Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard drive speeds

QLD The State of ..................... Confusion
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I dont think HDMI will do 60hz....
    no offence again . my hdmi from pc Pci -x Vid card runs 60hz on 32" [ but thats max as of specs ]

just takes a bit of rooting around ta get tha proper resolution , i settle on 1024 x 768 - 32 bit ,

works good on 32" screen with my eyesight ..

just saying ,,,

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manfromironbark For This Useful Post:

enf (25-02-17),irritant (25-02-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manfromironbark View Post
    no offence again . my hdmi from pc Pci -x Vid card runs 60hz on 32" [ but thats max as of specs ]

just takes a bit of rooting around ta get tha proper resolution , i settle on 1024 x 768 - 32 bit ,

works good on 32" screen with my eyesight ..

just saying ,,,
    Why would I take offence? ....

I've never hung a screen off any of mine so I wouldn't know but that sounds right. One of mine has a mini display port although I've never used it for anything...

I have hooked one up to the TV via HDMI though, to watch some streamed sport. When you get the TV settings right, its fine.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

irritant (25-02-17),manfromironbark (25-02-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Just to clarify HDMI version 1.4x (what most generic laptops have these days) can do 4K only in 30Hz. Lower resolutions faster with version 1.4b up to 120Hz in 1080p(used for 3D).

However this nice lappy you are considering has the GTX980M GPU which is HDMI Version 2 and runs 4K in 60Hz. It also has an HDMI port acording to the specs.
    So you must consider that the 4K 28" monitor you want to use actually has HDMI 2 and lot of 4K TVs do not.

I would use at least 40" for 4K.
    On small monitors it does not make much difference, but the writing gets ridiculously small.

Playing No Man's Sky would rock on that machine in 4K.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 25-02-17 at 05:19 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (26-02-17),irritant (25-02-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    On small monitors it does not make much difference, but the writing gets ridiculously small.
    That's true yes. On my Samsung 28-inch 4K I must say though, many of the programs and Win10 adjust themselves somehow and they appear quite normal. There are only one or two that keep the original pixel ratio. Like Google Earth's icons, lettering and Panaramio photos (when they were still running) shows up really small. But Chrome for example, is small right in the beginning when you first use the monitor, then the next time you start up, it's adjusted itself.

Edit: no offense taken manfromironbark. I have to confess I actually did not read through the other specs on the machine before I made the post about the HDD. I was intrigued by the speeds of the HDDs, so kind of "forgot" about posting other details.
    Last edited by irritant; 25-02-17 at 06:20 PM.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

the 1 & only time i hooked up A 4k 27" monitor i had to use a vga card that supported approx 4000x2000 pixels @ 30 herts the icons on the desktop were so incredible small it was unusable to the standard eye
    '
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

irritant (25-02-17)

Thanks

I must add, I ran it through HDMI, so don't know if that made the difference.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Thanks

Hey guys, so been checking out some more things and was reading up on the Intel Core i7 6820HK processor option, and on the specs for this processor it says maximum memory channels = 2.

So, what exactly does that mean? If I choose this processor for the lappy, will it only let me fit two RAM modules (i.e. 32 GB and not the 64 GB I wanted)? The ASUS G752 has four slots for 16 GB modules.

Same story for the other option - Intel Core i7 6700HQ processor - also max. memory channels = 2.

Is number of "memory channels" related to number of RAM slots one can fill at all? Or max amount of memory one can put in?
    Last edited by irritant; 27-02-17 at 07:25 AM.

Thanks

OK, did some more reading up, and memory channels says something about bandwidth operation, then they have specs there of max memory bandwidth 34.1 GB/s.

So, does this mean 34.1 GB/s per single channel, or how does it work?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

All any of that means in the real world is that Its really f*cking fast.

Mine has a 4720hq processor and its just Really fast

I hope that clears that up.....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

irritant (27-02-17),manfromironbark (27-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    All any of that means in the real world is that Its really f*cking fast.

Mine has a 4720hq processor and its just Really fast

I hope that clears that up.....
    Thanks

Yeah, for sure, but I just don't want to end up in that situation where you fit x amount of RAM, and because of the processor it only 'reads' a smaller amount, because that does happen sometimes. Then I'd rather just fit till whatever can be 'read' and save the extra few bucks.

Thanks

OK, finally found out about it - just means you can run two different types of RAM modules simultaneously (i.e. 2133 and 1600 for example).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    OK, finally found out about it - just means you can run two different types of RAM modules simultaneously (i.e. 2133 and 1600 for example).
    That's not actually correct mate, dual channel memory allows the system to double the bandwidth between the CPU and RAM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tech4U For This Useful Post:

irritant (28-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tech4U View Post
    That's not actually correct mate, dual channel memory allows the system to double the bandwidth between the CPU and RAM.
    Yeah, I was going to say I read about bandwidth. This was an explanation a tech guy gave to me at a local PC shop. So, is this in any way related to the quoted 34 GB/s figure they give?

Thanks

To calculate the bandwidth you can use the formula DDR clock rate x 8, so using DDR4-2133 memory we get 2133 x 8 = 17064MB/s per channel.
    In dual channel mode you double the bandwidth, so 17064 x 2 = 34128MB/s or 34.1GB/s

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tech4U For This Useful Post:

irritant (28-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tech4U View Post
    To calculate the bandwidth you can use the formula DDR clock rate x 8, so using DDR4-2133 memory we get 2133 x 8 = 17064MB/s per channel.
    In dual channel mode you double the bandwidth, so 17064 x 2 = 34128MB/s or 34.1GB/s
    Thanks Tech4U. That explains it very well.

Been looking around some more, and seems the 7th generation i7 (the '7700K') is out already too, so I'm going to wait just a little longer I reckon.

Thanks

OK, should probably also just state why I'm so anal about the speed, etc. - looking to do some GIS/mapping with my machine which requires quite a bit of resources. Lots of intense data processing.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12