Thread: NBN - fttn planned for 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Default NBN - fttn planned for 2018

I'm currently spending most of my time in a Unit in a large block in a holiday area, surrounded by other large blocks. The NBN is projected to be available in 2018 (which could mean any time with this mob), so I'm not holding my breath. What is interesting is that they are planning only for fibre to the node, not the premises. As I understand it this will mean:

1. The connection from the node to the Unit Blocks MDF via copper, with the existing lines from the mdf to each unit then being utilised. So, essentially, copper from the Node through the MDF to each unit in the block.

2. Internet connection will then be by way of VDSL modem rather than ethernet type connection.

3. Given the copper from the node to the MDF it would be pointless for the Body Corporate to install fibre optic cable from the MDF to each unit.

4. NBN Co does offer facility to request a quote for fibre to the premises, which in the case of a unit block would essentially mean its own node replacing the MDF. This would of course be pointless without fibre optic cables to each unit. With such a connection no VDSL modem is necessary.

That's the background out of the way. I am not an expert in this area so please do correct any inaccuracies, incorrect terminology etc. I would be interested in some advice from members who do have some knowledge in this area. The Body Corporate here has over 100 units, so it is a fairly substantial block, though not as large as some. My questions:

1. How significant is the performance difference between fttp and fttn?
    2. Should the Body Corporate be looking at the feasibility of fttp?
    3. If so, when would be the appropriate time to do this?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

I would be looking at fibre to the basement, this is usually done thru the Body Corp and is for all units, (every body benefits) you don't state exactly where you are but TPG have been doing this in the major capitals
    Last edited by allover; 16-04-17 at 12:39 PM.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

DB44 (16-04-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Yep, I would be speaking to the Body Corporate as there seems to be multiple options for large blocks including FTTB (Fibre To The Building)

All types of nbn™ network connections that utilise a physical line running to the premises are considered fixed line connections. An nbn™ Fibre to the building (FTTB) connection is generally used when we are connecting an apartment block or similar types of buildings to the nbn™ network. In this scenario we run a fibre optic line to the building communications room - we then use the existing technology in the building to connect to each apartment.

The fibre node in the building communications room is likely to take the form of a secure cabinet. Each cabinet will allow the nbn™ network signal to travel over the optic fibre, to the existing network technology present in the building.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

DB44 (16-04-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

VDSL can be pretty fast, depending on the amount of copper and distance to the fibre. In my case I have cat6 to a node at 300m, then cat6 to the fibre supernode at another 300m.

Speed varies a bit, but this was today

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (16-04-17)