Thread: Foxtel / Telstra throttling bandwidth on VPN Server

Thanks

Default Foxtel / Telstra throttling bandwidth on VPN Server

Guys
    I have poor internet service here until NBN gets here in September however my service drops from 2.1 mbps to 0.5 mbps when I log onto a P2P server so to counteract this I got on to Nord VPN mainly for geoblocking .
    Now I find that my ISP is Throttling my service each time I log onto an overseas server either VPN or business associate or whatever.

I was under the understanding the VPN traffic was so encrypted that the ISP was unable to deep analyse the packets and had no clue what was coming in .

S it seems that irrespective of the use of my internet say logging onto an overseas suppliers server direct as I do , my ISP , Foxtel/ Telstra is taking money from me for something they are not providing and is not written into my contract !

I hardly think that receiving traffic from Schaffer Industries in Germany could be called illegal downloading of copywrite material.

I have changed the DNS to Google and that hasn't worked .

Any suggestions ??

Cheers,

Ramp

Look Here ->
    Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

I use Telstra and also NordVPN, it's most likely the VPN server you use is slow - It wont be Telstra throttling it.
    I'm on the NBN and some of the NordVPN servers are painfully slow.

Traffic is encrypted, the only thing your ISP will see is that you are connected to a VPN.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

rampant1 (05-05-17),tristen (04-05-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I too use NordVPN (as WhiteOx does) and yes, some servers are slow. It all depends on the bandwidth in use at the time (number of users versus total available bandwidth (to and through the particular server), which will vary with time of day.

Try different NordVPN servers until you find one with high throughput at the time (this will vary upon loading and bandwidth).

NordVPN have a page which shows the loading of their various servers. Click on Servers at top-right of their home page. Consult it and use it as a basis in order to experiment for best results.

Yes, all traffic through their servers is encrypted so you are protected from prying eyes. It's as WhiteOx had advised.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Keith (05-05-17),rampant1 (05-05-17)