Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What modem for NBN

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    So the new supplied modem router has the 4 Ethernet ports behind it.

(Bad day today spelling mistake and missing words on a small sentence) Sick today

That depends on the method of NBN delivery at your address.

If it's via copper (on your existing lead in NBN to the node) a VDSL modem/router as WhiteOx mentioned will be used.

If your NBN is via fibre or wireless, you will get a Network Termination Device (NTD) that has 4 ports, but those 4 ports are used for different purposes, such as for multiple carriers.

Typically, only one port carries your NBN data and you just plug a standard router/switch into that port to obtain additional connections, just as you do now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

enf (27-01-17)

Thanks

Default What modem for NBN

I've got iiNet FTTP and I use a fritzbox 7390 as a router. It works fine but when I ran into trouble (NBN box port 1 got fried - not 100% sure if that was a physical thing or at the other end of the line) the iiNet tech denied that my fritzbox was NBN capable - despite their sister co Internode issuing it at the time as their standard NBN router.
    The Fritzbox Australian forum seems to have disappeared too, so that's not in their favour either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tritto101; 27-01-17 at 12:50 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tritto101 For This Useful Post:

admin (28-01-17),efab (06-02-17),enf (27-01-17),Mr 672A (28-01-17)

Thanks

sounds like ISp supplied unit is the best way to go then, not sure I want to stuff around at the moment

• The Following User Says Thank You to efab For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (28-01-17)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    sounds like ISp supplied unit is the best way to go then, not sure I want to stuff around at the moment
    Yes we will have FTTN and by this the original phone lines will be used to the house (I forgot to mention this), All I will need is a Modem/Router that has a socket for it to connect the House Phones on it and has 4 Ethernet ports that can be used for cat 5 HARD Wired for devices around the house.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 28-01-17 at 12:27 PM.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tritto101 View Post
    I've got iiNet FTTP and I use a fritzbox 7390 as a router. It works fine but when I ran into trouble (NBN box port 1 got fried - not 100% sure if that was a physical thing or at the other end of the line) the iiNet tech denied that my fritzbox was NBN capable - despite their sister co Internode issuing it at the time as their standard NBN router.
    The Fritzbox Australian forum seems to have disappeared too, so that's not in their favour either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lucky man to have Fibre to the Premises

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Yes we will have FTTN and by this the original phone lines will be used to the house (I forgot to mention this), All I will need is a Router that has a socket for it to connect the House Phones on it and has 4 Ethernet ports that can be used for cat 5 HARD Wired for devices around the house.

VDSL uses basically the same distribution method in the home as ADSL, although the voice/data filtering uses different frequencies.

A VDSL central filter/splitter provides the best performance, although, you can use line filters on phones and voice-frequency equipment (eg one filter on each item).

Basically, all you need is a VDSL modem/router instead of an ADSL modem/router, which I'm assuming you're using now.

Phones do not connect directly to the modem/router with VDSL. This only happens with Network Termination Devices (NTD) that are the interface when FTTP or wireless NBN is used.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    VDSL uses basically the same distribution method in the home as ADSL, although the voice/data filtering uses different frequencies.

A VDSL central filter/splitter provides the best performance, although, you can use line filters on phones and voice-frequency equipment (eg one filter on each item).

Basically, all you need is a VDSL modem/router instead of an ADSL modem/router, which I'm assuming you're using now.

Phones do not connect directly to the modem/router with VDSL. This only happens with Network Termination Devices (NTD) that are the interface when FTTP or wireless NBN is used.
    Pretty much everything you just posted is incorrect.

FTTN via the NBN uses VOIP for the phone, as such, there is no need for a VDSL central filter, or line filters.
    Phones are connected directly to the modem/router, as there is no phone signal supplied over FTTN via NBN.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tech4U For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (06-02-17),mtv (28-01-17),WhiteOx (28-01-17)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Phones do not connect directly to the modem/router with VDSL.
    Well can you tell me what the phone port is for?
    I have my phone plugged into my VDSL modem and it seems to work just fine.

Actually your phone does plug directly into the modem.
    When you get FTTN your line is disconnected from the exchange and connected to the node.
    The node does not carry voice signals.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tech4U View Post
    Pretty much everything you just posted is incorrect.

FTTN via the NBN uses VOIP for the phone, as such, there is no need for a VDSL central filter, or line filters.
    Phones are connected directly to the modem/router, as there is no phone signal supplied over FTTN via NBN.

You're correct... not sure what I was thinking (more like ADSL).

Yes, in effect, the modem/router does the separation.

The phone connection of the modem/router is used to connect any existing phone outlets in the premises... some premises wiring reconfiguration may be required.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    Well can you tell me what the phone port is for?
    I have my phone plugged into my VDSL modem and it seems to work just fine.

Actually your phone does plug directly into the modem.
    When you get FTTN your line is disconnected from the exchange and connected to the node.
    The node does not carry voice signals.
    Correct, mate... as above.

Administrator

Thanks

Correct, mate... as above.
    And not many people know....
    They switch over to FTTN and wonder why their phone doesn't work.
    Nobody tells them they need to plug it into the modem.

