washers to pack-up the 'high' end of the pivot mount, to give me a declination offset of about 2°. You may need a few more washers.

Repair work on the dish is not so crucial if been done because from what I read that size dish if slight tears etc will not affect the reflection too much

I certainly do not mind a little extra work because being a larger dish than 3 metres I have a better chance of doing what I want successfully
    In its favour, the whole polar mount and hub was hot-dip galvanised here in Darwin when new. As you can see from the photos, it still looks pretty good.

Thanks

Ok well the final step in making the decesion is going to be FH cost, could you send me a post code that I can use on a shipping call to see how viable it would be to transport.

I will use those original dimensions you gave which should give me a good idea on cost

I almost forgot the mounting of dish is it pole mounted and I feel so what size please ?
    Last edited by Faceache; 24-01-17 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks

Postcode would be 0828 Berrimah, NT, depot drop-off. Most major freight companies here, have their depots in, or near Berrimah.

The pole mount ID is 3½" (88.5mm), which annoyingly, is a scootch smaller than the OD of standard 80mm gal water pipe.

Thanks

Guys, can you please have your discussion via PM or some other means of communication, as it doesn't need to be discussed publicly in this section.

Thanks.

Thanks

I know, sorry. Almost needs another thread in the C-band section.

LSemmens Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Actually, MTV, I found it interesting in that I know nothing about satellite dishes and the vagaries of setup and install. This, highlights some of the issues that a person, who knows nothing may face if he thinks that the pretty picture on evil bay looks good only to find that it won't work in his country because it was not designed to work that far north or south of the equator.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Actually, MTV, I found it interesting in that I know nothing about satellite dishes and the vagaries of setup and install.
    That's why there are specific satellite sections for such discussion and information. These should be of interest to you.

BST is just for listings... it's not a discussion forum.

LSemmens Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Sorry MTV, did not realise this is in BST I just click on "new posts". As you were.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks