Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vast and foxtel

Thanks

Default Vast and foxtel

Hi
    I currently have Vast and still want to keep it and at the moment telstra have a deal with foxtel which i was thinking of getting. How does this work with the vast set top box. Do they use the same dish and the foxtel box just comes off that and that i tell them that i already have a dish. Im totally clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks
    Kylie

Look Here ->
    Thanks

vast and fox use same dish but to use both at the same time you
    would need to make sure that you had a dual 10700 lnb installed
    and a multi switch to feed the decoders.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

As mentioned, you do need a dual output LNB and a multiswitch (or a quad output LNB) as foxtel requires two connections.

Depending on the installer, foxtel may want to install a completely separate dish and cabling, or they may use your existing dish and LNB (if suitable) and just add the extra cabling and multiswitch.

I have known foxtel to take the easiest, fastest method in most cases.... which would be to ulilise what you already have, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will do it in your case.

Regardless, it's all included in the connection to foxtel.

Personally.... I would want a completely separate installation for foxtel, because when they use a dish/LNB that is currently used for VAST, they will adjust the LNB for the best signal for foxtel, which usually reduces the performance of the VAST signal a little bit (VAST uses vertical polarisation and Foxtel uses mostly horizontal polarisation).

If they adjust the LNB for optimum signal on the vertical channels... no problem.

Thanks

When they did my one they wanted to run 2 cables for their flasher box which was part of the deal.
    I said you can run it along side the existing cable
    They said no on the outside easiest route.
    So we left it as my 1 existing cable and got the basic box and a new dish.
    I couldnt use Vast
    But I really just wanted a free dish as my old one was rusty and I ended up with free foxtell for 5 months as I went to cancel after 3 and they gave me another 2 for free to see if I changed my mind

I didnt (footy season was over by then)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Dishtrackted For This Useful Post:

enf (01-02-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I really thought Foxtel would not be agreeable to 'sharing' but would want to run a whole new Dish and cables to connect to their STB's but if the stories are correct and Foxtel is chasing customers, you may get what you want if you push hard enough.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

This is timely as I am having Foxtel installed tomorrow and have also been wondering about how VAST and Foxtel are going to work. I don't want them to use my existing VAST set up - can I insist they install a new dish and wiring?

There is actually an old unused dish on the roof already, which I think may be an old Austar installation or some old internet connection. I'm hoping the'll remove that one and use its cabling - who wants 3 dishes on the roof?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    This is timely as I am having Foxtel installed tomorrow and have also been wondering about how VAST and Foxtel are going to work. I don't want them to use my existing VAST set up - can I insist they install a new dish and wiring?

There is actually an old unused dish on the roof already, which I think may be an old Austar installation or some old internet connection. I'm hoping the'll remove that one and use its cabling - who wants 3 dishes on the roof?
    If it was an Austar dish, then it's now a Foxtel dish, which they should have on their records at your address and they'll use it, upgrade it, replace it, as necessary.

Yes, you can insist on a completely separate installation to your VAST dish, providing your VAST dish was not installed previously by Austar/Foxtel. EG: you own it.

Foxtel will generally only use an existing non-Foxtel dish/LNB when it would be difficult for them to add another dish/cabling.... and with the owner's permission.

Foxtel will also usually only use an existing dish/LNB/Cabling, etc if it meets their specifications and materials are on their 'authorised' list.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    If it was an Austar dish, then it's now a Foxtel dish, which they should have on their records at your address and they'll use it, upgrade it, replace it, as necessary.

Yes, you can insist on a completely separate installation to your VAST dish, providing your VAST dish was not installed previously by Austar/Foxtel. EG: you own it.

Foxtel will generally only use an existing non-Foxtel dish/LNB when it would be difficult for them to add another dish/cabling.... and with the owner's permission.

Foxtel will also usually only use an existing dish/LNB/Cabling, etc if it meets their specifications and materials are on their 'authorised' list.
    Thanks for the info. I'm not sure about the VAST dish as it was installed before I bought the place. I guess all will be revealed tomorrow. The installation is scheduled for any time between 7am and 5pm - it's going to be a long slow day

Premium Member

Thanks

'In the Beginning' as all stories start, VAST WAS only installing 80cm dishes which is just slightly bigger than the one used by Austar/Foxtel at 65cm.
    Note though the PayTV dish can be bigger due to location etc.
    Another difference is that shape of the dish can vary too, some round, some egg shaped and another almost oval in shape.
    Excluding the big mesh dishes, its surprising to see the variations of dish's when driving around towns.

There is an advantage of having a second dish installed is that it can be used (with a bit of fiddling) for the 'Other' service so I would be quite happy to let them put in a new dish, LNB, cables and outlet but it would have to be a dual out LNB and 2 terminal wall connection.

While the Installer wont be wasting any time as he probably has more than yours to do today, hopefully you'll get one who doesnt mind explaining what he is doing.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm not sure about the VAST dish as it was installed before I bought the place. I guess all will be revealed tomorrow. The installation is scheduled for any time between 7am and 5pm - it's going to be a long slow day
    How did you get on with the installation?

