Thread: HDMI cable failure.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default HDMI cable failure.

I mentioned in another post I had a few years old Strong STB die a week ago and I replaced it with a TEAC.
    In the Strong I had a Thumb drive plugged in to use as a storage medium and it was when I was setting up a program, the Strong died.
    I can still access the only file stored on the Thumb drive in a computer but I cant do anything else with it as it keeps saying it is 'locked'.
    Both the Strong and the Thumb drive have been connected to the TV for several months as I was using the STB to receive the MPEG4 channels the TV tuner cant but I rarely use the Thumb drive.

Yesterday I bought a new LASAR brand mini sized drive (16GB) that also works on USB 3 and connected it to the TEAC but when I went to see how it works, the video went off, then back after a second or 2 and it was all badly broken up. this On/Off action kept repeating so I turn it off.

I tried the TEAC without the drive but no difference so I disconnected everything and took it including the HDMI lead to another TV where I first used the RCS connectors and got a normal picture, then plugged in the mini drive and it worked too.

Then I tried the HDMI lead and off went the picture, flashing away as before so I changed it for another HDMI lead and everything works normally.
    I also tried the mini drive in one of the Topfield STB's I use and had no problems with either.
    I am at a loss to explain what has happened, Why did the Strong just die when it did, did its 'dying' somehow lock up the thumbdrive and affect the HDMI lead too or is it just sheer coincidence that everything appears to have happened at once?
    Its a good thing though I did go through the process of elimination as I was going to take the TEAC back for repair or replacement which wasnt needed.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

levend (17-02-17),xapi (11-02-17)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i hate hdmi lol got a samsung 3d player out of waranty and the hdmi isnt working samsung advised me to get a tech to check the hdmi port but been out of warranty the cost to look at it wouldn't be worth it?
    Any easy way i can check it?
    And sorry gordon for your problems.

Premium Member

Thanks

levend, I posted this for general information in case anyone else has had similar problems as cables can and do cause problems.
    A few years ago everyone and their dog had RCA leads for EVERYTHING and in some instances the leads failed.
    For some it was because they had been mishandled, badly located/installed or of poor quality and in very rare cases, incompatibility.

I hope other members see your problem as some time ago one of the main manufactures had a major problem for some when the devises were connected via HDMI.
    I note with HDMI they must be inserted correctly and pushed fully home and straight into the socket as they dont like being pressed 'Up' or Down'.

Can you do the following, try at least another HDMI lead, try the DVD player on another TV both with that cable and another, try the RCA/Component leads if the player has them, go through the Player's menu to enure that the HDMI output isnt 'turned off'?

I see in a catalog APO is selling standard DVD players for around $50, go Blu Ray for less than $70 or a portable with battery and 7 swiveling inch screen around the same price.
    Based on that, regrettably its cheaper to replace than repair.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-02-17 at 03:33 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

levend (17-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    levend, I posted this for general information in case anyone else has had similar problems as cables can and do cause problems.
    A few years ago everyone and their dog had RCA leads for EVERYTHING and in some instances the leads failed.
    For some it was because they had been mishandled, badly located/installed or of poor quality and in very rare cases, incompatibility.

I hope other members see your problem as some time ago one of the main manufactures had a major problem for some when the devises were connected via HDMI.
    I note with HDMI they must be inserted correctly and pushed fully home and straight into the socket as they dont like being pressed 'Up' or Down'.

Can you do the following, try at least another HDMI lead, try the DVD player on another TV both with that cable and another, try the RCA/Component leads if the player has them, go through the Player's menu to enure that the HDMI output isnt 'turned off'?

I see in a catalog APO is selling standard DVD players for around $50, go Blu Ray for less than $70 or a portable with battery and 7 swiveling inch screen around the same price.
    Based on that, regrettably its cheaper to replace than repair.
    Yeah did everything and cause i cant get a signal i cant check the menu whatever. Samsung told me to take it to a tech to fix it and i told him what for i can buy another cheaper than what they will charge. I bought another samsung as the lg i wanted Harvey norman didnt have and got it at a decent price 120.00.
    Last edited by levend; 17-02-17 at 08:30 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

If your new player works with that HDMI cable, its a fair chance its the old player is at fault and please note I am NOT complaining or critising what a repairman may charge but I think if the old COULD be repaired and there's no guarantee it can be, they could do so for the $120 cost for a new one with 12 months warranty.
    Theres always the possibilty that even after it was repaired it could fail again at a later date.

You say you tried everything I suggested so am I correct there was no video even on via the AC leads? if not then replacing it completely as you have done is definitely the right way to go I think.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-02-17 at 12:55 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

levend (19-02-17)

QLD The State of ..................... Confusion
    Thanks

yep Gordon HDMI some times can be a pita , my sat box is an Altec dsd 4121 . with Hdmi . to a Samsung 32' .

sometimes it losses signal [not dish , ] i jiggle hdmi connection on input ; output . no probs then ..fer a while ..

as a backup . i Will use Composite / YPbPr ..

yes cables are touchy ,, even the weight of the Cable can enough ta be a prob , if not firmly attached . and allowed ta move ,
    just a minute amount ..

a run a TCL monitor 32' on me main comp - hdmi thru a Vid 2 gig ram V/card ,
    Vga - on me secondary comp - inbuilt Vid .

no probs yet [touch wood]
    . Hey . not Probs ..

i read somewhere that ya can get Hdmi cables with lock connectors , dunno if they are any good tho .

just clarifying , cable probs ...

cheers ...