Thread: Vt Commodore Stalling

Thanks

Default Vt Commodore Stalling

I have a VT commodore 6 cylinder. A few months ago whilst ago whilst driving on the freeway the car coughed and spluttered like it was going to stall but never did. This happened a few times so off to the mechanic. $2000 later and still no answer. The car now stalls at lights a few times when cold and splutters occasionaly, but apart from that drives extremely well. Had crank angle sensor replaced, dfi module, leads, plugs, fuel pump, fuel pump relay and every other sensor on the car. Mechanic has no idea because no faults show up on the computer. Any ideas?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by belabacsi View Post
    I have a VT commodore 6 cylinder. A few months ago whilst ago whilst driving on the freeway the car coughed and spluttered like it was going to stall but never did. This happened a few times so off to the mechanic. $2000 later and still no answer. The car now stalls at lights a few times when cold and splutters occasionaly, but apart from that drives extremely well. Had crank angle sensor replaced, dfi module, leads, plugs, fuel pump, fuel pump relay and every other sensor on the car. Mechanic has no idea because no faults show up on the computer. Any ideas?
    Replace the engine control relay (also known as EFI relay). They can give intermittent problems that sound very much like yours.
    When they fail, they often don't log codes.
    Was the fuel pump wiring and connector replaced or just the fuel pump on its own?
    The wiring connectors can give trouble with a high resistance connection.

• The Following User Says Thank You to whitey66 For This Useful Post:

admin (07-05-17)

Thanks

also change the intake air temp sensor in the air cleaner box . also known to cause your symptoms .

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Ive had brand new CAS to be faulty, it could be the BCM, PCM or as simple as engine coolant sensor faulty, but gee $2000 in repairs on a old VT, could have bought a VZ with that

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    but gee $2000 in repairs on a old VT, could have bought a VZ with that
    Yes, this is why it is better to substitute known good used parts instead of replacing everything with new parts for intermittent problems.
    This used to be easy for me when I worked at a Holden dealership because we had a yard full of cars that we could loan parts from .
    Sometimes a car might only play up once a week with no codes stored, throwing new parts at it could end up costing the owner a fortune.
    VTs are usually pretty good at logging codes for faulty sensors. The codes might not be related to the faulty part though. For example, a faulty mass air flow sensor can cause a throttle position sensor code to be logged on it's own, likewise a faulty throttle position sensor can bring up a mass air flow sensor code.
    The engine control module also always blames the sensors for faults, even if the ECM is the faulty part.
    Regarding the coolant temperature sender, they will log a code 16 if the coolant temperature is unstable ie. an intermittent fault in the sensor. If the coolant temp sensor changes resistance by an amount that is physically impossible, it will log a code 16. This doesn't mean that the sensor is faulty though, it could still be a faulty connection or faulty ECM as well. This is where people often get in trouble by replacing parts because Tech2 or whatever else scan tool told them to.
    I've never seen any scan tool say "replace sensor", because it doesn't know for sure if the sensor is at fault. There are times where scan tools will say "replace module" because all of the diagnostics are done inside the module itself. And I have had several of these that have cleared by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
    Last edited by whitey66; 08-05-17 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

i was going to suggest disconnection and reconnecting battery

.....Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Sounds similar to my wife's VT fault. I can't remember if it threw codes or not, was about 8 years ago now, but it ended up being a coil pack replacement that fixed the fault.

Thanks

Those coil packs frequently crack because the V6 engine runs very hot before the fan activates.

Quote Originally Posted by belabacsi View Post
    The car now stalls at lights a few times when cold and splutters occasionaly, but apart from that drives extremely well. Had crank angle sensor replaced, dfi module, leads, plugs, fuel pump, fuel pump relay and every other sensor on the car. Mechanic has no idea because no faults show up on the computer. Any ideas?
    Missing off that list is the fuel pump regulator and coolant temperature sensor that governs the fuel mix.