Thanks

FYI, I recently had Foxtel re-installed after it was disconnected about 13 years ago. Foxtel told the installer I already had a dish and to just install a new LNB and re-cable.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmatten View Post
    FYI, I recently had Foxtel re-installed after it was disconnected about 13 years ago. Foxtel told the installer I already had a dish and to just install a new LNB and re-cable.
    If theres nothing wrong with the dish and mount, why change it?
    I can see why the LNB has to be changed as it would be the old one that was changed several years ago when they launched C1 and new cable removes any problems that may occur in cable that old.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    If theres nothing wrong with the dish and mount, why change it?
    I can see why the LNB has to be changed as it would be the old one that was changed several years ago when they launched C1 and new cable removes any problems that may occur in cable that old.
    The reason I had Foxtel reconnected was the installation and 2 months premium was free with no contract. After 2 months I cancelled and returned the IQ box, I still have the new dish and LNB.
    The new cable was required as I only had a single coax, IQ boxes require twin coax.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

That's always been my point. What if you're really rich and you have like a top of the range dish like twice the recommended size? Are they still going to want to install one of their own? Seems rather redundant.
    Last edited by irritant; 06-02-17 at 11:41 PM.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Thanks

It went fine. Although, the installation window was 7am to 5pm and they arrived at 5:30pm. Never mind.

There had been Foxtel at the property before apparently, as it was booked as an 'upgrade'. She tried to push me to use the VAST dish for both VAST and Foxtel but I waffled back some lines about differing polarisation, horizontal versus vertical blah blah, but I think she knew I had no idea what I was talking about.

In the end they used the very old looking unused dish which was already on the roof. To my mind that must have been the original Foxtel dish, as the VAST installation would have been much more recent than the Foxtel one, but she insisted that the VAST installation was using the Foxtel dish. Anyway, in the end they connected it up to old dish and it works fine. They ran the cabling from the dish between the guttering and some corrugated tin that makes up the roof of the adjacent patio area, without using conduit. So I'm curious to see how long it is before the edge of the tin severs the cable.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

irritant (07-02-17),mtv (07-02-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

As both VAST and Foxtel use the same satellites to broadcast from direction is not a problem but since both Vertical and Horizontal polarisations are used by Foxte, this combination wont allow more than one STB to be connected to the dish at once without the use of a 'Electronic Multiswitch'
    As Vast only uses vertical (so far) you can 'daisy chain' a dozen or more (there are limits, I'm just joking) on the same cable without using anything special.

I was wondering who the 'She' is you refer to in your post, from Foxtel or someone from the installers as to be honest, I am very surprised to hear of the suggestion of both services sharing although I dont see any reason why it shouldnt be done.

I agree with you that running the cable as they have without even sleeving the Coax where it is near the edge of the corrugated irion sounds pretty slapdash.

Thank you for the update as its been most interesting .
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 07-02-17 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks

As both VAST and Foxtel use the same satellites to broadcast from direction is not a problem but since both Vertical and Horizontal polarisations are used by Foxte, this combination wont allow more than one STB to be connected to the dish at once without the use of a 'Electronic Multiswitch'
    As Vast only uses vertical (so far) you can 'daisy chain' a dozen or more (there are limits, I'm just joking) on the same cable without using anything special.

I was wondering who the 'She' is you refer to in your post, from Foxtel or someone from the installers as to be honest, I am very surprised to hear of the suggestion of both services sharing although I dont see any reason why it shouldnt be done.

I agree with you that running the cable as they have without even sleeving the Coax where it is near the edge of the corrugated irion sounds pretty slapdash.

Thank you for the update as its been most interesting .
    I gathered she was just the sub-contractor, not a Foxtel employee. They had to come from Newcastle (nearly 300km away) as there were apparently no willing installers in our area.

• The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (07-02-17)

Thanks

Quad LNB is another option.

Thanks

Hey Gordon,

When you talk about Multiswitches, do you mean something like this:

?

I'm thinking about doing the VAST+Foxtel thing too, and we're currently using an old Foxtel dish, and don't want to lose VAST. It looks like a 60cm dish with LNB with 2 cables running out of it. So I gather that one of those multiswitches will let us feed both a foxtel and a vast receiver at the same time?

cheers
    k

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kabammi View Post
    Hey Gordon,

When you talk about Multiswitches, do you mean something like this:

?

I'm thinking about doing the VAST+Foxtel thing too, and we're currently using an old Foxtel dish, and don't want to lose VAST. It looks like a 60cm dish with LNB with 2 cables running out of it. So I gather that one of those multiswitches will let us feed both a foxtel and a vast receiver at the same time?

cheers
    k
    yes that is similar to what you will need with a dual 10700 lnb, i suggest this one
    because it allows for expansion and spaun are great units

Last edited by fandtm666; 28-04-17 at 06:01 PM.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast