Thread: detecting surveillance

Thanks

Default detecting surveillance

Toss-up to post here or over in Security and Privacy*.
    A friend has issues with an ex. The ex is very tech savvy, has a history of harrassing exes and abusing the law and appears to plan carefully. They used to live together when of course there was free access to the home.
    There is reason to suspect that information (person to person voice conversation at least) is leaking out, and the home is suspected.
    A nuffy look by me didn't reveal anything but we don't know what to expect or how to look for it. Battery backed mobile? Bluetooth? Something else? The friend's apple phone seems to be clean, but could be wrong on that.
    The police said "we use our own people for this and don't have anyone to recommend". Would anyone care to recommend an inspection service that can check for anything strange, or failing that, what can we do.

* I posted here because I think this will closely align with building security and my gut feeling is this is the place to ask. Happy if the post is moved.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bloke For This Useful Post:

xapi (09-03-17)

Look Here ->

Thanks

Last edited by Dishtrackted; 09-03-17 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Toss-up to post here or over in Security and Privacy*.
    A friend has issues with an ex. The ex is very tech savvy, has a history of harrassing exes and abusing the law and appears to plan carefully. They used to live together when of course there was free access to the home.
    There is reason to suspect that information (person to person voice conversation at least) is leaking out, and the home is suspected.
    A nuffy look by me didn't reveal anything but we don't know what to expect or how to look for it. Battery backed mobile? Bluetooth? Something else? The friend's apple phone seems to be clean, but could be wrong on that.
    The police said "we use our own people for this and don't have anyone to recommend". Would anyone care to recommend an inspection service that can check for anything strange, or failing that, what can we do.

* I posted here because I think this will closely align with building security and my gut feeling is this is the place to ask. Happy if the post is moved.
    Need more info, Any cctv onsite ? Alot of the new NVR's have Mics built into the cameras, such as Samsung Fish Eyes. There a numerous cheap ebay voice recorders that record to SD card that are very easily hidden and are cheap as chips. does said person still have access to the property ? if so that eliminates most the expensive top end wireless stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

Unless 'money was no object', you'd be stupid to put high-end gear into a 'sacrificial' environment anyway, by that I mean where the gear would be difficult (or impossible) to retrieve and/or is likely to be discovered and destroyed.

It stands to reason that any long-term remote surveillance would need to be both powered and streaming, which makes detection a little easier. As above, it depends on whether this person has ongoing access to the property? If so, then I'd be setting up a little surveillance of my own, catch them inside your house and have them charged with trespass and B&E at the very least, also gives you grounds for a restraining order.

Of course if it's only audio it could be passive surveillance too, such as a parabolic or LASER mic aimed at a window from a car parked nearby at night?

Andrew