Thread: New roof under dish now only some channels have signal

Thanks

Default New roof under dish now only some channels have signal

The builder assures me that the dish has gone back exactly where it was and correct aim to satellite. Had to start installation again and now only have some channels Mostly ABC/SBS. Am in Tasmania and have always received commercial channels. What have we done wrong

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cavemangeoff For This Useful Post:

irritant (09-05-17)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

If your dish wasn't aligned, you wouldn't be getting any channels at all.

This sounds more like your access to the commercial channels has expired.

Are you on a permanent address commercial channel access, or a traveller application?

If it's traveller, you need to renew your application every 6 months... if it's permanent, commercial channel access never expires.

You can re-activate a card .

If you need to re-register as a traveller, you can do that .

Can you still receive the VAST tuning/info channel (800)? If not and if the dish has been 're-aligned' it's possible it's been pointed at Optus D1, which has ABC/SBS channels.

If you are receiving channel 800 OK then your dish is correctly aligned to VAST on Optus C1/D3.

If all the above checks out and you still have an issue, you can contact VAST:

Call Centre Ph: 1300 993 376
    Hours: 9:00 - 4:30 (AEST) business days

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (09-05-17),OSIRUS (08-05-17),Tiny (09-05-17)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I'm with MTV on this one, although it's unlikely the builder positioned the dish exactly as it was before, it's also unlikely that you would get any channels if it is not reasonably aligned.

Did the builder have a Satellite Tuning meter?
    Did he turn the box on & check the tuning page?
    This page may differ from box to box, however there should be a menu page that gives you signal strength & quality readings.
    They should be close to 100 for each but at least above 90.

Try the card reactivate link that mtv has posted; as sometimes when the VAST box has been turned off for a few days it takes a while to get all the channels.
    The card reactivation sends a signal to the box to get the channels working again if you have authorisation & good dish alignment.
    If that doesn't work, get a sat meter or someone with one to properly align your dish & LNBf.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

irritant (09-05-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Well, I don't know guys, until one has actually seen the signal level and quality readings - the dish may actually be misaligned slightly or something.

We sometimes experience that here with 65cm dish on HD channels, in severe weather some tps will disappear (searching for signal) whilst others are still fine.

I reckon the tps could be of varying strength, and if you're not properly aligned, you might just lose some.

Maybe worth checking if all the missing channels are on the same frequencies or not.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Thanks

I've had this problem many times. What I lose is the TPs including the commercial channels from C1, while D3 has a stronger signal and has ABC and SBS for Qld. My dish is set in a pot in the garden, and is subject to minor movement from strong winds and also settling of the ground with heavy rainfall (separate from rain fade). The advantage is when it shifts, it's easy to realign, no having to climb onto the roof, etc. My old Gilat ISS sat dish is still on the roof, and as they haven't come to take it back, I'll repoint it and use a C band LNB on it to look at IS19 maybe.

• The Following User Says Thank You to amigo1985 For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (13-05-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amigo1985 View Post
    My dish is set in a pot in the garden, and is subject to minor movement from strong winds...
    Hardly a comparison.... and your location is nowhere near the OP, but the point of dish movement is relative, as has been mentioned, if the 'builder' didn't accurately realign the dish after it was re-mounted.

It would be good if the OP posted an update and answered the questions asked.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (12-05-17)