Thread: Bosch Solution 6000 Fingerprint readers - any good?

Thanks

Default Bosch Solution 6000 Fingerprint readers - any good?

Any other techs out there used them and any feedback? I have a customer requesting one as an option and unless they are particularly good, my experience with biometric readers is that they can be very temperamental. Would appreciate any feedback.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Hi
    use them a couble times.good product works well
    dont mount outside as senor can be damaged under
    Vandals.
    install inside

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gristle View Post
    Any other techs out there used them and any feedback? I have a customer requesting one as an option and unless they are particularly good, my experience with biometric readers is that they can be very temperamental. Would appreciate any feedback.
    The sensors degrade over time much faster than touch-less Smart Card readers

From a 'security' point of view, stick with Smart cards as finger print scanners are so vulnerable to 'hacking' that recently Researchers showed finger prints could be duplicated from a picture which shows the persons hand

Smart Cards are harder to hack for the uninitiated ....

Thanks

Davos,

There have been numerous attacks on fingerprint readers dating back decades.

For example:

However, the susceptibility to attack varies from device to device. Some are very good. The very same can be said of card readers, some of which can be defeated trivially. You can also say the same of mechanical locks and just about any other security hardware on the market.

In very broad terms, you can have cheap or you can have security but not both. As with all such things there is a glut of dirt-cheap hardware being sold out of Asia which would not stand up to any robust assessment. But for $15 what do you expect.

Another consideration for fingerprint readers is convenience of access. If they have a slow read-time, frequent misreads or they present a potential hygiene issue, the 'sex appeal' of such a device is often outweighed.