Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elon Musk, South Aus Power and the $33Million Bet.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Elon Musk, South Aus Power and the $33Million Bet.

Nothing more than fancy marketing, but it will be interesting to see what happens.
    There would have to be some serious clauses in the contract.

Pretty easy to have a Battery system working in 100 days, whether it is connected to the grid on not, that is a different question.
    That is where most Wind Turbine projects get delayed, dealing with local energy companies and having the HV feeders ready on time.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-03-17 at 09:15 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (13-03-17),Tiny (11-03-17)

3. Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Of course a great marketing and the world needs more Elon Musks !

Would 100MW/h be enough?

IMO the probelm is not solved by using one location for the back up when distribution goes down with the next storm.
    It would make more sense and also more efficient to place the powerpacks strategically in already existing distribution nodes.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Would 100MW/h be enough?
    Musk's system would have powered South Australia for less than 4 minutes based on the last Saturdays SA power use.

I am not sure where the excitement is.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

There are other players too and offering larger solutions, a bit more info in this analysis:
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 13-03-17 at 06:51 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

looks like it's almost finished.
    did a drive by to have a look it's not far from me.
    you cant get anywhere near it so a shitty photo will have to do.
    the HV yard looks cool.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eeprommemory For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (08-11-17),shred (09-11-17),Tiny (08-11-17),tristen (08-11-17),Uncle Fester (08-11-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

One big Duracell in a paddock
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

8 o'clock at Night, the Grid goes down, how many houses will this Tesla storage system keep lit for One Hour?

If you want to restrict each 'House' to a single 40 Watt Fluorescent tube, then do so.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    8 o'clock at Night, the Grid goes down, how many houses will this Tesla storage system keep lit for One Hour?

If you want to restrict each 'House' to a single 40 Watt Fluorescent tube, then do so.
    Never meant to keep all the lights on. A subsidiary source to top up or supply whilst gas and/or diesel generators kick in which can take 2 - 8 minutes
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (10-11-17),tristen (10-11-17)

Banned
    Thanks

Don't be so negative. At least they are trying to make renewables more reliable

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gordonwh40 For This Useful Post:

tristen (10-11-17)

Thanks

the idea of it only working for 4 minuets is a load of BS.
    around the battery setup looks like 150MW of wind turbines.
    the setup looks like wind turbines charges the battery's and then the grid uses it.
    the problem with wind turbines is the output is not stable so the battery's are used as a big capacitor to store the energy and release it for a stable output.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eeprommemory For This Useful Post:

allover (10-11-17),lsemmens (10-11-17),Softek2 (10-11-17),tristen (10-11-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eeprommemory View Post
    the idea of it only working for 4 minuets is a load of BS.
    around the battery setup looks like 150MW of wind turbines.
    the setup looks like wind turbines charges the battery's and then the grid uses it.
    the problem with wind turbines is the output is not stable so the battery's are used as a big capacitor to store the energy and release it for a stable output.
    Aaah, but what happens when the wind stops blowing and the sun stops shinning through out all of Australia and there is no electricity produced other than good old coal
    Interesting though was the exceptionally hot day last summer when some of the NSW coal generators broke down due to the cooling towers could not work efficiently enough, NSW asked VIC to black out Bendigo so they had enough power, which was refused and they had to restrict supply to a smelter. The only thing that carried them thru was solar both commercial and domestic. Very little about this reported in the press

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eeprommemory View Post
    Which is the whole problem.

A reliable electricity network needs baseload power, which is currently supplied Australia wide by coal.

Wind turbines and solar panels do not provide stable base load power as they are an intermittent power source.

A battery network to provide baseload power would require batteries so huge they A. Basically cant be created and B. If they did, we couldn't afford them.

And as to the 4 minutes, you can bullshit all you like, but thats the facts reported on the battery capacity and output as to what it will power. You had better pray for a cyclone and a year of summer to keep it going

Opps, I better correct that. Wind Turbines do NOT work if it is too windy and Solar Panels don't work to capacity if its too sunny.

We need to face the facts of this......the only reliable baseload power options are Coal or Nuclear. Otherwise, get used to the (already forecasted) blackouts.

Thanks

bit more info the wind farm is not 150 MW its 315MW.
    many times i have seen the jamestown wind farm stopped because of no wind BUT the hornsdale wind farm is placed in a interesting location where the wind seems to never stop.
    towers with anemometers are all over the place but logging data claims it does not stop.
    something to do with a long wide valley then a line of hills.

