Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fidget craze

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    The sound might change but not the base frequency.
    The scope app can be switched to FFT so you can see the harmonics that create the sound.
    The so called fundamental is the lowest frequency in the spectrum. It also has the highest amplitute and that represents the revolutions per second similar to the vibrations of a string on a guitar.
    The musical reference tone A4 will sound totally different played on a guitar, violin, flute or piano but their fundamental will always be 440Hz, while the harmonics that make the instrument sound rich and good will be all over the place, especially when the three strings per piano key intermodulate because they ae rarely 100% in tune.
    Ah, I see. That's pretty interesting. I like waves and their properties.

If one could keep the little gadget upright, even letting it roll on a frictionless track for a few seconds, or allowing it to reel up ticker tape or string, one can measure the length of course and divide by its "circumference" (it's practically circular whilst spinning of course).

Sorry, I think I'm taking all this a little too far. Didn't mean to annoy you or anyone else reading this.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post

The only thought in my head was.... how do I weaponise this?

I am certain you have the skills with your bench grinder to modify this one

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-05-17 at 03:06 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

irritant (27-05-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post

Sorry, I think I'm taking all this a little too far. Didn't mean to annoy you or anyone else reading this.
    On the contrary
    When I start a thread I am very honoured when posters want to get to the bottom of things, diversify, come up with own ideas... nothing is ever too crazy for me
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

irritant (27-05-17)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    I am certain you have the skills with your bench grinder to modify this one

You're right; wouldn't take long to sharpen that. looks like a ninja star weapon.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

irritant (27-05-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,078 Times in 3,349 Posts

I'm trying to come up with another smart remark that will prompt more discussion on this. However, the only thing I can come up with is how do you know that the Fundamental Frequency of A is 440Hz, you are aware that it which will throw your calculations off.......
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

I once heard talk of an imagined conspiracy related to the standard concert tuning being changed from 432Hz to 440Hz for A. Turns out it amounts to something like a 1/3 of a semitone (on a 12 tone scale) which is a difference very few could even discern but there are still some who'll tell you 432Hz is the frequency of life or something along those lines so the change is plan to unbalance the human race

koff

Thanks

The difference between 432 and 440Hz is massive and two instruments tuned to these frequencies respectively will sound awful when played together.
    Different story when tuning your oscillators in a synthesizer where you want to slightly detune them to get a more lively, phase shifting sound, but 8hz still sucks.

The esoteric BS artists aside, you will find that many older pianos in homes will be around 430Hz or lower.
    Even professional piano tuners will sometimes recommend to keep the tuning lower than concert pitch to avoid the risk of breaking the strings or even worse the pins.
    In a few weeks I will have the pleasure to tune an old Australian Beale that uses the notorious Beale-Vader tuning system, so NO WAY will I attempt to tune it to 440Hz.
    I might have to lie it down and soak the whole thing in WD40.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-05-17 at 03:26 PM.

lsemmens (28-05-17)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12