Thread: Hyundai I45 question.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Default Hyundai I45 question.

I was travelling across country to a funeral today and half way there the engine started to rattle as though it had lost oil pressure. Sure enough, little oil in sump. Problem is, the oil light did not illuminate to advise me of low oil pressure (yes, it does work, I checked it). Nursed the car to the nearest servo (about 30ks) and topped up the oil (it needed 3L!). The amount of oil has surprised me as the car has only done 160,000Ks, does not leak and, as far as I know does not burn oil. (I've had it for about 50,000Ks.) Bloody car still rattling like a hydraulic lifter has collapsed. Ended up driving home, nursing it all the way. (140Ks) Don't know enough about these engines to be confident that it is a lifter.

Symptoms are rattles like mad under load or when revving above 2K. Engine still fairly quiet whilst cruising even get up to about 2.5 - 3K revs without too much noise. At idle you can hear a tick like a tappet, hence my thinking.

Question. Is my assumption correct, or is there way more to it? Running temperature did not change whole trip.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

does seem like a lifter has collapsed , they are a hydraulic lifter and the internal seal may be ineffective so the lifter cannot maintain zero lash. There is a procedure for bleeding them you may need to look in a Hyundai / Mitsubishi forum for that. if that doesnt work you will need to remove the rockers and replace the lot

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thanks mate, Found an on-line service manual. I think I'm gonna have to pay someone to fix it. Too much to pull apart on this beastie, and not a lot of room. Oh! For the good ole days.

Thanks

once all the upper engine stuff is removed there will be much better access . Dont just replace one , do the lot they come as a set. At some stage they went from a 1mm hole to a 3mm hole so the problem shouldnt come back.
    its normal to consume some oil especially as the engine ages , i check mine religiously and its a brand new car.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

admin (17-05-17),Rick (19-05-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Yeah. Managed to get the rocker cover off, today. I'll have to work on removing camshafts next.

Thanks

Sounds like old prob of short runs round town, acid builds up in sump, long run acid boils off, leaving low oil level, wear occurs. Any engine that has not had rings seated by load,temp, will use oil. To seat rings, Accel. up hill in top gear eng warm.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Sorry Tom, this is a country car, average trip is 1/2 hour one way at highway speeds.

Any got a link to lifters for the G4KJ Gasoline engine 2.4(Theta-II GDI). Prices?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

hope no other damage. That's a lot of oil to top up with! I hadn't heard of that issue when I was at a Hyundai dealership a couple of years ago.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

LSemmens
    Thanks

So do I. I spent some time today attempting to detemine valve clearances, some seem to be about .1mm different, all on the inlet side, did not even worry about exhaust. Could not find anything that indicated what the tolerances were, so am still in the dark.

I spoke to a mate today who used to design exhaust systems for various cars, one of his designs was on the E series Frauds. He now works fixing people! (He looks after the medical imaging equipment at a major hospital). His opinion was not unlike my own, too bloody hard to fix yourself. Just to check the lifters out, you've got to pull half the engine apart. One thing I found out, too was, that if you've got to pull the engine. It ain't a lift the engine out, but a lift the car off!!

So, I'll put her back together, change the oil and see what happens.

Thanks

hydraulic lifters cannot be measured / tested with the engine cold , you need to remove them and perform a leak down test. Chances are one of yours has collapsed and needs replacement.

LSemmens
    Thanks

That, sadly, is my thinking. To get the lifters out, It would be easier to remove the car, just to remove the timing chain. which has to happen before I can remove the camshafts to get to the lifters. Yes, I did say remove the car. Apparently the way to remove the engine is to put the car on a hoist, disconnect everything, undo the bolts and lift the car off the engine. A 30 year old car is starting to look attractive.