Thread: Ness R16 radio interference from intercom

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Ness R16 radio interference from intercom

Hello,

I am hoping someone might have come across this one before or perhaps have some further ideas I could try.

Original installation was a Ness R8 with several radio PIR's. Worked perfectly for several years (except for some PIR flat batteries which forum members kindly helped to solve - thank you).

Installed a Futuro video intercom bit over a year ago - in close proximity. It is a 12v wired system (and coax). By necessity, the Futuro wires all run in the same conduit as the power wires for the ness R8 for the last 1.4m in the wall. No problem - all worked just fine.

Fast forward to the recent set of big storms we had in Sydney (several weeks ago). We had several near strikes (I can attest from brown undies!) - which took out most things on the front circuit closest to the main board - a TV, modem, and the Futuro was damaged but semi operational (audio only). (as an aside - now have a surge protector on the main board).

Accordingly, I replaced the Futuro - simple unplug and plug new unit in.

Subsequently I started getting random PIR signal loss indications from the Ness R8.......and the stupid 8 beeps that go with it ..... sometimes at 2am.

Action - checked the Futuro wiring. I reground the coax for the video at both ends - the power to the camera and the audio run in 4 wire shielded. Reground this at the intercom end (including the drain wire). Still random indications signal loss from the PIR's - maybe 3 to 4 events a day. Changed batteries in all PIR's (checked voltage old and new and all was still perfect - but put new in anyway).

Video intercom works fine. Crystal clear!

Contacted Ness and explained the situation - they suggested that the R8 might be having a few problems. So bought an R16 and plugged it in with a couple of Lux PIR's as well. Looking good!

Had a bit of trouble getting the PIR's to register - had a moment of clarity and disconnected the intercom. PIR's registered and did signal tests for all - all in the 8 and 9 range. I have the external antenna for the R16 connected.

Apply power to the video intercom - signals drop to 4/5. When apply the video "on" function - signal lost from the PIR's. Kind of understand what is happening now - as the video is movement activated and recorded in the system - so even if activated at 2am by a cat or something - video will be "on" and record (but monitor stays black). Obviously narrowed down to RF interference from the intercom. However - pre-storm there were no problems with the old intercom unit or the Ness R8.

One of the few things I have not tried is changing the 12v power pack to the intercom - could they create the RF from storm damage?

Otherwise I am running out of ideas that do not involve moving one of the systems - and a bit plastering and painting........really want to stay away from that if I can!

Any further ideas I could try?

Cheers

2. Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Is it possible the 'strike' may have affected any connectors in the various lines?
    I am trying to suggest that while they may be still functioning, they may have lost a bit of conductivity which becomes apparent at night when the Mains Voltages can increase by a few Volts to make the system do those 'beeps' at 2am?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Could be.

The PIR signal loss also occurs at random times during the day.

I imagine an option is to literally pull all the wiring and re run it all?

Thanks

When you de powered the intercom did you unplug the power supply from the 240, or did you just disconnect the intercom from the power supply?
    If you unplugged the supply try leaving the supply on & just disconnect the intercom & see what happens

Thanks

When de-powering the intercom, I simply pulled the power input to the rear of the intercom unit. The power pack and cable remained in situ and powered

When I checked the PIR strengths - it was in this configuration which gave the 8/9's and when I simply plugged the back of the intercom to the power supply cable it dropped to 4/5's radio strength of the PIR's.

When I connect the cables running to the camera (video/audio/camera power) - the PIR's won't register a strength at all. The video cable out to the camera I ran in RG6 and the others are 4 core shielded.

Thinking the new unit (although same make and model as previous) has excessive RF emittance or the cables are kaktus?

Only options I can come up with under current hypothesis:
    1. Re-run cables for intercom - check status.
    2. Re-run cables for Ness?
    3. Move intercom to another part of house

Thanks

Thought should provide update:

Did a re-run of wires using new cables. Moved the SD4 to the rear of the house away from the Ness R16 and put the SD4B next to the Ness R16 using the old holes for mounting.

Ran RG6 (what I had handy) and 4 core shielded from the camera through to the rear SD4 and then just the 4 core shielded through to the SD4B next to the Ness R16.

Walked tested the PIR's for signal strength - all good. Futuro works fine. Giddy up!

What was the problem - absolutely no idea! But it now works.......
    Last edited by Grapple; 20-03-17 at 04:06 PM.