Thread: Ness R8/R16 alarm - dialler

Thanks

Default Ness R8/R16 alarm - dialler

Hey all,

A friend of mine has a Ness R8/R16 alarm. It is essentially exactly the same as this one:
    Before the NBN was installed, it was working fine. Since then, it doesn't dial out anymore.

I have never worked on Ness alarms before, so I wouldn't know where to start. Of the few alarms that I have done, they have all been Hills products. They seem to be fine with the NBN.

Is there some sort of dialler module I can buy that will work with the NBN? I've noticed that Ness sell a 3g dialler, but I don't think that will be an option as the R8/R16 isn't listed as a compatible model. He also wouldn't want to have to keep topping up a SIM card either.

He just wants the alarm to call him when it goes off.

He also wants me to add another PIR to it. Without having the programming code, would I be able to do this? All the existing ones are wireless.

So far, I'm thinking it would be better just to install a new hardwired system.

Thanks for any help and tips.

EDIT: While I'm here, I have another question. How many screamers can you install on one Hill NX panel? Another mate of mine wants to add two more to his.
    Last edited by Cubic25; 27-05-17 at 06:57 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

What happens when you put your phone butt across it? Is there a dial tone?

To install an additional wireless detector you'd need to be in program mode. Luckily if you have an installers manual you shouldn't need the program code to get into program mode.

For a hardwired detector you don't necessarily have to go into program mode.

To answer the NX screamers question that is a matter of simple current draw, this depends on what is currently connected to the panel. Each device draws an amount of current and the panel supplies a fixed amount.
    Which NX panel is it? What is currently connected to the panel?

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Haven't had a chance to have a look with the butt phone. I only went over for a coffee and he started telling me about the issue. I don't have an install manual for Ness alarms. I'll see if I can source one.

As for the screamers, the panel allows you to draw 250mA. I have no idea how much each screamer draws, as it isn't anywhere in the specs. I was just wondering if anyone here had installed three screamers on one panel before? It currently has one S4239A installed.
    Last edited by Cubic25; 27-05-17 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cubic25 View Post
    Haven't had a chance to have a look with the butt phone. I only went over for a coffee and he started telling me about the issue. I don't have an install manual for Ness alarms. I'll see if I can source one.

As for the screamers, the panel allows you to draw 250mA. I have no idea how much each screamer draws, as it isn't anywhere in the specs. I was just wondering if anyone here had installed three screamers on one panel before? It currently has one S4239A installed.
    Max draw for a top hat piezo / screamer is 90mA keep in mind that the auxiliary power (common positive) that supplies the screamers also supplies the keypad and hardwired detectors. The keypads max draw is 110mA any hardwired detectors would vary depending on the brand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cubic25 View Post

Your R8/16 install manual can be located at

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmyc For This Useful Post:

Cubic25 (17-06-17),tristen (06-06-17)

Thanks

Did he get the phone line V put in with NBN ?
    The R8/16 will work with NBN no problem but you need to test the line first.
    Adding a wireless PIR is easy if you have the manual.
    And yes, the 3G dialler will be fine on the R8/16 as the GSM emulates a phone line, thats all.

Thanks

Also, does the NBN modem have battery backup? It wont work if the power fails

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdRock View Post
    Also, does the NBN modem have battery backup? It wont work if the power fails
    Even more so with FTTN, at least the NTD has space for a backup battery.

Thanks

Thanks for all the help so far.

I had a better look at it today with my phone.

It turns out he doesn't have a phone line at all. He thought he had as part of his contract with Optus, but it clearly wasn't the case.

He now wants a GSM dialler instead, with a cheap 12month SIM.

He also want me to add a wireless reed and a couple of detectors.

Can someone please clarify, before I call radioparts tomorrow, are the only wireless PIR's available at the moment for the R8/R16 the LUX series? I can't find anything anywhere that suggests otherwise. The PIR's that came with the Panel don't seem to be available anymore. I can't find them anywhere. The LUX wireless PIR's are $100 each!
    From reading the manual, I can only have one wired zone. Which is fine, because I have plenty of wired PIR's. It is just the wireless ones that seem to be an issue, as from what I gather, you can only use NESS wireless PIR's with these panels. At $100 a pop, it is looking like it will be cheaper for me just to get him a whole new Hills NX system.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Cubic25 For This Useful Post:

xapi (15-06-17)