Thread: TV Broadcasting Rights vs Social Media

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default TV Broadcasting Rights vs Social Media

The gap is getting a lot closer.

I see this year they want F1 to have a big Social Media presence, which could fly in the face of the restricted and controlled TV Broadcast Rights.
    I have also seen this happening with a lot of Local Australian events.
    I'm sure the 2 methods can co-exist (as they already blank out IPTV on some live sports broadcasts)
    But then there is the "Pirate IPTV" broadcasters, just normal everyday people with a Smartphone and a Streaming platform (Facebook, YouTube, Periscope, etc)

Will be interesting years ahead. And generally as we have seen in many other areas, technology leapfrogs the laws.

I was able to watch the Southern 80 Ski Race live this year from several sources, even though there was no advertised live broadcast.
    There was however a local professional broadcast to a big screen at the finish line (a paid access area).
    Someone involved patched that feed into a YouTube channel under a fake name and links were sent out across social media.
    On top of that, there was a number of ordinary people videoing the race on their phones and live streaming with Facebook.
    Good pics too!

Im sure this has been done at VFL, AFL, NRL, Tennis, etc....
    It may not reach a huge audience, but it opens up a pandora's box of possibilites
    Especially with 4G speeds and ample data limits .
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-03-17 at 12:03 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (11-03-17),jonc (14-03-17),pheggie (11-03-17)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Are you talking about individual camera streams from people in the crowd, or people "re-broadcasting" paid (professional) content?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    Are you talking about individual camera streams from people in the crowd, or people "re-broadcasting" paid (professional) content?
    Well there is that too.
    I know heaps of people that watch PPV that way

I guess i'm talking about both and all options Onefella
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-03-17 at 07:15 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

I've often thought there might be a market for licensed broadcasters of an event to pay civilian camera operators for reasonable footage, on a per-view system like Youtube. I don't think smartphone cameras would be good enough, but there might a cheap alternative.

Premium Member
    Thanks

The footage i watched of the Southern 80, was just someones phone and it was as good as any channel on TV for detail and audio.
    If you walked in the room, you wouldn't know it wasn't TV or a YT clip, apart from the amateur camera work and swear words and laughter

But what you say makes sense, it could work if it went to their central server to get mixed and edited with the rest of the broadcast cameras.
    Something like a race track that has multiple cameras around the track, then you have a roving guy who could be anywhere, in the pits or closer to a crash scene.
    All live streaming.

But with what i see happening now, there would already be several people making their own private live broadcasts anyway
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-03-17 at 08:47 PM.