Thread: Pre Amp output from STB.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Pre Amp output from STB.

My old Strong STB died yesterday and I replaced it with a Teac brand STB and it has the option to supply a 5V 50 mA into a preamp.
    I have seen this feature before but never bothered to ask what it powered until now.
    I have used all sorts of 'preamps' here from one in an aluminium tube run by a 6v lantern battery, Telstar by Ferris Bros and both AC and DC powered Kingray's since I moved here more than 50 years ago but I know nothing about whatever the one is that would run on the STB's 5V output.

Some time ago I saw MTV insert a 'booster' into the balun box on a Phased array so would this be the sort of thing used ?

PS, if your looking to buy anything from Harvey Norman, check any online price first because when my Son went into the store today to buy the STB, it was almost $12 dearer but when he quoted the On Line price, thats what he paid.
    There was nothing on the website about any sales or discounts applicable today I could see.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 05-02-17 at 05:45 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Some time ago I saw MTV insert a 'booster' into the balun box on a Phased array so would this be the sort of thing used ?
    That's exactly what it's for.... providing the preamp is designed to operate on 5V.

There are also 12V versions.

Less common in Australia, but quite common in Europe.

When not powering a preamp, that feature should be turned off.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (06-02-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Apparently it is turned OFF by default which would be the most sensible thing to do for those genius' like me who dont need to read the instructions.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!