Thread: Ness D8X -- lightning strike, globes lit, diagnosis?

Thanks

Default Ness D8X -- lightning strike, globes lit, diagnosis?

Murphy's Law I suppose. On day one of my recent overseas trip, there was a bad storm, power cut and, apparently, a lightning strike which set off my home alarm. A couple of days later, the monitoring company reported that the alarm battery was low.

Back home now. I opened the case to take out the battery and the two current-limiting globes were glowing fairly brightly. Still glowing after removing the battery. I put the battery on an external charger and it seems to be fine. The various PIRs were apparently still working, but I suspect something on the main circuit board has been fried. Nothing was being logged to the RS-232 port at any rate (or maybe it's been fried).

Is there a standard diagnostic procedure? I suppose schematics for the board would be too much to hope for? About how much do these boards cost anyway -- I'm guessing something less than my insurance excess? But then will they sell one to me? Questions, questions.

Thanks for any advice.

Have fun,

Rob.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

One of the zones was drawing too much current. Disconnected its power feed, put in the fully charged battery and the current limiting globes were no longer glowing. That's progress. However, still no RS-232 activity, and the strobe light is flashing all the time. I'll go through all the programming, but expect I'll be needing a new board from Ness.

Have fun,

Rob.