Thread: Malware/ransomware in Linux?

Thanks

Default Malware/ransomware in Linux?

Hello guys,
    I just had a concern if Linux users should have some kind of Anti-malware software installed on their system. The recent news of global ransomware attack is really scary and I can't think about something like that happening in my system. I know there aren't many malware targeted at linux systems, but is it completely safe that I shouldn't bother to have a defence mechanism installed? I have about malware and virus attacks in windows systems and about their protection. But not so much about Linux systems. What’s your opinion on this? No one using any? If anyone is using one, what software is it and how such software affect the system performance?

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

There are proof of concept projects but I am not aware of any actual attacks directly related to the operating system.
    Admin password is always required to install anything on Linux, so if you have a weak one maybe best to strengthen it.

If you are really paranoid you can install Sophos Antivirus and clamAV, both free. I never used them. Sophos is supposed to use very little resources.
    If you are running a Linux server I would use Sophos as it addresses a vulnerability with compromised OpenSSH servers. Again somebody would have had to have Admin access to compromise it.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 16-05-17 at 02:27 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

johnhoward (12-06-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I agree with noMeat. I've played with Linux, so am no guru, and all of my machines are Windoze. It is all down to market share, and, in Linux case, admin rights. Until Linux or Apple become the main player we are less likely to see malware targeting such systems.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

johnhoward (12-06-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I'm a dedicated Linux user, and prefer it to Windows whenever possible. I have never used virus or malware protection. This does not mean that Linux is immune. It is more difficult, but not prohibitively so. There are simply too few users for most writers of viruses or malware to be bothered. Occasionally I'll run a scan for rootkits but have never found a problem. As I understand it products like Sophos and Clamav for Linux are mainly aimed at detecting Windows virus's on Linus file servers, though I am open to correction on this.

I think most attacks against Linux systems are individual hacks often aimed at corporate servers rather than virus's and malware aimed at the relatively minuscule number of desktop users. There are I believe a small number of virus's and malware targeting OSX, which is similar to Linux in many ways. But nowhere near the number for Windows. I don't think there is a significant risk for Linux users at the moment, and few seem to bother with virus or malware detection. This can of course change, and users will not receive warning beforehand. It is up to you to decide what protection you need.
    Last edited by DB44; 16-05-17 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks

I also have three different machines running different flavours of linux and have never had any problems at the moment however that could change in time depending on market share as has been mentioned in previous Threads

Thanks

A little late, but relevent is , Courtesy of the US NSA for certain Linux distributions.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jazo116 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (15-08-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richie001 View Post
    What’s your opinion on this?
    It would be worth reading this thread