Thanks

just to give you an idea of what is here.
    hallett / jamestown wind farm 5 parts.
    hallett gas turbines 12 of them 200MW only starts up when the price of power is super high and i mean HIGH $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    hornsdale 3 parts plus battery.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I must admit I didnt take into account that there are NUMEROUS sources of power and back up systems ready to kick in when required, just like last time when that ferocious storm took down the Grid.........
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

I don't know what all this fuss about the Lithium Battery is
    We have a huge Desalination plant in Victoria, everyone seems to have forgotten the waste of money thats been

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I don't know what all this fuss about the Lithium Battery is
    We have a huge Desalination plant in Victoria, everyone seems to have forgotten the waste of money thats been
    Wasting money on green subsidised projects is a National Sport in this country.

I will get excited when they actually produce something that is capable of powering houses for a period of time that is not extremely minute.
    In the meantime of course, the cost of pointless projects and their subsidies will be added to your power bill.

I intend to spend a fair bit on my own system in my next house, as the power grid will become increasingly less reliable with the ridiculous amount of immigrants we are letting in each year adding to the rapidly gaining population on a power network that is having all its baseload plants taken off line because coal isnt cool and funky.

We have the third biggest deposits of Uranium in the world, but wont use it for emission free power for our people. France on the other hand derives almost 75% of its power from Nuclear and sells excess to neighbouring European countries. We have so much that we could give the entire population free power for eternity.

And what else do we have ? Lots and lots of coal. We wont use it ourselves as its out of favour, but will sell it to any other country to burn. Talk about cut off your nose to spite your face.
    Many many countries are building coal generators because there is now "clean coal" technology, but in Australia all 4 big banks have put a ban on lending money to private investment for anything to do with coal because apparently every company, corporation and sporting code is our new nanny telling us what we can and cant do. Up until recently it was Hollywood and Celebrities telling us what we had to do, but as it has come out they are all molesting each other, we have to listen to business and sporting entities instead.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Learjet (23-12-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Wasting money on green subsidised projects is a National Sport in this country.

Agreed, you have 6kw of panels, your fit would be some where in the vicinity of $0.40 per kw/h, you would not have paid an electrical bill for some 4 years?, there fore you are the beneficiary of subsides?

I will get excited when they actually produce something that is capable of powering houses for a period of time that is not extremely minute.
    In the meantime of course, the cost of pointless projects and their subsidies will be added to your power bill.

Please see below

I intend to spend a fair bit on my own system in my next house, as the power grid will become increasingly less reliable with the ridiculous amount of immigrants we are letting in each year adding to the rapidly gaining population on a power network that is having all its baseload plants taken off line because coal isnt cool and funky.

More unreliable in the short term agreed, long term, don't know'
    Immigrants?, think all data points to falling usage per person as electrical appliances become more efficient
    Investors/owners are more pragmatic, costs and profitability over ride all

We have the third biggest deposits of Uranium in the world, but wont use it for emission free power for our people. France on the other hand derives almost 75% of its power from Nuclear and sells excess to neighboring European countries. We have so much that we could give the entire population free power for eternity.

France is to close 17# nuclear power stations in the future due to them requiring costly over hauls and political decisions (green) Germany has/is closing all of their nuclear power stations. Britains Hinkley Point, estimated cost 26 Billion (not sure but think that is Sterling) already 2 Billion over budget, 15 months set back. An aside, Teresa Mays hubby has been reported as getting 9 Million in fees

And what else do we have ? Lots and lots of coal. We wont use it ourselves as its out of favour, but will sell it to any other country to burn. Talk about cut off your nose to spite your face.
    Many many countries are building coal generators because there is now "clean coal" technology, but in Australia all 4 big banks have put a ban on lending money to private investment for anything to do with coal because apparently every company, corporation and sporting code is our new nanny telling us what we can and cant do. Up until recently it was Hollywood and Celebrities telling us what we had to do, but as it has come out they are all molesting each other, we have to listen to business and sporting entities instead.
    Granted we have plenty of coal and there are and will be plenty of coal fired power stations through out the world that will require our coal for the fore see able future, keep miners employed, assist our economy and our standard of living
    Googled Clean Coal Power Stations, could not find one, although i found a link to this. As you say it may occur but the signs don't look promising short term

As far as the banks are concerned and you only have to read yesterdays paper as to how a judge described them. Would be sure they would invest if they thought it viable, may be the reason they wont invest is that they have done their sums and think it is a dead duck
    Molestation off topic
    Last edited by allover; 12-11-17 at 12:14 PM.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Built by Musk’s Tesla company, the lithium-ion battery has 100 megawatts of capacity and is reportedly three times larger than the next biggest battery. Paired with the Hornsdale wind farm 120 miles north of Adelaide, Australia

"Last week the battery bounded into action just 140 milliseconds after a power plant in the neighboring state of Victoria suffered a failure that would ordinarily have led to a lengthy power cut, the International Business Times reported. The battery fed its stored energy into the national power grid, preventing an inconvenient blackout from affecting numerous homes in nearby towns and cities."

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

We have one of those in South OZ, too, it hasn't fired a spit in anger yet, either. However........
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...