Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting to Optus D2

Thanks

Default Connecting to Optus D2

Gudday,
    Just a dummy here, needing some help to connect to D2. I have a Dish and decoder which was previously connected to B3. I have had the dish pointed to D3, suposedly. I can not tune in the decoder. I may have the wrong LNB or perhaps the dish may be pointing to another satellite, I believe C1 is very close? Is anyone able to help me with some advice? I am only wanting free to viewing.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Nifty363,

I've moved your thread here, as it has nothing to do with C-Band.

D3 and C1 are co-located... so if your dish points to one, it picks up signals from both.

There's very little free viewing on D3/C1, with the exception of VAST, which requires a VAST decoder and smartcard and you get all those channels via terrestrial anyway.

Yes, there's a lot of free channelson D2, but many are foreign, or religious.... depends on your viewing taste I suppose.

If your dish is currently aligned with C1/D3, it will need to be realigned for D2.

You haven't given your location, but if you enter your address into and select Optus D2, then move the marker to where your dish is (Dishpointer uses Google earth imaging) it will display a line in the approximate direction of where your dish needs to be pointing.

You will however still need to make fine adjustment to optimise signal.

What decoder do you have and have you programmed it for D2?

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (29-01-17)

Thanks

Default Connecting to Optus D2, Sorry I made a typo, D2 is what I want to connect to. The dis

[QUOTE=mtv;727465]Nifty363,

Sorry, I made a typo. D2 is what I want. The dish has supposedly been pointed at D2. The decoder won't accept the specifications for D2. It is a Strong, at least 7 years old. The setup was originally pointed at B3. A tech told me to check the LNB as it might not be correct. Where should I start?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty363 View Post
    The decoder won't accept the specifications for D2.
    What settings are you trying to enter?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

The setup was originally pointed at B3.
    That depends which years it was pointed at B3. B3 was originally at 156°E (where C1/D3 is located today). Then in about 2004 it moved to 152°E where D2 is located today. Since about 2008, it has been in inclined orbit at 164°E, and I think it was even recently de-orbited.

So, depending on which year your dish was pointed, "pointing at B3" could mean any of three different positions (well, two, since the last one is inclined at not possible to receive with an ordinary fixed dish).

From the sounds of it, and if it was set up between 2004 and 2008, you are already pointing at D2.

"Check the LNB" means you need to see if it's skew angle is correct as that will affect signal quality (but if it was already set up it is probably correct), but also need to check if it's a 10700 or 11300 LO frequency LNB, or a universal (9750/10600). It says this on the body of the LNB usually, on a sticker (Something like 10.7GHz, 11.3 GHz, universal, LO 9.75, HI 10.6 or something along those lines). Some LNBs have only one local oscillator (LO) frequency (e.g. 10.7GHz or 11.3GHz) and this, in short, means they can only do frequencies from the satellite in certain ranges (i.e. 11.7 to 12.75 GHz for one with a 10.7GHz LO, or 12.25 to 12.75 GHz for one with a 11.3GHz LO). Some are universal and have two LOs - 9.75GHz and 10.6GHz. These do the whole frequency band. You have to make sure the decoder is set up according to the LNB or you won't receive signals.

The signal coming into your decoder is not the one at 11000 or 12000 MHz, but a much lower one, at about 2000 MHz. How come? Because the LO of the LNB makes that happen (it does this so that you don't lose a lot of signal strength when it flows down the cable). It subtracts that LO value from the original frequency to lower the frequency by 10700 MHz for example.

That's why if your decoder is not set up right, it will subtract the wrong amount of MHz from the tuning frequency (the one on the satellite, e.g. 12000 MHz) and will thus "miss" the signal coming in through the cable (at 1000 to 2000 MHz). The LNB is subtracting its value (on the sticker), but the decoder is subtracting another, so the two don't match up basically. The decoder is not tuning to the right frequency.

But, whether this is your issue, we don't know yet. Worth a check. But, maybe, you are still on the wrong satellite after all, or the LNB skew angle is out, or something.

BTW - there are no trees or anything in the path of the dish to the satellite, right?
    Last edited by irritant; 29-01-17 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks

Thanks all for the info. The setings I'm trying to put in are the ones given by EWTN which is on D2. I will have a look at the LNB tomorrow. Is it likely that the LNB for B3 is Different to the LNB for D2? Maybe I'll try to enliminate the LNB first. The LNB is quite old so maybe I should just replace it anyway. The setup has been taken from one house and put on another.
    And yes it has a clear view. I would get a professional to do this for me, but I have not been able to find one. (I live in Moree). I am assuming that if I don't have a signal for D2 coming into the decoder that the decoder won't accept the settings?

