Thread: APX7000L - Depot R11 and LTE

Thanks

Default APX7000L - Depot R11 and LTE

I have an APX 7000L and I'm really not able to find out much about the LTE features. It's not in the flashcode so I tried to create one in Depot R11 but it would not let me choose the 7000L because it was released after R11 and choosing APX7000, says LTE is not supported. Before going through the hassle of trying to get my hands on Depot R14 to enable LTE, is it even worth it? What features would LTE give me for personal use (ie: all channels are receive only) and would I be able to even get it on Verizon's network (add to my current plan)?

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 987 Posts

ugggg. My suggestion is leave depot alone. LTE for the radios is NOT the same thing as LTE for cellular networks.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lynt123 For This Useful Post:

Spongebob (20-05-17)

Thanks

Thanks....understood. For my knowledge, would you be able to explain how LTE works on these radios? From what I understand, the radios can be managed and reprogrammed over LTE while still allowing the voice channels to remain in use. This is of no use to me and I just wasn't sure if there were any other features to it; from your reply, I'm guessing not but would still be curious as to how it works.

Thanks again.

Thanks

That type of operation is done by the communications console (dispatcher). The last you you want it for your radio to be showing up on their console. Leave the feature off.

The way it functions is "L" series units have a secondary module that when enabled and authorized uses the G4 backbone to send and receive data between the unit and the comcenter. Only specific data types are allowed and end to end encryption has to be established otherwise the comms are blocked. Again dont mess with this.
    Last edited by lynt123; 20-05-17 at 04:15 AM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lynt123 For This Useful Post:

ATechGuy (20-05-17),motorolavkg (20-05-17),Spongebob (20-05-17)

Thanks

Got it.....Thanks for explaining it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lynt123 View Post
    That type of operation is done by the communications console (dispatcher). The last you you want it for your radio to be showing up on their console. Leave the feature off.

The way it functions is "L" series units have a secondary module that when enabled and authorized uses the G4 backbone to send and receive data between the unit and the comcenter. Only specific data types are allowed and end to end encryption has to be established otherwise the comms are blocked. Again dont mess with this.

One additional note, the module in the APX7000L is typically a LTE Band 14 radio which is a North American only LTE band. Band 14 is currently licensed to the US Government and Canadian Government for build out of a nationwide public safety broadband network dedicated to first responders. This network has not been built yet and once it is built, you would need be be an authorized subscriber to the network with a USIM in order to use the functionality.

Skkeeter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skkeeter View Post
    One additional note, the module in the APX7000L is typically a LTE Band 14 radio which is a North American only LTE band. Band 14 is currently licensed to the US Government and Canadian Government for build out of a nationwide public safety broadband network dedicated to first responders. This network has not been built yet and once it is built, you would need be be an authorized subscriber to the network with a USIM in order to use the functionality.

Skkeeter
    You are correct I was aware of this but it wasnt relevant to the issue that the member was asking about.

The intent behind the LTE network will be to have available a high speed, hopefully reliable method for OTAR and GPS talkback type features. There is no plans for this network to carry voice traffic. Most sites will be part of the cellular network and will be installed by the cellular network providers (at their cost ) as part of their licensing requirements. The basic thought on this was that cellular networks have a lot more towers and in general more solid coverage for point to point data.

I expect to see later versions of the APX line and any future products all having the feature available as a stock option. Also expect to see other suppliers having the same function on the network.

Thanks

I got one of the 7000L radios in an auction and it has great audio in it. It didn't originally have the LTE module in it but I found a few modules and it's a very nice radio.
    The speakers in the L-version is different and I think better than the regular 7000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk