Hi All,

I wanted to share my recent experience with Samsung and see if anyone else on austech has had the same issue.

My son went on a plan in August last year and has been meticulous in the way he has looked after his phone - for the record, he's on the spectrum so he treats his phone with extra care. We also made sure that it was in a protective case (rubber etc).

On his first day back 2 weeks ago, he had the phone in his pocket and after an hour, put his hand in and felt something sharp - pulled it out and noticed that his camera glass had shattered. When he told me, I was sceptical and was sure he had dropped it but he assured me that he hadn't and when we checked the phone, there were no marks anywhere on the phone or on the case.

When I checked on the net, I noticed many instances of Samsung customers with exactly the same issue. With this in mind, I thought I'd take it to Samsung as I had heard bad reports of Boomerang (Optus' phone repairer).

Samsung inspected the phone and basically stated that it had suffered from impact damage and I would have to pay $266 for the repair. I then proceeded to ask to speak to a manager and was referred to their VOC (voice of customer service). 1 week later, without any other contact, Samsung send me an SMS to say that VOC had reviewed the case and they would wave the labour cost and would charge me $199. What about discussing it with me first? So much for VOC....

I have liaised with Fair Trading but they couldn't do anything else so they have referred me to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal. On a matter of principal, I am proceeding with this and am happy to pay the $48 to lodge the case. Given that there have been several reported issues with this glass, and Samsung claim in each one that the user was at fault (each one had identical bullet like breakage on the camera glass), you would think that they would agree to pay but no - just in case they wanted to repair their damaged reputation.

So, after that long preamble, my question to you all is - have any of you experienced similar issues with the S7 and if so, what was the outcome with Samsung? I'm not keen to take it to a third party as the phone is only 6 months into a 2 year deal and I could have done it myself but won't for the same reason.

Happy to hear your experience.

Thanks,

BS