Thread: Tecom V8 +smart readers

Thanks

Default Tecom V8 +smart readers

Hi all,

Quick intro first, Electrician and security installer for 22 years, mainly installing Ademco/Honeywell systems as far back as the 3115-5115 era, Challenger V8 was pretty new too, yes done my training for it (if you call 3 days for $1200 training).

My main Question:
    Is the Challenger V8 (FW76) capable of running smart readers?

I have the challenger, 1x LCD RAS, 1x smart reader (online mode), and about 50x FOBs (dog tags that came with it) connected as a test system trying to make sense out of the tags.

the reader is polled and i can read the FC and user for each tag (in un-secured), but the main panel and the reader give different user numbers, and the FC's are all over the place.

For example:
    tag# 323786 has FC:59350 U:1 according to the panel, but FC:59350 U:5543 according to the reader
    tag# 323787 has FC:16777 U:1 according to the panel, but FC:16777 U:5544 according to the reader
    tag# 323789 has FC:19401 U:1 according to the panel, but FC:19401 U:5787

tag# 323788 has FC:10710 U:1 according to the panel, but FC:10710 U:5796 according to the reader, but makes the reader annouce it's address, this is 1 of 2 tags that read in secured mode.

as far as i'm aware, we've never had a card programmer, we normally order cards and tags pre-programmed.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    and yes, the data wires are correct, reader won't poll otherwise

Look Here ->
    Thanks

343 views with no replies, must mean no-one has come across this before

after searching the web, i've come up with a few reasons:
    V8 software before V128 can only make sense of 30bits, at 128 and after, IUM software is built into the firmware enabling up to 48bits.
    IUM hardware can able to enable raw data up to 48bits if correct reader is used, but challenger is still limited in the bit limit.
    even using a SDC will still only enable 27bits to be read, the rest of the data is ignored (tested)

as per previous, my H2tags (dogtags) were all over the place, so i connected a IUM to the panel and read the raw data
    the only thing that stayed the same with my tags was the first piece of data (48.****)
    if what limited information i found on 48bit data is correct, it follows the same pattern as 27bit with a few extras thrown in.. (bits, site code, security code, card id, card level and credit data)
    since the challenger is really only interested in the first 37bits, card level and credit data is ignored and handled by the challenger it's self.

so from what i've found, the tags were never programmed correctly in the first place, not even the site id is uniform across all cards

Thanks

Hi Dude,
    Sounds like the tags you have are not programmed.

Is the panel in use on site or just something you have picked up?
    What firmware version?

Did you add expanded memory to the Challenger?
    What size was the memory 4mb or 8mb Installer menu 11
    If so that will show you a string of data.

Is there a Site code and offset programmed Installer menu 20. That would tell you what was there.
    Last edited by Poody; 18-04-17 at 11:51 AM.
    Aspire to Inspire Before you Expire!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Poody For This Useful Post:

Dfektiv (18-04-17)

Thanks

Hi Poody,
    actually got it all to work,
    bench testing on 2 different panels, both seemed to not want to default fully, sixth time lucky.
    memory was only a 1meg in the first one, so FC and ID, IUM in the second so that was raw data.

We had the reader and tags from a long time along, but the original guy couldn't get it to work correctly, and i ended up finding our programmer yesterday,
    when i checked the tags, i had lots of blanks, a couple programmed, and 2x config cards.

I did have another issue where the panel would read the tags but wouldn't do anything with them, correct tag id, user programming and all.
    and the panel wouldn't hand the the info over to titan for the history log.
    that's when i defaulted everything and started again.

i spent 3days of my easter break trying to get my head around this, and i finally won..
    must be time to take my holidays now.

Thanks

Aahhhh Tenacity. It's a good thing but sometimes it can cost you a lot time.
    Well done.
    Aspire to Inspire Before you Expire!!