Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard drive speeds

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Default Hard drive speeds

Hey guys,

I am eyeing out a laptop I want to buy, very nice specs and so on, but comes with a 1 TB hard drive.

They have a spec-option though and they'll do:

- 1 TB hard drive @ 7200 rpm
    - 2 TB hard drive @ 5400 rpm

That leads me to my question. Which one?

What does it mean, performance wise, which speed you choose? Will one actually see it in performance, data writing speed (like when transferring files), where exactly does one see or feel the difference between 5400 and 7200 rpm?

Never actually given this thought before to be honest.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

I'm a little surprised that 5400 rpm is around.

The faster the rpm, generally the faster it reads/writes.

Personally, I'd be going with a SSD.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

enf (24-02-17),irritant (23-02-17)

Thanks

Yeah, SSD would be nice, but OK, this is basically when you buy the machine they fit an HDD.

Thanks, yeah, so 7200 rpm it is then.

But OK, like where do you "see" the effect though? Is it like when you're saving a Word doc and it takes a few seconds when you hit the save button, or like when you're opening explorer and you get that "working on it..." message?
    Last edited by irritant; 23-02-17 at 08:27 PM.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Thanks

You should see bugger all difference between a 7200 and 5400 rpm drive while saving a word document or opening windows explorer.
    I would make the choice between the two depending on which is more important to you, speed or battery life, the 7200rpm HDD should be a little faster, but the 5400rpm HDD should use less power.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tech4U For This Useful Post:

enf (24-02-17),irritant (23-02-17)

Thanks

In my experience, 7200 rpm is noticibly faster and snappier in real World use - particularly for things that generate a lot of seek activity - like booting Windows. Saving a single large file - probably not much faster for that.

The main advantage is in lower latency - if the disk spins faster, then on average, the disk controller has less time to wait for the sector it wants to read to spin around under the head after seeking to a new track. In enterprise environments, 10k RPM and 15k rpm drives are common, but big power consumption and $$$.

If speed is at all important, get an SSD.

[edit: and good hard drives are so cheap these days, that if you don't like the disk supplied with the machine, just turf it and put the disk you want in. Hint: SSD gives a massive boost in performance]
    Last edited by shred; 24-02-17 at 06:18 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

enf (24-02-17),irritant (24-02-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    If speed is at all important, get an SSD.

[edit: and good hard drives are so cheap these days, that if you don't like the disk supplied with the machine, just turf it and put the disk you want in. Hint: SSD gives a massive boost in performance]
    I totally agree with shred's above statement but swapping HDD's in some laptops can be a challenge......some are as simple as a couple of screws and a nice access panel to having to gut the machine to get to it. Google how easy it is for your laptop before you consider this step.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

enf (24-02-17),irritant (24-02-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    I totally agree with shred's above statement but swapping HDD's in some laptops can be a challenge......some are as simple as a couple of screws and a nice access panel to having to gut the machine to get to it. Google how easy it is for your laptop before you consider this step.
    I concur with this completely. I have three laptops in the house and I made sure all had easy access to the HD, Wifi card and RAM. They are all ASUS machines and I have put SSDs in the two that didn't have one. The performance increase is phenomenal. Just hang a HD like a Passport off the side if you want space.

You can also get drive caddies that slide into the optical slot instead of the bluray/dvd drive. These will accept a HD or SSD. Then on the odd occasion you may need an optical drive you can use an external one. There are certain advantages to this especially with bluray laptop drives.

Of course, if its a new machine, then you will almost certainly void the warranty so take that into account.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

irritant (24-02-17)

QLD The State of ..................... Confusion
    Thanks

Go for the 7200 ,
    [ i presume it's Sata , not Pata ] , - as it will have , more CACHE , which is a big plus ,,
    even ask what cache it is eg , 16 , 32 , 64 MB ,

the speed , is noticeable with access times ,, depending on the CPU , Ram etc ..

SSD is the way ta go , but if your like me , i cannot afford one with the amount a space i want ..

i can buy a Sata 7200 1Tb 3.5' , fer 70au$$ , ssd is outta my range - pension an' all ...

I carve up me drives to at least 4 Partitions , for movies , data . music , Backups etc ..

hope this helps ..

... edit , OR - as Enf says ,,[ was posted whilst i was thinking ....]
    Last edited by manfromironbark; 24-02-17 at 08:50 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to manfromironbark For This Useful Post:

irritant (24-02-17)

Thanks

If you do go with switching out the hdd I have one of these hdd in my laptop .Its a hybrid ssd/hdd not as good as dedicated ssd but better than a standard 7200 hdd for read write and boot times . (affordable as well )
    Last edited by carjackma; 24-02-17 at 10:41 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to carjackma For This Useful Post:

irritant (24-02-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    Hey guys,

I am eyeing out a laptop I want to buy, very nice specs and so on, but comes with a 1 TB hard drive.

They have a spec-option though and they'll do:

- 1 TB hard drive @ 7200 rpm
    - 2 TB hard drive @ 5400 rpm

That leads me to my question. Which one?

What does it mean, performance wise, which speed you choose? Will one actually see it in performance, data writing speed (like when transferring files), where exactly does one see or feel the difference between 5400 and 7200 rpm?