Thanks

so if you have multiple cordless units in the house then the base unit has to connect to the modem/router or not.??

I have a telstra normal phone, and then I have 4 cordless uniden dect 6 phones off 1 base station. Will this work or will I have to change the phones.
    The other thing I just remembered is that I have at present 2 phone lines into the house, 1 for phone and fax which is under telstra and the other for internet from westnet.

This could get messy the more I think about it, and is there a simpler solution and be able to cut back to 1 line and still have phone (including cordless), fax, and internet off the one connection.
    this is sort of making my head spin a bit

Administrator
    Thanks

Yes, the cordless base units need to be connected to the modem, the same with the fax.

Any additional phone sockets in the house need to be connected to the modem.

Eg:... the lead-in terminates on a socket which then connects to the modem/router. The phone socket on the modem/router then connects to rest of the phone cabling in the home.

There may need to be some re-configuration of your home's phone cabling to achieve this and there are a few different methods of achieving it.

NBN don't do any of that side of works... a registered cabler is required to perform any fixed cabling in that instance.... arranged by and paid for by the home-owner, of course.

I know FTTP and NBN wireless NTD's provide for multiple carriers, not sure how multiple lines from multiple carriers work on FTTN.... perhaps someone else can explain that one.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

efab (28-01-17)

Administrator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    so if you have multiple cordless units in the house then the base unit has to connect to the modem/router or not.??

I have a telstra normal phone, and then I have 4 cordless uniden dect 6 phones off 1 base station. Will this work or will I have to change the phones.
    The other thing I just remembered is that I have at present 2 phone lines into the house, 1 for phone and fax which is under telstra and the other for internet from westnet.

This could get messy the more I think about it, and is there a simpler solution and be able to cut back to 1 line and still have phone (including cordless), fax, and internet off the one connection.
    this is sort of making my head spin a bit
    Your best bet would be to contact Telstra (or whoever) as your setup is a bit more complicated ie; 2 phone lines and the fax.
    The phones should be right, the Telstra gateway max supports DECT phones.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

efab (28-01-17)

Thanks

looks like I need to do more research
    thanks

Thanks

When you connect to FTTN, you LOSE the phone connection to the local exchange. Your voice service becomes VOIP. If you don't do anything, you will lose your existing phone number - if you want to keep it, you have to contact your VOIP supplier (this can be different to your ISP) to have it transferred.

Most ISPs providing FTTN service also have voice plans, but you don't have to sign up to them, you can use anyone you like (eg MNF).

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Historically I, like efab, had two telephone lines to my premises - one private, originally provided by Telstra but some years ago transferred to Exetel (for a combined internet (ADSL2) with telephone account). The other line was with Telstra and was used for incoming business calls only.

I also had two VOIP (voice over internet protocol) services, which I used for outgoing calls (lower call rates than Telstra).

My current FTTN internet account is with Exetel, who also ported the old (private use) telephone number to VOIP (thus keeping my wife happy).

I still retain the two additional VOIP telephone accounts that I had from before the arrival of the NBN (one with Freshtel and the other with Freecall).

I recently asked Freecall to port my old Telstra business number to the VOIP service they were already providing, thus effectively cancelling my Telstra (business) landline account while still retaining the Telstra-provided telephone number, which all my customers were accustomed to using.

The new VDSL modem/router provided by Exetel also has VOIP facilities, through which Exetel continue to provide my private telephone service, but now via VOIP.

I have retained the Sipura SPA-2000 ATA (analogue telephone adaptor), which I have used for many years. I disconnected this from the old ADSL2 modem/router and re-connected it to the new VDSL modem/router. This continues to provide my two VOIP telephone services (one with Freshtel, the other with Freecall) as prior to the NBN changeover.

It probably sounds complicated to the uninitiated, but it works well for my purposes. All it required was a little research on my part in order to work out (1) how to retain/modify my existing telephone cabling and telephones, and LAN (local area network) and (2) telephone numbers once the FTTN NBN connection became available.

I believe that existing fax machines are not compatible and must be replaced when changing over to the NBN, so it is well worthwhile considering the use of e-mail attachments rather than continuing to use faxes.

Most of the businesses I deal with discarded their fax machines years ago as did I.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

efab (06-02-17),william10 (29-01-17)

Thanks

Our house has the pair come to the computer room first as the Telstra box is on the other side of the wall. From the Computer room them the pair goes to two other outlets where they are phones connected. All you would have to do is disconnect the lines coming in in the Computer room, the Telstra ones going into the Modem/router for the internet and the other disconnected ones then connect to the output for the Phones on the Modem router. Argghhh well it would be 2 years to this happen.

Thanks

Has anything change in the last 6 months regarding the provider modem or a other brand one. Telstra use for FTTN a 2 port LAN and 1 port WAN. I need a 4 port for all my wired stuff. Do you think Telstra will have a 4 porter.
    the provider have a 4 porter. (Telstra)

Administrator

Thanks

The Gateway Max 2 has 4 ports, it's the one Telstra supplied to me for FTTN.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (03-08-17)

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast