Thread: Dual 1215 turntable service

Thanks

Default Dual 1215 turntable service

Yes I know it is getting on for 50 years old but it is still a good unit - well in my opinion anyway.

I have been able to get it to a stage where I can play records but the mechanism is so stiff it will not complete the shut down sequence.

Given that some of the pivot points are in difficult positions what do I need to:

(a) dissolve the congealed lubricants, and

(b) lubricate them. The Service manual quotes about 5 different "oils" ... for a drop or so on each point!
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I've repaired many such units in my early servicing days.

Try some Isopropyl (Industrial) Alcohol applied with a stiff brush (a paint brush cut down so that its bristles are no longer flexible but stiff to the touch is usually ideal).

The process could take some time due to the age of the congealed lubricant.

We always used a drop of oil from a can of Shell Handy Oil (now called Shell Household Oil - I think) applied from the end of a small screwdriver. (Squeezing a drop of oil onto a small screwdriver blade and then applying it to the parts requiring lubrication ensures that you do not over-lubricate as this results in oil spraying or dribbling onto drive surfaces).

A long-handled screwdriver will allow you reach "difficult positions".

Isopropyl alcohol is also safe to use on rubber drive (intermediate) wheels and drive belts that require cleaning, although any such rubber parts would (probably) be un-serviceable after 50 years, due to hardening (perishing) of the rubber.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (26-02-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

That's a real blast from the past. I still have one of those turntables in my office. Hasn't seen a record in many years, though. It was purchase new by my mother back in the 1970s
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Mine was also purchased new. It was the best turntable I could afford at the time ...

Tristen, thanks for the isopropyl alcohol tip. I have some in the shed. I think the main "culprit" is a sleeve type pivot so it is just going to have to seep into it.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

The Dual turntables were not the easiest to work on and many technicians I knew tended to avoid them if possible. (I was never a fan of Dual).

Record players and changers require very little lubrication and many surfaces are best left "dry", particularly clutches. Oil and other lubricants combine with dust and eventually thicken. All lubricants coagulate over time.

I have had to completely strip down some mechanisms in order to remove various lubricants applied by over-zealous owners or technicians who didn't know better.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (28-02-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Isopropyl alcohol is also safe to use on rubber drive (intermediate) wheels and drive belts that require cleaning, although any such rubber parts would (probably) be un-serviceable after 50 years, due to hardening (perishing) of the rubber.
    I have used IsoProp (only 90% or higher) many times to clean rubber like pinch rollers on cassette tape machines and VCRs but if I had used it on the reel to reel machines in the studio I was working years ago, I would have got immediately sacked.
    Long tem this will cause the rubber to harden out.
    On old, already hardened rubber Isoprop will make things worse.

I would advise if it is a 50 year old treasure not to use Isoprop on the rubber.

If you manage to loosen the mechnical arms and it still won't shut down then the rubber roller will need rejuvinating if you can't find a replacement.
    There are pinch roller cleaners/rejuvinaters on Ebay but they come from the USA :

I can not say if that one in the link works though because I can not find the one I that use any more, the liquid is pink in colour.
    Totally gone hard and shiny rollers can't be saved though, but if it is playing the records resonably well then there shouldn't be a problem.

Back in the 1970's belt drive was more popular, none of us kids would want to be 'caught' using a roller type Dual from their dad
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Fortunately when I last used it, it did close down properly meaning that the idler wheel was taken off both the motor drive and the platter rim so it is still in good condition.

At the moment everything is working apart from the "start - stop" lever moving the last 3mm or so which will turn off the motor and also remove the idler as stated above.

All in all quite pleased.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (28-02-17)