Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackout in SA

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    In every power grid there are weak links that if broken will interrupt the supply between Generator and the user.
    When SA lost the power during that major storm, it wasnt a problem with the generation be it Coal, Gas, Wind or Solar but the demolition of the transmission lines.

Power loss by storm damage or equipment failure is one thing but 'Power Shedding' because there is more draw on the system than it can generate is an entirely different matter and can be mostly eliminated when designing the system in the first place and should never happen if the design is done properly to allow for more users to use it in the future.
    Tell Terry Mcrann that! he was in the Murdoch Press yesterday stating although 20# towers toppled, he has only admitted 4# in the past, it was still the wind power generator fault. It did hi lite tho that the wind generators had been missed programmed but even the remaining ones were producing maximum power to compensate but could not supply Adelaide due to the power lines being down
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dishtrackted View Post
    Peta Credlin admits the climate change policy under Julia Gillard's Labor government was never a carbon tax, but the coalition used that label to stir up brutal retail politics.
    Oh...well if Peta Credlin says it, it must be true FFS

You had to pay the government for the amount of CO2 you emitted = Carbon Tax.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

enf (16-02-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

The latest on the recent 'Power Shedding' in SA was that 'It was a Mistake and the Distributor is apologising for the error as it wasnt needed'.
    This is appearing on the scrolling banner on Sky News ch 601 0n Foxtel this morning.

In my cynical old age I believe when a Government rubbishes anything, its usually for 2 reasons, one is that it was the 'Other' Party who thought of it or those who support them arent getting anything out of it.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-02-17),enf (23-02-17),irritant (19-02-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

'Power shedding' as a result of the high demand on electricity
    All the South Africans in Australia should feel a great taste of home with that one!
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-02-17)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

I'm just so glad I have a standalone power system & don't depend on the grid supply of power, well, except when I go to town & depend on the hole in the wall or an eftpos machine for money.:/
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

It seems battery storage is the solution and its on its way

"An Australian company says it will build solar and battery facilities in SA this year with enough storage capacity to meet the power shortfall that caused blackouts in the state 10 days ago.

David Green, a partner of Lyon Group, told The Australian Financial Review he was "very confident" his firm would install two 50 megawatt battery storage facilities in SA this year after signing an equity finance agreement with $13 billion US-based hedge fund Magnetar Capital.

Mr Green said that the facilities linked to large-scale solar generation that Lyon Group planned to build would have "easily been enough" to meet the crisis on February 8 that cut power to 90,000 homes in SA when a surge in peak electricity demand during a heatwave and problems with gas and renewables caused a shortfall of 100 megawatts a power."

Last edited by Dishtrackted; 20-02-17 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks

Interesting that there was 40000 in NSW without coal fired power and barely a word is spoken

The COALalition isnt out traditionally fondling a lump of coal and blaming ugly wind turbines and communist loving solar

Suppose the mining industry didnt spend $22 million dollars to get rid of Rudd and his mining tax and expect their COALalition not to act in their interests.
    Thats how democracy works today

Last edited by Dishtrackted; 20-02-17 at 11:50 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dishtrackted View Post
    It seems battery storage is the solution and its on its way

"An Australian company says it will build solar and battery facilities in SA this year with enough storage capacity to meet the power shortfall that caused blackouts in the state 10 days ago.

David Green, a partner of Lyon Group, told The Australian Financial Review he was "very confident" his firm would install two 50 megawatt battery storage facilities in SA this year after signing an equity finance agreement with $13 billion US-based hedge fund Magnetar Capital.

Mr Green said that the facilities linked to large-scale solar generation that Lyon Group planned to build would have "easily been enough" to meet the crisis on February 8 that cut power to 90,000 homes in SA when a surge in peak electricity demand during a heatwave and problems with gas and renewables caused a shortfall of 100 megawatts a power."

WOW, who ever would have believed that this is possible !!!!!

Of course there is still one Teeeny Weeeny Tiny miniscule caveat to this proposal and that is that the supply FROM this facility to the user doesnt get 'blown over' as those transmission lines did recently in SA.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

allover (20-02-17),Guiseppe (21-02-17)

Thanks

WOW, who ever would have believed that this is possible !!!!!

Of course there is still one Teeeny Weeeny Tiny miniscule caveat to this proposal and that is that the supply FROM this facility to the user doesnt get 'blown over' as those transmission lines did recently in SA.
    People with vested interests in Coal will always blame wind power
    Only way around that is domestic battery storage

Premium Member

Thanks

This is a company in SA who think they have the answer to storage via molten silicon @1414 Degrees celsius and have completed trials. A little reading tells you that molten silicon plus turbine generator is un competitive, but these guys are going to use an existing gas fired turbine thus eliminating that cost, claims of $70 a Mwh (?) Energy comes from wind power and solar off peak rates

Premium Member

Thanks

Yesterday My Wife and I went to see her 80 yr old mother just out of Hospital from having a knee replaced and as we drove I saw on the horizon the top of the Mount Piper Power station chimney against a cool calm blue sky background, what did I see pouring out of this coal fired boiler chimney ??

BLOOODY NOTHING, not even HEAT waves and thats been the scene since the station first began operating.

I know the boilers were working because I could see the steam rising from the coolant towers beside the chimney stack.

Many years ago I had been through the control room of the now closed Wallerawang power station to see the equipment used in it to measure and record what came out of that chimney and from reports of what was put into Mount Piper to monitor its output, it was much more sensitive.

I have no 'vested' interest in Coal now as I use a wood heater now.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (23-02-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    All the South Africans in Australia should feel a great taste of home with that one!
    haha .. that's a funny slip. I didn't noticed I picked up the wrong url.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

eaglem (23-02-17),irritant (21-02-17)

Thanks

BLOOODY NOTHING, not even HEAT waves and thats been the scene since the station first began operating.
    For me this issue is not whether coal is "clean", "dirty" or somewhere in between: It is Turnbull's blaming SA's reliance on wind power (electricity) rather than correctly stating that it was the power of the wind that blew down the transmission towers.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    haha .. that's a funny slip. I didn't noticed I picked up the wrong url.
    Huh? I'm not following.

Your image seems to be the right one, or am I missing something?
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Premium Member
    Thanks

It's just a little confusion over the 'SA' which has a different meaning to denizens of Oz (South Australia) compared to those of South Africa.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

irritant (23-02-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I worked at AGL up until 2010 and saw generation in SA that was available not being put on line even back then. This causes the demand to go up ie price and what normally would be a $30-40 per megawatt day turns into $10,000/Me making the company millions. If people think there is no market manipulation by the big players....they're kidding themselves. It also puts pressure on the small retailers that don't hedge themselves for these types of events putting some out of biz.

.........Leroy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

And I see today that Coca Cola has announced it is quitting Adelaide and heading interstate with a loss of 200 jobs. I wonder why that would be ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

irritant (23-02-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Caroma (makes bathroom fixtures) is also quitting. SA (the other one) is starting to look very attractive.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    And I see today that Coca Cola has announced it is quitting Adelaide and heading interstate with a loss of 200 jobs. I wonder why that would be ?
    Because their water is shit house????

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast