Thread: Samsung Galaxy S7 Broken Camera Glass

Thanks

Default Samsung Galaxy S7 Broken Camera Glass

Hi All,

I wanted to share my recent experience with Samsung and see if anyone else on austech has had the same issue.

My son went on a plan in August last year and has been meticulous in the way he has looked after his phone - for the record, he's on the spectrum so he treats his phone with extra care. We also made sure that it was in a protective case (rubber etc).

On his first day back 2 weeks ago, he had the phone in his pocket and after an hour, put his hand in and felt something sharp - pulled it out and noticed that his camera glass had shattered. When he told me, I was sceptical and was sure he had dropped it but he assured me that he hadn't and when we checked the phone, there were no marks anywhere on the phone or on the case.

When I checked on the net, I noticed many instances of Samsung customers with exactly the same issue. With this in mind, I thought I'd take it to Samsung as I had heard bad reports of Boomerang (Optus' phone repairer).

Samsung inspected the phone and basically stated that it had suffered from impact damage and I would have to pay $266 for the repair. I then proceeded to ask to speak to a manager and was referred to their VOC (voice of customer service). 1 week later, without any other contact, Samsung send me an SMS to say that VOC had reviewed the case and they would wave the labour cost and would charge me $199. What about discussing it with me first? So much for VOC....

I have liaised with Fair Trading but they couldn't do anything else so they have referred me to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal. On a matter of principal, I am proceeding with this and am happy to pay the $48 to lodge the case. Given that there have been several reported issues with this glass, and Samsung claim in each one that the user was at fault (each one had identical bullet like breakage on the camera glass), you would think that they would agree to pay but no - just in case they wanted to repair their damaged reputation.

So, after that long preamble, my question to you all is - have any of you experienced similar issues with the S7 and if so, what was the outcome with Samsung? I'm not keen to take it to a third party as the phone is only 6 months into a 2 year deal and I could have done it myself but won't for the same reason.

Happy to hear your experience.

Thanks,

BS

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I have an S7 that lives in a protective case because I am notoriously bad on phones. So far my camera lens is intact. Thanks for the warning, though. If mine breaks they will have fun proving that my problem was self inflicted.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Which pocket was it in ?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I repair them all the time - seriously purchase a replacement glass off ebay it's a piece of glass stuck on the camera frame - if he hasn't damaged the aluminium part of the camera frame or the camera then its a 1 minute job

f
    Last edited by freakee1; 14-02-17 at 08:35 PM.
    有段者

Thanks

hoe - it was in his pants right pocket....
    freakee1 - I know but it's the matter of principal. If i have to pay then I will look at that as an option.

My son thinks it could have been because of the heat

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Hmm, unfortunately keeping the phone in the front trouser pocket subjects them to lots of twisting and bending stresses.
    I've always kept mine in shirt pocket.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Tiny (15-02-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

People dont realise how many times a day they come in contact with often hard objects around hip high such as counters, chairs, tables, hand rails, the list is endless and most times this contact is ignored until you may notice a small 50 mm bruise on the hip and wonder where the Hell did that come from??

How many have walked through some sort of turnstile and had to push to get it to rotate ?
    Have you ever your hands full and tried to open or close a door using their hip against it and where is that pressure the most, right around the pocket area.

The worst place I believe is putting these Phones in a Hip Pocket due to the pressure put on that area when sitting down and its so easy for Phone to dislodge from there and fall to the ground which usually results in terminal damage.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 16-02-17 at 11:36 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

freakee1 (16-02-17),lsemmens (17-02-17),Tiny (16-02-17),tristen (16-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    The worst place I believe is putting these Phones in a Hip Pocket due to the pressure put on that area when sitting down and its so easy for Phone to dislodge from there and fall to the ground which usually results in terminal damage.
    and the amount of bent phones I have fixed too - back pocket/hip pocket will easily bend the metal back & break the glass/LCD of a phone

mine is my man purse - I always carry mine now

f
    有段者

Thanks

I had two Samsung dumb phones, the candy bar style. Both of them experienced breakage of the plastic display window when I ran my thigh into the same chair at the office. I switched to another brand and never had the problem again.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    "Have Spectrum Analyzer, - Will travel".

Thanks

Just an update. Went to the NSW Civil and Administrative tribunal last friday.

The Samsung rep was not authorised to come up with any other offers other than the original waiver of labour costs. I am now proceeding to a hearing in 6-8 weeks time. I'm doing this on principle as the court costs would have almost paid the $60 repair cost. The fact that 3 OS lawfirms are looking at class actions and based on Facebook posts and Samsung forums, over 100 users (who bothered to post) have reported the same issue give me hope. Remarkable that all the photos from the forums have the same damage in the same spot on the phones

LSemmens
    Thanks

I just realised. I ran over my S7 last week and the only bit of glass that didn't break was the camera lens! Picked up my replacement yesterday, and, yes, all is still intact.

Thanks

Final update. I had my tribunal hearing yesterday. Samsung continued to claim that it was owner neglect. The tribunal member examined the phone and commented how there was no damage or markings to the phone apart from the lens damage. Samsung could not provide any technical proof to show that it was owner inflicted damage and as such, there was no reason to withhold the warranty so the phone is now being repaired as a warranty item.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Slogger For This Useful Post:

freakee1 (06-06-17),mtv (06-06-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Worth the effort, Bobby, even if it cost you a lot of time and stress.