Thread: Parabolic Microphone from DBS Dish ?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Default Parabolic Microphone from DBS Dish ?

Has anyone seen, heard or CREATED a parabolic microphone from a "no longer used" DBS satellite dish?

I have a few .45m/18" DirecTV/Dishnet (home satellite TV providers in the US) dishes and a couple .85m/33" satellite dishes and I wanted to convert one of them to an microphone (audio receiving only) parabolic receptor/collector?

I'd prefer to use the smaller .45m/18" dish for my project.

Is there a formula for FD "Sweet Spot" at audio freq for placement of the microphone or just trial and error while listening or connected to a signal strength(Vu) meter?

Below are pics of what I have to be utilized in my project!

Any thoughts advice links or suggestions would be appreciated on the electronics involved (Mic type and signal amp/pre-amp) as well.

Thanks all

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I haven't built one myself, but parabolic reflectors have long been used in long distance recording for many years.

The dish will reflect RF, light and sound to the focal point, which in your case will be the position of the antenna probes in the LNB.

What will have an effect is the type of microphone and it's polar pattern, so you will need to experiment a bit with the type of microphone and the focal point.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

cmangle (13-05-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I haven't done this either but have heard many years ago of the technique you mention.

A quick search of Youtube shows many presentations concerning this technique.

See .