Thread: Foxtel, new tv and HDMI Help!

Thanks

Default Foxtel, new tv and HDMI Help!

Hi,

I was hoping i could get some ideas.

I've had foxtel iq3 setup running for a nubmer of years without issue until recently when i bought a new tv.

In short, i have an IQ3 box running to a HDMI Splitter - from here i have 2 hdmi cables, 1 short running to the TV close by and then another running through a 15m hdmi cable to a second tv located elsewhere in the house.

This setup has been working perfectly until i changed the second tv which is at the end of the long hdmi cable (was a Panasonic Viera and I bought a Sony Bravia LED).

now when i first plug the hdmi plug into the sony bravia both tvs are working fine, 1080p. But if i turn the Sony tv off and back on it does not detect anything at all on the screen (black) and I need to unplug and replug the hdmi cable for it to pick up (the first tv works fine through all these times).

As a test - I can run the 15m hdmi directly to the Sony tv without the Splitter and the connection works perfectly (tv turning back on picks up the signal).

So im guessing that the new tv enforces HDMI rules / quality more?

I've ordered a better quality cable and is slightly shorter (12.5) with the hope that this will solve the issue but my thought is it is actually the splitter.

Any ideas or suggestions for what to try short of buying another splitter to try as well??

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metallima View Post
    Hi,

I was hoping i could get some ideas.

I've had foxtel iq3 setup running for a nubmer of years without issue until recently when i bought a new tv.

In short, i have an IQ3 box running to a HDMI Splitter - from here i have 2 hdmi cables, 1 short running to the TV close by and then another running through a 15m hdmi cable to a second tv located elsewhere in the house.

This setup has been working perfectly until i changed the second tv which is at the end of the long hdmi cable (was a Panasonic Viera and I bought a Sony Bravia LED).

now when i first plug the hdmi plug into the sony bravia both tvs are working fine, 1080p. But if i turn the Sony tv off and back on it does not detect anything at all on the screen (black) and I need to unplug and replug the hdmi cable for it to pick up (the first tv works fine through all these times).

As a test - I can run the 15m hdmi directly to the Sony tv without the Splitter and the connection works perfectly (tv turning back on picks up the signal).

So im guessing that the new tv enforces HDMI rules / quality more?

I've ordered a better quality cable and is slightly shorter (12.5) with the hope that this will solve the issue but my thought is it is actually the splitter.

Any ideas or suggestions for what to try short of buying another splitter to try as well??
    My friend has a big screen sony bravia and it forever fails to pick up his pay tv box. I have to go and reset it for him every time so the tv can pick up the signal. I believe the sony's might have a fault. He refuses to look for software as he doesn't have internet so maybe you can look for any updates or contact sony as i'm sure yours and my friends arent the only ones playing up. Ps his sometimes is ok for a month sometimes a week or sometimes a day.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

I replied to this thread yesterday, but it's disappeared. There was a fault that may have required a rollback..

I am wondering if this problem is a HDCP issue and the Bravia is losing the handshake with the IQ.

I have a Bravia through a HDMI splitter from an IQ2. It's faultless. The second splitter cable goes to a PVR.

The only other thing I can suggest is maybe it's an IQ3 problem.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I have an iQ3 & Sony Bravia, no issues with connection via HDMI at present. I don't run thru a splitter though.

There are some settings in the iQ3 regards HDCP that did affect my sound to the Sony TV via HDMI.
    In the menu under settings find & set Notifications/HDCP Warnings set to "Disable Only"
    In the program guide settings
    Background Vision set to ON

Audio set to Background Vision.

Also of note is that if you have a new TV that has Ultra HD capability, you may need to disable UHD for that HDMI input at the TV. IF that's possible.
    Quite a few people have had sound & picture issues with iQ3 connections to UHD TVs.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

enf (04-05-17)

Thanks

Sony, own most of the worlds movies, they have very strict & rigid ideas about copyright and duplication service etc. HDMI handshake protocols and licensing would fit right up Sony's alley for legitimate functionality. I bet if you bought a Sony HDMI splitter (if one existed) it would be expensive, and it would work perfectly). that's how they roll.