Administrator
    Thanks

Given its age, I would also recommend replacing the LNB, but the old one, assuming it had an LO of 11300 would still be compatible if it's still working.

If you get a new LNB, make sure it has an LO of 10700 as it will be useful if you ever decide to use it on some other satellites later.

The matching LO figure MUST also be entered into the decoder.

The decoder MUST have the correct transponder settings entered FIRST, regardless of the LNB.

Even if the dish and LNB are installed and aligned perfectly... you won't receive a thing if your decoder isn't programed correctly.

According to Lyngsat "EWTN"on D2 uses 12519MHz Vertical polarisation with SR and FEC of 22500-3/4.... have you entered these into your decoder?

You now say "The setup has been taken from one house and put on another." Has the dish been aligned accurately to D2 where it is located now?

If not, it won't be aligned... you can't relocate a dish and expect it just to work unless it has been re-aligned.

What make and model of decoder are you using? (It must be MPEG4 compatible for that channel).

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (30-01-17),Nifty363 (31-01-17)

Thanks

I am assuming that if I don't have a signal for D2 coming into the decoder that the decoder won't accept the settings?
    It depends, but most should allow you to enter the settings, it will just say it has no signal or it's seaching for a signal. It shouldn't stop you from entering the values. It will just be unable to tune in anything.

Thanks

LNB for B3
    That would definitely have been a 11300. If your decoder LNB settings are already on 11300, then it's not the LO that's your problem. LNB is faulty/not skewed properly/dish is misaligned/cable is damaged.

Thanks

Thanks again,
    Yes I think I will replace the lnb. The dish has supposedly been aligned to D2 however of course it may be pointing at another sat. I shall check out the info on the decoder. It is a Strong, but fairly old, Model SRT 4651. It only has mpeg2, so I guess that means a new decoder?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

EWTN is DVB-S Mpeg 2 (see the Lyngsat website) so your existing Strong SRT-4651 will be suitable for reception of this service.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

irritant (31-01-17),mtv (31-01-17),Nifty363 (01-02-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

Sorry,

Saw MPEG 4 listed on the transponder, but it's for a different channel. EWTN is DVB-S Mpeg 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty363
    The dish has supposedly been aligned to D2
    If the LNB isn't working, it would not be possible to align the dish. (Not with a faulty LNB anyway)

irritant (31-01-17)

Thanks

Thanks again, OK the lnb is working I will try on the weekend, if I get a chance.

Thanks

Does it still have a sticker on it? What does it say?

How did you find out it is working?

Thanks

No the sticker is long gone, from the post that says that it is not possible to align a dish without the lnb working. The dish has been aligned to a sat, but it may not be D2. I haven't tried for awhile, but as I remember when I put the figures into the decoder they won't stay there, they disappear. Is there any chance that the decoder made be full of data? if so I might delete soeme that I don't need.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Nifty363 For This Useful Post:

irritant (02-02-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

No the sticker is long gone, from the post that says that it is not possible to align a dish without the lnb working. The dish has been aligned to a sat, but it may not be D2. I haven't tried for awhile, but as I remember when I put the figures into the decoder they won't stay there, they disappear. Is there any chance that the decoder made be full of data? if so I might delete soeme that I don't need.
    It sounds like either the decoder is faulty, or you are doing something wrong.

I think what you need to do is post some screen shots of all your decoder settings, both what is currently in it and the settings you are trying to enter.

Until you get the decoder right, you won't be able to check the alignment of the dish.

Thanks

Sounds like a decoder issue. I'm pretty sure the tuning data on the decoder will be replaced when you re-tune it (i.e. replace the settings) so I don't think it's "full" in that sense. Sounds like odd behaviour, the values disappearing like that. Never heard of or seen that happen before.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    Sounds like odd behaviour, the values disappearing like that. Never heard of or seen that happen before.
    That will happen if they are not 'saved' before exiting.

gulliver (02-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    That will happen if they are not 'saved' before exiting.
    Oh, is that what he meant. Sorry. Now I get it.
    Last edited by irritant; 02-02-17 at 11:40 PM.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    Oh, is that what he meant. Sorry. Now I get it.
    I don't think that's what he meant, it was just my comment of how input settings can be lost... if they are not actually saved.

The OP is very vague on a number of points, which is why I asked him to provide screenshots so we can 'see' what's going on, in an effort to help him.

irritant (03-02-17)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast