Thread: Suggestions for Modem NBN Ready

Thanks

Default Suggestions for Modem NBN Ready

Just wanted to throw this one out there , currently running Netgear DGND3700 which has served me well , my house is on three levels Brick and have pretty good coverage with wireless but drops out in the front bedroom on third level , should i look at something like a Night Hawk ????? Just a router and use my current modem or start from scratch ?????

Cheers

JH

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Ditch the NetGear ASAP That is the one device I never got to work well.

In my opinion, Is it possible to have at least one network cable run somewhere?? I never recommend using wireless extenders or ethernet over power - they can work but always seem to end up with problems. As for the Access Point, I'm a fan of Ubiquiti products at the moment. Flawless performance, depending on your house design put maybe one towards the rear third and and one in the front third, or maybe one each level. The Ubiquiti AP does handoff great (so you can walk anywhere and not notice your device reconnect.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Gitch For This Useful Post:

johnhoward (16-04-17)

Thanks

Thanks for the tip Gitch , just reading on the website now and system sounds very promising.
    Ive used netgear for some years now without too many problems other then not reaching in all areas of the home , i have also tried Billion without much success , as far as cabling goes its a bit of a stretch with the design of the house but have managed to hard wire my main smart tv and one of the cameras at the front of the house.
    Will read up a bit more regarding your suggestion and let you know how i go , thanks once again.

Thanks

Default How about....?

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoward View Post
    my house is on three levels Brick
    An alternate view.
    I use an IOP for Netflix and it works flawlessly. House is on a concrete slab and the roof space is full of fibreglass bats. Its a Netgear something or other but it can connect 4 devices from the receiver so I could connect the Blueray player but have had a Roku connected with no problems as well as the TV.
    So I can state categorically that there is nothing at all wrong with Internet Over Power and if someone is having problems they might need to rethink their procedure setting it up.
    Second thing, you don't need a Ubiquity anything. Get your self a good modem-router such as the Nighthawke D7000 or Asus DSL-AC68U.
    I tossed up between the two and finally (close call) settled on an Asus DSL-AC68U modem-router only but then went and bought an RT-AC68U router only later (as I have two ports operating on the NBN NTD.
    Thing about these models is that they are known for their WiFi signal strength. The Asus RT-AC68U just pipped the Nighthawke R7000 in 2 test reviews I read and is the reason I settled on the Asus. How good is the WiFi? Well my son catches the school bus right out front and he reports that his phone can still "see" our WiFi down at the corner and I know that is 147.6M away from the router. Good enough for you? It is so good I could worry about hackers BUT we live semi rural so not much chance of that out here. Can't speak for the Nighthawke but a mate has one and has all sorts of IP cameras set up to view remotely and he says it an excellent modem-router (he's on ADSL still).
    I can tell you the Asus GUI is great and the things I can do and see happening on it are amazing. It has a guest function which I use a lot when the kid's friends do overnighters and i can manipulate that function so that they have just internet/just intranet or a mix and can be timed down to the minute.
    I can see who is using what amount of data and what app used what amount right that minute. weekly or monthly. So cool, and I can turn their internet off on a schedule too. Lots of stuff
    I reckon the Nighthawke R7000 (router) or D7000 (modem-router) would have that sort of stuff too so maybe look at either the Netgear or Asus.
    Hope that helps JH.
    philbo

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philbo For This Useful Post:

johnhoward (18-04-17),Keith (18-04-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    An alternate view.
    I use an IOP for Netflix and it works flawlessly. House is on a concrete slab and the roof space is full of fibreglass bats. Its a Netgear something or other but it can connect 4 devices from the receiver so I could connect the Blueray player but have had a Roku connected with no problems as well as the TV.
    So I can state categorically that there is nothing at all wrong with Internet Over Power and if someone is having problems they might need to rethink their procedure setting it up.
    Second thing, you don't need a Ubiquity anything. Get your self a good modem-router such as the Nighthawke D7000 or Asus DSL-AC68U.
    I tossed up between the two and finally (close call) settled on an Asus DSL-AC68U modem-router only but then went and bought an RT-AC68U router only later (as I have two ports operating on the NBN NTD.
    Thing about these models is that they are known for their WiFi signal strength. The Asus RT-AC68U just pipped the Nighthawke R7000 in 2 test reviews I read and is the reason I settled on the Asus. How good is the WiFi? Well my son catches the school bus right out front and he reports that his phone can still "see" our WiFi down at the corner and I know that is 147.6M away from the router. Good enough for you? It is so good I could worry about hackers BUT we live semi rural so not much chance of that out here. Can't speak for the Nighthawke but a mate has one and has all sorts of IP cameras set up to view remotely and he says it an excellent modem-router (he's on ADSL still).
    I can tell you the Asus GUI is great and the things I can do and see happening on it are amazing. It has a guest function which I use a lot when the kid's friends do overnighters and i can manipulate that function so that they have just internet/just intranet or a mix and can be timed down to the minute.
    I can see who is using what amount of data and what app used what amount right that minute. weekly or monthly. So cool, and I can turn their internet off on a schedule too. Lots of stuff
    I reckon the Nighthawke R7000 (router) or D7000 (modem-router) would have that sort of stuff too so maybe look at either the Netgear or Asus.
    Hope that helps JH.
    philbo
    Thanks philbo , I must admit I do like the Nighthawk a pretty impressive list of features.
    I have several cameras and a mix of laptops , tablets and iPads not to mention half a dozen iPhones connected , the main issue I have is because my home is on three levels I have a few dead spots at the front of the house, I've been running a netgear DGND3700 without too many issues other then the dead spots so time for an upgrade.
    Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Why would you not use the supplied modem, place separate router in bridging mode and transmit your wi fi and Ethernet from it, simple to set up and operate, only liability would be lack of phone line????
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gitch View Post
    I never recommend using wireless extenders or ethernet over power - they can work but always seem to end up with problems.
    Can you please explain why and what problems? I use both in my house, have done for 3 consecutive years and have never had one single issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Can you please explain why and what problems? I use both in my house, have done for 3 consecutive years and have never had one single issue.
    As I stated, it was my opinion. As for why I don't use or recommend them - too many variables with the installation. I've seen crappy performance from them because of the distance needed (some people expect 100Mb link when unfortunately the circuits go the long way around their house), another wouldn't work across a room because of the wiring design and being on different circuits and split phases, being an (ex)ham the noise and when you ask old mate that bought $50 stereo back in the 80's because he thought it sounded great and now because of the newly installed EOP device his stereo has a weird noise when listening to the radio but insists he must have ethernet connected to his new media player which is all connected to the same 8 point power board, and all because ethernet is better than wireless it can just get all too hard.

I'm not saying they are no good, I just don't use or recommend them and will suggest to the client the cost of having a cable installed is often comparable and will perform as intended.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Gitch For This Useful Post:

johnhoward (18-04-17)

Thanks

Default Yeah but....

Quote Originally Posted by Gitch View Post
    As I stated, it was my opinion....
    Off topic but tied in with internet availability around a home I think . . .
    The point of EoP is to avoid either unnecessary or awkward (read expensive) cable installations. Couple of important points here need to be made.
    "Old mate" won't have his '80s stereo melodic classics wafting around while using his state-of-the-art media player . . or would he? Some old mates are strange aren't they? Point I'm making is that's not a real good example of why you wont recommend IoP/EoP. I'd guess that as an (ex) ham you would be up on filtering too and I reckon a $50 stereo from 1980 might have precious little of that.
    EoP units DO NOT work properly if at all, connected to power boards. It says so in the instructions BUT I found this out the hard way believe me!
    EoP will work across phases according to instructions I read. Can't relate subjective tests as we are on single phase here but the instructions do say there is a speed impact. So how much speed would a media player need? Well, my IoP is an old 100mbps but there are now gbps models. My old job has never missed a beat on Netflix (and now also Foxtel Now) and I reckon any performance hit will be my RSP not the IoP (gotta luv acronyms) but hate NBN (sometimes).
    In fact just bought another used Netgear Powerline off eBay for $36 delivered. One can load up the house with em but each take a portion of the total speed the model can Tx/Rx, so I would go for the faster models if real speed is required, multiple units will be installed or cross-phasing is possible.
    I'm writing this for future hits and I wanted to get the pluses of using IoP out there. In my house they are virtually a must and it works a treat. Plug and play too.

I am not legally allowed to run micro-voltage cables around my own house because I can somehow magically connect and damage the hardwired telecommunications infrastructure beyond my router, through the air to an NBN Fixed Wireless tower and and yet I can legally connect my smart TV directly to the router. Amazing nanny state BS is what it is.