Never actually given this thought before to be honest.
    Ask your self what you need it for ?

For me the 2TB option would be the way to go because my demands on a laptop is having a huge amount of data available 'on the go' where I don't have (or want to pay for expensive) Internet. I do stuff like downloading the entire Wikipedia, every music video I like on utube, huge ebook/emag and electronic data collections, etc. I like to be independant.
    I want this all in one piece with me and not an anoying external HD dangling around.
    For me superfast SSD makes no sense in a laptop, I have something else for gaming and video encoding.
    Boot time irrelavant, all my lappies just go to sleep and are instantly on when needed.

Everybody is different
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 24-02-17 at 11:02 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

irritant (24-02-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

if the 2tb is worth what i just looked up, $145
    id flog it off, buy a 250 ssd for $120 & a 500gb usb for say $60 or as above try a sshd
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

irritant (24-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Ask your self what you need it for ?

For me the 2TB option would be the way to go because my demands on a laptop is having a huge amount of data available 'on the go' where I don't have (or want to pay for expensive) Internet. I do stuff like downloading the entire Wikipedia, every music video I like on utube, huge ebook/emag and electronic data collections, etc. I like to be independant.
    I want this all in one piece with me and not an anoying external HD dangling around.
    For me superfast SSD makes no sense in a laptop, I have something else for gaming and video encoding.
    Boot time irrelavant, all my lappies just go to sleep and are instantly on when needed.

Everybody is different
    Best of both worlds?
    SSD for boot/programs
    2tb for data

Done

• The Following User Says Thank You to irwazza For This Useful Post:

irritant (24-02-17)

Thanks

Thanks guys. Yeah, when I really think about it, 2 TB I reckon will fill up pretty quick nowadays (I like HD 1080p videos , and 4K in the future) so I think SSD is the way to go, and then get an external HDD. I saw a nice one of 8 TB yesterday.

I am going to find out if I can spec it up with an SSD from the manufacturer, instead of an HDD. Yeah it's also an ASUS machine.

It's the G752, and they'll do you up to 64 GB DDR-4 RAM, which is nice (it has four slots inside, for 16 GB modules). It's probably silly, but I can never have enough RAM.
    Last edited by irritant; 24-02-17 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks

It's the G752

Probably should lead with that next time mate, the G752 comes standard with an SSD as the OS drive, with that in mind, I'd be going with the larger 2TB HDD, as rotational speed isn't going to make much difference at all when only being used as a storage drive.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tech4U For This Useful Post:

irritant (24-02-17)

Thanks

I think SSD is the way to go, and then get an external HDD
    If the laptop supports mSATA, you may be able to have your cake and eat it too. The mSATA SSD drives just look like a big RAM module. Here's a (randomly chosen) example:

If you do start looking at SSDs, don't get too hung up on comparing the speeds of them - they're all blisteringly fast compared to a rust drive.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

irritant (24-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tech4U View Post
    Probably should lead with that next time mate, the G752 comes standard with an SSD as the OS drive, with that in mind, I'd be going with the larger 2TB HDD, as rotational speed isn't going to make much difference at all when only being used as a storage drive.
    Oh yes, you're right. Just went and checked it again and sure enough - PCIE x 4 256/512 GB. Can't believe I missed it!

Sometimes it seems I'm getting stupider by the day. You have permission to clobber me upside the head for that one.

Thanks

What do you guys think of the lappy itself as a whole? Pretty good?

Would like to output the display to a 28-inch 4K monitor too.
    Last edited by irritant; 24-02-17 at 09:01 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

What do you guys think of the lappy itself as a whole? Pretty good?

Would like to output the display to a 28-inch 4K monitor too.
    All my machines are ASUS machines...two are ROG machines. I would get the biggest HDD available as the laptop itself will be uber fast with the SSD. I would not void the warranty either, although I have never had an issue with one. Access to the HDD, SSD and RAM is easy as there is a removable flap underneath that exposes those parts. There are also online guides from the ROG community for upgrading if you want to use them....

I would assume that the graphics card would do 4K...so you will need a port to run the monitor. But it should not be a problem...

I dont think HDMI will do 60hz....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

irritant (25-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I dont think HDMI will do 60hz....
    I think it has a mini display port, so I guess one needs a cable that goes from mini-DP to DP, as the input on most 4K monitors is HDMI and DP. Or mini-DP to DVI.

QLD The State of ..................... Confusion
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tech4U View Post
    no offence intended Adrian , just constructive mate ,

yep in 1st post , would be good ta know tha rig + specs ,
    than all could take an informed opinion .

me and my statement about Pata -Sata , i feel like a Dinosaur..... [ bit me tongue ] .

i have also looked it up , comes with small Boot SSD and Sata secondary ..

I agree with Tech on this ,,

Geez , all my beloved stuff , is OOOLD.... , but works fer me .

I have 2 Toshiba lappys , Intel 3.02 's on me office shelf . i fire them up now and again [XP] . 17yrs old ....

but all in all Adrian , great bloody rig man , you will have fun with it ..
    again , not being offensive ...

Cheers ..

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manfromironbark For This Useful Post:

enf (25-02-17),irritant (25-02-17)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast