Thread: 12v Smoke - 2 vs 4wire setup on paradox Evo192

Thanks

Default 12v Smoke - 2 vs 4wire setup on paradox Evo192

Hey guys
    Just want to know pls opinions on wiring smokies.
    I have only ever wired 12v smokies with a pair (red&black) for power and a pair (blue&white) for the zone.
    ie 4 wire. I understand you may have to run your power via a relay in order to reset the smokies if required.

Recently I have been told you can wire them in (2wire) series onto PGM 1 with a single resistor in the circuit?
    Is this correct ??... or are they talking about a different type of smokie?

Interested in hearing how you guys wire 12v smokies.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I use non latching smokies and zone wired to it's own input.

Haven't used a Evo panel.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Most 2 wire smokes require a powered loop not all panels have them if there is no power on the loop and its just an open close you would then have to use 4 wire smokes not sure how that works with evo panel as I haven't worked with any but most 2 wire smoke loops you run the powered loop to the first smoke you have an in and an out on the smoke or the base itself so that if you take one of the detectors out you lose the whole circuit and you just jump basically from smoke to smoke same as a 4 wire circuit but no separate power loop and depending on what the panel calls for there would be a resistor at the end across the positive and negative just like any other alarm circuit to monitor the loop if you have an install manual and you can upload it if I can id gladly help you with it.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

If you don't have a Paradox Evo192 installation manual, one can be downloaded from the manualslib website.

Premium Member
    Thanks

After reviewing the manual PGM1 would be used for a 2 wire smoke detector input using the Aux+ for the other side of the loop and the loop must be terminated with a 1k resistor but as also noted in the manual there may be some additional requirements in programming to assign it as such as also noted in the manual I'm not sure how laws are by you but 2 wire smoke detectors are considered a non UL installation at least as stated in the manual.