Thread: Kevin Stanton, Mi-Sex Songwriter and Guitarist, Dies at 61

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Default Kevin Stanton, Mi-Sex Songwriter and Guitarist, Dies at 61

Kevin Stanton, founding songwriter and guitarist with Mi-Sex, a new wave band from New Zealand remembered for the late '70s hit "Computer Games," died Wednesday night (May 17) after a long battle with health problems. He was 61.

Their most memorable song: Computer Games.

R.I.P. Kevin

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

admin (19-05-17),David071 (21-05-17),eaglem (19-05-17),exited (19-05-17),ol' boy (19-05-17),Uncle Fester (20-05-17)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Great band, Computer Games blew me away as a 12 year old. I can remember watching People (below) on Countdown in that same year and conning my mum to take me to K-mart to buy the single.

Jesus, Chris Cornell on the same day, I might go and cry.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (19-05-17)

Thanks

It was a real buzz hearing that song as new in FM stereo when it came out and it didn't take long for the tape recorder to be put in good use for a few years after that

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

It a bit scary for me to see that Kevin Stanton died from cervical spondylosis which affected the use of his left arm and hand, and he had been recovering from major spinal surgery.

I am sitting here, having to take opiod painkillers waiting for cervical spine surgery. I get pins and needles and numbness through my left arm and hand.

In 2012, Ex Fleetwood Mac guitarist Bob Welch committed suicide from failed spinal surgery. Not that I plan on doing the same , it's all a bit of an unpleasant reminder that surgery can only fix so much.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

David071 (21-05-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Must of heard that song 100s of times but I believe it came out early 1980s. Never saw the video before.

Quite original video attempting to play games on an actual computer of the 1970s, when everybody was still only using consoles.Love seeing the old computers again they are showing there.At 1:20 they are grabbing paper that is racing out of a printer like mad. Normally you had to lower the bullet proof lid for it to do anything other than feed the paper.
    These printers had a revolving chain to type the letters that ran so fast that if it would snap (and they did sometimes) the chain bits could kill somebody without the lid.
    Those printers also made a hell of a noise and the lid in the one we used was much thicker for sound proofing.

I have had numbness and needles and pins in my left arm for years. When it got so bad that I went to a doctor, he told me see a neurologist. I was too scared and didn't go.
    Luckily it went away on it's own after a few lifestyle changes I looked up on the net.I don't think I had a real back injury, only an issue as a child after using a trampolin and I had to go to a chiropractor for years.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 20-05-17 at 10:45 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

What a sad day to hear of so many musicians dying at not an old age. Kevin Stanton at 61 years - from spinal problems and surgery associated with it.

Thanks admin for mentioning the death of Bob Welch and the Fleetwood Mac days and the song Ebony Eyes from the late seventees. I had not even realised he had died at age 66.