Thread: Battery electrolyte

Thanks

Default Battery electrolyte

So here's the thing.
    Every now and then, when I go to start my ride on mower I find the battery with not enough capacity to fire it up. That means waiting for an hour while it charges a bit before I can cut the grass.
    The mower is old and well used so prob doesn't have the compression it should but runs ok once I get it going.

The solution ?
    I installed a solar trickle charger (about 300 x 100mm) on my shed and run the lead inside where I can plug it into a cigarette lighter socket that I installed on the side of the ride on. I intend to leave it connected at all times except when mowing of course.
    Seems to me to be a good way to get the best out of that battery and hopefully keep it in good nick for a long time.

The question ?
    I'm thinking that the solar charger is capable of around 125mA max, so how often will I now have to check the battery's water level ?

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Probably no more than usual; as 125mA is not enough to push the battery into heavy gassing.
    Actually I think you will be lucky if that charger delivers enough current to solve your issue, depending on the condition of the battery & wiring loses. Time will tell.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (23-01-17),tristen (22-01-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

If you found that after more than 24/48 hours has passed since last you used the mower and it ran for at least One hour and it wont start, your battery has passed on and needs replacing.
    One thing you may have to check if you havent already is the charging circuit still working or not?
    If its not, that could be a reason the battery is going flat as the only charge its getting is when you connect it to a charger which you promptly drain every time you start it.
    Most Ride On's dont need the battery to run, only to power the starter motor and maybe any lights it has fitted.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 22-01-17 at 12:39 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (23-01-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

As gordon has said, you generally don't need the battery other than to spin the starter motor. When we pensioned off our various ride-ons they never had batteries left in them. All we'd do if we needed to use them (which was occasionally) was just to attach jumper leads to it, fire it up, and away we'd go. First one was a 14horse B&S motor another was a 3Cylinder Diesel Kubota. They'd run all day without a battery.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (23-01-17)

Thanks

It will be easy to tell if the trickle charger does the job because since the motor is old it rolls over for along time before it starts but starts easy if the battery is given a top up first.
    I guess winter will be the real test.

Thanks

I have a car battery that dies if I dont drive it for a few days,the 12 volt trickle charger has been keeping it alive for nearly 2 years now
    I have left the car in long term parking while I have been OS for a month ,with the trickle charger attached and it started first go (Ive done that twice this year)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Dishtrackted For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (25-01-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dishtrackted View Post
    I have a car battery that dies if I dont drive it for a few days,the 12 volt trickle charger has been keeping it alive for nearly 2 years now
    I have left the car in long term parking while I have been OS for a month ,with the trickle charger attached and it started first go (Ive done that twice this year)
    That's good to hear.
    Considering that cars can have minor current draws when not being driven like the clock or radio memory etc. My ride has none so it should work quite well for me. It just has to charge more than the battery's internal resistance discharges it.

Thanks

Thought I'd better update this.
    The solar trickle charger works really well.
    The battery never fails to act like it's been freshly charged and the ride on starts a bit easier than before.