Thread: New CBAND install

Thanks

Default New CBAND install

Hi All,

I have the itch again to install a new CBAND motorized setup in my new place. My 80cm Ku setup although fun isn't cutting it for me. I wasn't going to bother this time around but I kinda of miss it since moving 3.5 years ago. Last time I did get a council permit in my old location (see old posts). This time I am trying to see if it can be positioned so that I wont require one (hopefully).This is simply to scan/explore so I don't have a particular satellite in mind, just as many as I can pull in with a 2.4M dish. I know what is out there based on my previous experience.

Some details:
    Double story, tiled & metal, assume timber frame, 2nd story has that rendered look but don't know the material. Cabling could pass though roof to spare bedroom nearby where I would setup the positioner and STB.

Limited in space I wanted to know if the pole could be mounted on the 2nd story wall so it's at the back of the property (facing north of course) away from the main living areas. Can't be more than 2.4M (due to council requirements). I want it as out of site that is possible for a 2.4M dish. I have a very small "L" shaped backyard. The roof is the only option.

Could anyone recommend someone in the Melbourne/Ashwood area that could come over to see if its possible?
    Willing to spend up to $1000 for supply and install (perhaps a bit over if it's a bit too tricky).
    Last edited by backer; 13-03-17 at 09:22 AM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I can give you an indication without looking at it.

If the house is relatively new, the upper level rendered walls are likely to be blueboard which is then rendered.

The board is only about 8mm thick so unless you have substantial timber backing to bolt onto, you won't be able to secure any poles to it.

You will likely have two mounting options.

1. On the roof itself, with adequate mounting support (this will provide the clearest signal path).

2. Ground mount. This may restrict the dishes 'view' if buildings, trees, etc are in the signal path.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

backer (13-03-17)

Thanks

Thanks MTV, I think you are right. A ground mount won't work it would need to clear the building and trees etc
    I wish you were in Melbourne doing installations!!

Is it difficult to mount on the metal roof then extend past the 2nd story? (to be clear of the building/tree's) ?
    Or how about the pole on the brick wall, how long can it extend out (so it can pass the roof tiles) ?
    Last edited by backer; 13-03-17 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks

If mounting on the roof or against the wall try and incorporate some form of support cushioning such as large rubber inserts, so that it can reduce the distribution of noise when moving the dish, as you will find if nothing is done the noise is amplified through the roof and house and also outside, this will annoy you and the possibly your neighbours.

• The Following User Says Thank You to cmoore For This Useful Post:

backer (13-03-17)

Thanks

If the main objective is for hobby, try and install the dish on the ground or at least somewhere where you have easy access to adjust LNB. Actuator.. especially for hobby you'd want to try different LNB or feed horns there’s always the need to adjust and try different things.

You’d want an obstacle free clear window for H to H tracking. There’re Over 20 C-band satellites on the arc which have viewable channels.

• The Following User Says Thank You to B52 For This Useful Post:

backer (13-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    If the main objective is for hobby, try and install the dish on the ground or at least somewhere where you have easy access to adjust LNB. Actuator.. especially for hobby you'd want to try different LNB or feed horns there’s always the need to adjust and try different things.

You’d want an obstacle free clear window for H to H tracking. There’re Over 20 C-band satellites on the arc which have viewable channels.
    I hear you, but I don't have the space. My existing Ku single LNB H-H motor I am always going up the ladder to make minor changes to the skew etc
    I used to be able to receive at least 14 of those 20!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Pole mounting on a wall should have brackets mounted as close to the wall as possible.

Not sure what you mean by mounting on a metal roof and extending past the 2nd storey.

If you mean mount the pole on a lower roof section and make it long enough to reach above the 2nd storey.... no, as the pole would need to be very long (and heavy) and would still need support from the blueboard-rendered wall which is not adequate.

It would need to be mounted on the 2nd storey roof, usually bolted into a roof truss with additional bracing.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

backer (13-03-17)