Thread: BBC Get Iplayer

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default BBC Get Iplayer

Just curious if anyone else uses Get IPlayer ?

If you dont know what it is, its a program that allows you to download content direct from the BBC, which you are basically only allowed to stream in the UK (they have TV Licences in the UK).

I mainly use it to download music concerts/top of the pop episodes but there is a lot of stuff including movies.

You can download it here :

You will need to use a VPN or similar so the BBC thinks you are in the UK.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

happy5555 (08-05-17),OSIRUS (08-05-17),pete123 (09-05-17),pheggie (13-05-17)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Yes, I have been using Get Iplayer for years.

BBC regularly attempt to restrict unauthorised downloading of their programs and actively blacklist VPN servers.

I currently find that dns4me works well and is far less expensive than a VPN (I also use NordVPN for other purposes).

I have utilised get iplayer automator (which requires late version of Mac OS X) for downloading ITV programs () as well as for BBC.
    It failed for BBC downloading several months ago and a week or so ago it failed for ITV downloads also, so I am patiently hoping for a new release.

Watching (in real time) U.K. Channel 4, Channel 5 and TV3 (Eire) is also possible by using a VPN or dns4me. Registration is necessary (it's free but you must use a UK address as all programs are geo-blocked).

I too would be extremely interested to hear of other members who might be watching/downloading U.K. TV programs and the methods they are currently using.

Administrator
    Thanks

A new version of Get_iplayer came out yesterday.

There was a major change in BBC Iplayer made by the BBC last week after which you could download anything. But its all good now.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

The Chrome Extention lets you watch BBC iPlayer with out using a third party DNS

Beebs, as posted here a few years ago.
    Work perfectly, just tested it then.
    Can watch or download

Last edited by ol' boy; 08-05-17 at 02:50 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks

I am more interested in downloading than streaming (of which programs disappear and sometimes don't reappear for years).

Has anyone purchased a download from the BBC store and attempted to, for example, burn it to disc ?

I see on the their purchases, you pay them for a product, of which you have to watch using their software and if your device shits itself, you cant re-download it. Wow, what a great deal

I did a bit of Googling but cant find anything about anyone getting around that protection. Lots of complaints though

Thanks

I use get_iplayer with DNS4me and also the Android iplayer app on a Minix X8-H
    I would download programs as my internet connection was not good enough for streaming.
    About 6 months ago it stopped being able to download, could still stream. According to the BBC it was only temporary ( still waiting ).
    My Internet is now capable of streaming, so downloading is not essential.
    However I do use get-iplayer to download programs I want to keep.
    These are mp4 and I'm able to put them on a stick or my hard drive connected to a NUC and use Kodi. Can't see why they couldn't be burnt to DVD.
    I also use All4, ITV and MY5 with DNS4me. My wife can now watch Coronation Street without pestering me to download as a torrent.

• The Following User Says Thank You to dixons For This Useful Post:

tristen (08-05-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I am more interested in downloading than streaming (of which programs disappear and sometimes don't reappear for years).
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by dixons View Post
    I use get_iplayer with DNS4me and also the Android iplayer app on a Minix X8-H....About 6 months ago it stopped being able to download, could still stream. According to the BBC it was only temporary ( still waiting )....
    BBC introduces changes to their I-Player website every now and then, including one at about the time you have stated.

Get Iplayer is updated fairly quickly to adapt to such changes with full details provided at , as indicated at .

Update history is also posted on the squarepenguin blog at .

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

For Doctor Who Fans
    Doctor Who Enhanced - Knock Knock virtual reality for your ears (use headphones)
    Code:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p051x29z/doctor-who-enhanced-knock-knock
    Last edited by pheggie; 13-05-17 at 03:52 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    BBC introduces changes to their I-Player website every now and then, including one at about the time you have stated.

Get Iplayer is updated fairly quickly to adapt to such changes with full details provided at , as indicated at .

Update history is also posted on the squarepenguin blog at .
    Yep, spot on tristen, its a great program and is very well supported.

Anytime you have a problem, its almost always worth as they are on to things quickly, and even if its a major problem they generally bring out a new version in just a couple of days.

• 23-02-22, 10:26 AM

Reason
    Do not comment just to increase post count to increase post count to send uninvited/unwelcome PM