Thread: Name of PCB connector

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Default Name of PCB connector

Hi folks, I need assistance with finding the name of a fairly common PCB connector.
    It's the type where one board (the lower one) has a row of pins sticking up (like header pins) but they're usually 15-20 mm + long.
    Then the next board sits on top, and the pins actually pass through holes in that board and are clamped inside a connector.
    It makes it easy to fit and remove the top board without any soldering needed.
    Does anyone know the name of this style of connector?
    It's the white connectors in the photo below.

2. Look Here ->
    Thanks

Is it a wire trap connector ?

Thanks

What model is it out of??

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gitch View Post
    It appears to be a Cambridge Audio PPM01 Phono Module, which fits an A1, A2, A5 amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Studio1 View Post
    Hi folks, I need assistance with finding the name of a fairly common PCB connector.
    It's the type where one board (the lower one) has a row of pins sticking up (like header pins) but they're usually 15-20 mm + long.
    Then the next board sits on top, and the pins actually pass through holes in that board and are clamped inside a connector.
    It makes it easy to fit and remove the top board without any soldering needed.
    Does anyone know the name of this style of connector?...
    I haven't seen that particular style connector for many years, but believe that they are called board-to-board connectors. There are some modern style equivalents available as I have used them some years ago.

Although the BOM for the Cambridge unit shown does not refer to the particular connector designations shown in the photograph (or to the phono preamp), it does refer to a 6 pin connector with 2.55mm pin spacing supplied by Yanion, a Chinese components manufacturer. (Yanion part 2300-006100-001. See )

Perhaps Farnell or RS stock something similar.

I have used "stackable header sockets" for a similar purpose - .

I suppose that WES Components are also worth trying.
    Last edited by tristen; 11-02-17 at 09:53 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

BCNZ (12-02-17),Gitch (12-02-17)

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    Is it a wire trap connector ?
    Not specifically. It 'traps' header pins from the underside of the board, which has holes in it - so the header pins come through the board and are gripped by that connector.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitch View Post
    The photo is of a phono pre-amp board, but it's only for identification purposes so you can see what the style of connector is that I am inquiring about.

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    It appears to be a Cambridge Audio PPM01 Phono Module, which fits an A1, A2, A5 amplifier.

I haven't seen that particular style connector for many years, but believe that they are called board-to-board connectors. There are some modern style equivalents available as I have used them some years ago.

Although the BOM for the Cambridge unit shown does not refer to the particular connector designations shown in the photograph (or to the phono preamp), it does refer to a 6 pin connector with 2.55mm pin spacing supplied by Yanion, a Chinese components manufacturer. (Yanion part 2300-006100-001. See )

Perhaps Farnell or RS stock something similar.

I have used "stackable header sockets" for a similar purpose - .

I suppose that WES Components are also worth trying.
    Thanks Tristen. I've seen these used so often, but never known what they were called or who made them.
    I'm working on a design project, where a board needs to be able to slip into place (like the phono board does) with no skill on the part of the installer,
    and this style of connector would do the job perfectly.
    I'll follow up on the links you have given.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BCNZ For This Useful Post:

tristen (12-02-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

The Cambridge Audio product, which utilised the pre-amp pcb shown, was manufactured in the 1990's, so I think that 'particular' component will be obsolete by now and replaced by a miniaturised version.

I will be interested to know what progress you make with this, so please keep us informed.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure they were also used in a lot of CRT television (for those who remember them)... And if my memory serves me correctly (what ever I remember them being in) they were bastards!! Forever being dirty and corroded, which then caused them to heat up and create dry joints or burnt connectors. And of course it only ever happened after the set had been in for an unrelated service but had to reseated...

Anyway, that aside, yeah there a heaps of PCB-PCB connectors now days and they are a hell of a lot better. Depends on what you are planning to do. I've used some recently (24pin surface mount) that allowed about 0.5mm between sandwiched boards. In the prototype, I used larger style similar to jumper connectors (as I could also use jumpers and ribbon cables) that allowed for about an 8mm gap. In addition - even though the connectors are self retaining, I'm an advocate for providing a more physically secure method to keep the boards joined and have so far always allowed for at least a single mounting screw. For a new design, it is surprising how much research is required for what I first thought was such a simple component.

Thanks

I think what you are after is also called header connector and PCB receptacles. I put a link to one of the sites