Thread: Commercial subscriptions icon/indicator

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Default Commercial subscriptions icon/indicator

Hey guys, I was wondering about something. Here in South Africa on our DStv package, pubs, clubs and other types of sports bars have a half-full little wine glass watermark in the top right corner of the TV picture to show that the establishment has a valid commercial subscription and is allowed to show live sports.

Then, reading up, I saw Sky UK also have it (a pint glass) on their channels in pubs to show the same thing.

It's a little icon, in the form of a transparent watermark.

So, I was wondering, do you guys have something similar in Oz for commercial establishments too? Say on Foxtel, etc. to show this?

Apparently, pubs and so on are charged different commercial rates than your home subscriber, and they are not allowed to take out a normal subscription and then show it in the establishment to paying customers.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I am not aware of anything like that over here, but I will attempt to make an effort to do an extensive survey of pubs and clubs just to confirm.🍺🍺🍷🍷🍺🍺

Yes Pubs and commercial establishments are charged at a commercial rate per ch, at one stage they were also charged according to how much alcohol was sold. This may not be the situation now though.

There is no system in place to stop an establishment bringing in their own receiver from home and using it there, BUT THERE is Strong compliance and monitoring of commercial establishments these days so it would only be a small group I suspect. Especially now that pirate cards are dead. The Fines and loss off revenue imposed outways the risk.

Several years ago Sky Racing did an audit and closed down a few illegal setups.

Going to places like Bali etc is a different story. Illegal setups thrive over there. A 2.4-3mt solid dish will get you Optus C1.
    Last edited by cmoore; 27-05-17 at 11:33 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to cmoore For This Useful Post:

irritant (26-05-17)