Thread: Dish size for Intelsat 19?

Thanks

Default Dish size for Intelsat 19?

G'day guys,

I've recently blown the dust off my old dm500 after 5 years and thought I'd have a crack at getting it running again. I've got a 65cm dish but I'm struggling to pickup Intelsat 19 ku, should that size be OK from Adelaide?

I can lock on to D3 no problems, move a little to the right and a little down, my sat finder shows there is signal there but no where near the strength of D3, the DM never locks on to it.

I've flashed the DM500 with the latest open-pli (OpenPLi-beta-dm500-old-framebuffer-20130505-305) and updated satellites.xml.

Cheers.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

65cm is generally OK for IS19.

Some transponders are stronger than others, so it depends which transponders/channels you are trying to receive.

What frequencies are you having problems locking onto?

Signal quality is more important then signal strength, as SQ determines the reliability of reception.

Accurate adjustment of the LNB is critical.

I take it you understand that LNB position is different on Optus sats compared to other sats?

Thanks

Dishpointer.com shows the LNB skew at 33.4 degrees.

Primarily I'd like to lock on 12557 with a dvb-s2 pci card to tie in to my TvHeadEnd, and i'll add all the other fta streams for a bit of variety.

With the satellite finder showing max, i've tried about 10 different random freqs from the list trying to get anything out of it.

Will the 500 actually lock on to a dvb-s2 stream (i know it won't decode) or is that not even an option.

I'll play with the LNB a bit more tomorrow night perhaps i've had the skew off.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Forget what Lyngsat says about skew... you HAVE to adjust skew whilst looking at a meter/decoder screen that displays signal quality 'at the dish' whilst making fine adjustments.

The standard DM500 is only DVB-S. The later DM500HD will do DVB-S2 so you're not going to get any MPEG4 transponders/channels with the standard DM500... only MPEG2 DVB-S

And.. don't even think about Channel 9 transponders, as they are multistream, require a large dish and a multistream 16APSK-capable deocder. Those transmissions are not intended to be received direct to home.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

I use a 1.2M Offset For Brisbane

Thanks

65" is ok for IS19 Ku, If you want to watch Wizzie TV at least a 90" or 1.2 is needed.

Thanks

Cheers guys! I'm waiting for a dvb-s2 box to play with and I'll see how I go.

Thanks

Does IS19 still require fine adjustments for the following stations?

* EuroNews English
    * RT English
    * France 24 English

Haven't looked at these stations in a while but in the past I was able to get Arirang perfectly on my toroidal 90cm dish here in Sydney.

Haven't set these up yet as a thunderstorm took out some of the LNB and switches on the dish earlier this year. So thought it was about time I got around to dragging a TV and set top box up on the roof to test, fix and align the LNBs correctly.