Thread: R20.50.07 Control Head Sync File

Thanks

Default R20.50.07 Control Head Sync File

Hello all, FNG here. I am working converting an XTL5000 from a W7 to O5 head. We have written a new codeplug with the O5 configuration. Radio boots up, we can read and write to it when connected directly to the TIB. However, the control head does not connect and goes to maintenance mode. We believe the only issue is that we need to do a control head sync, however we do not have the correct cvn. Our firmware is at R20.50.07, we are using latest CPS. We have check MOL for the cvn, but the only one we have found is for R20.50.09.

If we are unable to locate this file, I believe we will have to upgrade the firmware to the latest. IIUC, this means we will have to force write a hand written codeplug from depot before we can proceed with a firmware upgrade. Can someone confirm this?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

You no need to match FW in radio and CH. Many FW pairs even from different major versions (like 16..20) works fine. I've never come across with CH Sync issue, but crossed many many radios with many many heads. They had from 12 to 20 versions in different combinations, but all of them worked with no CH file used.

Your case could be HW issue - there are 2 different CHIB/TIB generations and parts used in one set must be from the same generation. Also, there are old CH that need old generation CHIB+TIB. Same for new CHs. Check batlabs for list of PNs.
    Last edited by Wi-Fi; 17-04-17 at 02:06 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wi-Fi For This Useful Post:

chopskxw (18-04-17),mrsscps (16-04-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wi-Fi View Post
    ~ I've never come across with CH Sync issue, but crossed many many radios with many many heads. They had from 12 to 20 versions in different combinations, but all of them worked with no CH file used. ~
    Then you are a very lucky person...

I can't remember a CH swap where I didn't have problems, even one in particular where I couldn't get the CH synced whatsoever! (Eventually fixed with a different CH)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 824 Posts

I agree with Bigfella. The XTL series is a real pain when it comes to control heads. They always should be synced, have the firmware that matches the brick and have the CPS configuration matching the hardware. If not you can almost expect a visit from the 01/90 fairy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lynt123 View Post
    I agree with Bigfella. The XTL series is a real pain when it comes to control heads. They always should be synced, have the firmware that matches the brick and have the CPS configuration matching the hardware. If not you can almost expect a visit from the 01/90 fairy.
    Sorry, but I disagree.

I have dealt with XTS2500, XTL25000 and O3, O5 and M5 heads. More than 20 radios mobile totally. They all were from different sources including parts Moto, eBay, Chinese guys, etc. They always run out of packaging! And I flashed them after that just be sure that they are all the latest. No CH Sync issues at all. As stated, versions were from 12 to 20. Some were V9, but just a few.

Some of them started after 2 power cycles or was initialized too slow at the first power on.
    Last edited by Wi-Fi; 18-04-17 at 05:06 AM.

Thanks

Thanks all. I don't have the hardware beside me right now. Will review the p/n's and compare those to the info from batlabs. That could be the issue.

If that does not turn out to be the issue, what would be the correct process for upgrading firmware on the brick and head?

Thanks

Wi Fi I am happy you have not experienced any issues. I guess the best answer for the member would be power everything up and if it works leave it alone. If not then do the control head sync and if needed the firmware updates for both the head and the brick.

Thanks

I referenced the PNs on batlabs. Looks like all should be okay there. The bootloader on the head is R08.51.00. How does one go about upgrade firmware on a CH? For that matter, how does one see what version is installed?

Thanks

I am not sure, but IIRC CH will go to Test mode and show even when in Maint Mode. Do proper keypress (orange + first softkey + power on?) and share your results.

Anyway, you can try to upgrade everything by any method (legal or dirty) or apply CH Sync file. You no need to have matching CH Sync files, just use the latest.

Thanks

We attempted to use the latest CH sync file, but it did not work.

orange + first softkey + power on is where you set the CH number. I'm assuming you were referring to flashzap? If so, it show R08.51.00.

Thanks

We attempted to use the latest CH sync file, but it did not work.

This is what I expected from my experience.

About Test Mode. Sorry, my fault. 5 fast key presses in sequence after self test pass (but not later than a few seconds). It must be Home button if I am not wrong.

Thanks

To synch and update the control head firmware. This should only be done with the head in maintenance mode. You can force the head into the mode if you have a remote mount by disconnecting the pwer to the brick while keeping the head powered.

Steps
    Move the .cvn to the upgrade folder in the CPS. run the CPS. go to tools synch control head. select the CH file in the browser. click open and let it update.

Thanks

Okay, so I attempted the sync again. CH was in maintenance mode, clicked off the sync, rebooted to flashzap, then my PC says it is an unknown usb device and fails to communicate any further.

Thanks

Thats the problem with the XTL series you have to have everything 100% right.

read this is might help.

Thanks

Attempted this method, same result. Once the CH reboots to FlashZap mode, the computer does not recognize the device. I am using a USB to GCAI cable.

Thanks

Currently debating on whether I should try to pick up another O5 head (newer apx style) cheap to try, or get a GCAI to serial cable to try.

Thanks

Check widows device manager to see if it changes when head enters flashzap mode. Look under modems I think.

Maybe you need to reload flashzap driver? It's a different driver than the normal radio.

I had one laptop (windows 10) where I had to get device in flashzap mode, hold it there, and delete the windows driver and tell it to delete the driver files totally, then reinstall cps and let the driver reload. Then it worked.

Just a thought.

Thanks

So for whatever reason, If I put the control head in flashzap prior to attempting the control head sync my PC sees it as a Motorola FlashZap Device. However, anytime that CPS attempts to reboot the radio to flashzap my PC has no idea what the device is. It remains that way until I reboot the computer. I'm not sure what is going on here, but something doesn't seem right. I have removed every piece of Motorola software I have ever had installed. I have tried removing the driver and reinstalling as standhippo has suggested. I'm not sure where to go from here.

I have also purchased an apx style O5 head, and it is doing the same thing. So I do not believe it is a CHIB issue at this point, and I would find it hard to believe the TIB could be the issue since I can read and write to the radio from the TIB.

Thanks

The computer needs to see 2 drivers. One for the cps and one for the control head. The CPS driver loads when the cps is started. The control head driver should be resident in the windows OS once installed.

The best way to be sure the driver is set up right is to reinstall it on a fresh startup. Then connect the unit and let it see the head. Once it sees the head you can exit the CPS and it should remember it from then on as long as you use the same USB port. When programming. Start the CPS then connect the usb cable then connect to the radio.

one point this is all done on a win7 32 bit OS Im not sure how a 64 bit OS will react.