Thread: Warning !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

Default Warning !

i recently had the pleasure of reviewing a new ransomware

its called spora

i went to my care service providers website to find a phone number, it was all gibberish, a popup says install chrome font, so i did (not thinking)
    bad move, encrypted every rar, jpeg, pdf, .docx .xlsx ect,

i contacted our old pal Joey's dr web security from germany & sent a sample in, no go they said. although most av's ect should flag this, aparantly google chrome browser does not
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

enf (14-04-17),joezep (13-04-17),OSIRUS (13-04-17),Tiny (13-04-17),tristen (14-04-17)

Look Here ->
    Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

I'm glad I only use my pc for entertainment.
    If I get something like this I'll just format and re-install.

Thanks

yea im getting that way, might just print things out lol
    least it left all my movies alone

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

& you didn't have a backup??
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

enf (14-04-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

...or you could just stop using the most "popular" browsers and OS.
    I have never had the pleasure to review any kind of malware personally and have long given up on fixing other ppl's windows/chrome stuffups, other than file recovery when still possible.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    & you didn't have a backup??
    well, most of my pics are on facebook somewhere, emails were ok, lost a few invoices ect

i had backup copies but not real offline backups, i dont mind starting fresh now & them, shes a lean clean machine now lol

this is just conversing, the thing with these file encryption things is it will go through any usb devises as well, backups need to be in another format

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    well, most of my pics are on facebook somewhere, emails were ok, lost a few invoices ect

i had backup copies but not real offline backups, i dont mind starting fresh now & them, shes a lean clean machine now lol

this is just conversing, the thing with these file encryption things is it will go through any usb devises as well, backups need to be in another format
    Not sure if this will be of any assistance.

A few years back I had a HDD crash on a HP DV6.....took me days to rebuild the new HDD....Windows/Office/eMail and all the other painful peripheral setups (no, Tiny, no damn backup!)

That experience got me looking at backup stuff...found Macrium Reflect Free, and have used it ever since.

I use it to keep an image of my HDD...it's saved my bacon (and sanity) several times since, when nasties have happened.

The downside is I have to remember to renew the saved image every so often (I generally keep the last two or three)....something I do every week or so, or after major Windows or Norton updates (becomes a habit after a while).

Beauty of it (apart from being free and fully supported) is that when TSHTF, I just format the HDD (getting rid of any potential nasties, including ones that like USB), reboot the computer with the boot DVD which one makes from the Reflect program when first installed, and the boot DVD contains and runs all the software necessary to reinstall the disc image, which I store on an external 1Tb pocket drive.

Takes about an hour from go to whoa, and you have a restored computer identical to whenever you took the last image.

I have images stored for three different computers on the pocket drive (only one connected to the 'net, the other two just workhorses) and have had need to use all three at different times, and have been damned glad I had them when needed.

Reflect Free available here:

Been using it for a few years now....never let me down....damn good program.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

If a site ever asks me to update ANYTHING, the first thing I do is shut down whatever browser session I am on and go the website of the purported author. e.g. if they say flash is out of date, I will go to the Adobe website and check the latest version. So far I've not gotten anything worse than the occasional BHO.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Tiny (14-04-17)

Thanks

yes i was very careless, i have now made a image & daily backup up docs ect in a extension that cant be encrypted (i hope)

my excuse though is ive only just converted to chrome & it was going well so when this popped up i just assumed it was a chrome thingy, its very convincing from the look

Thanks

And thats why Ive moved away from windoz , im running Ubuntu on a few machines without any aniti virus software for the past 12 months and have never had any problems at all , i still use windoz but only when i have to and only offline.

JH