Thread: Cheap Induction Cook top has a dead Short

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default Cheap Induction Cook top has a dead Short

We purchased a Cheap Induction Cooktop ( have 2 and the back up is now Working) from ebay and after 3 1/2 years it died thanks to a Cock roach shorted it out and one of the cookers died. I found one Bridge Rectifier Dead and one tranny which are bouth found on ebay. The Tranny has the same part number and its says it for cooktops (Chinese) H20R1203 Seems a few have been sold and thats no problems but what I would like to know is the Bridge rectifier as its a D15XB60 (600V-15Amp) and the one on ebay is SHINDENGEN D15XB60 Encapsulation:ZIP-4,General Purpose Rectifiers(600V 15A).
    What the Encapsulation: ZIP 4 bit? Should I be concerned with this.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

In reference to the Encapsulation (package), ZIP usually refers to the pin layout and stands for Zigzag Inline Package.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    In reference to the Encapsulation (package), ZIP usually refers to the pin layout and stands for Zigzag Inline Package.
    Does this mean the three pins are different locations (Emmiter, Base and Collector) is so I'm in Shi't creek I've got the wrong ones.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Does this mean the three pins are different locations (Emmiter, Base and Collector) is so I'm in Shi't creek I've got the wrong ones.
    Isn't it a bridge rectifier?

If yes, it will have 2 pins for AC in and 2 pins for + /- DC output... no emitter, base & collector as in a transistor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Isn't it a bridge rectifier?

If yes, it will have 2 pins for AC in and 2 pins for + /- DC output... no emitter, base & collector as in a transistor.
    Just realized this whilst i'm in the Shower, IDIOT ME!!! Yes the Rectifier has two AC symbols being AC in the middle and a Positive and Negative one either side. Its one of the two components thats is stuffed, the other component that is stuffed is the Transistor that has base, Collector and Emitter. So what does this Mean and how it effect the Rectifier if this rectifier is a Encapsulation ZIP-4 Rectifier and the original say its no or I don't know what it ist.?

Re read as I change it again
    thanks
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 08-06-17 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks

On the main board of the effected Cooker all 4 Pins are in a straight line one after each other (Approx extremities 25MM from + to - with the AC in the middle)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Yeah, after a bit of a Google, I couldn't find any rectifiers with ZIP configuration, so no idea why they have a ZIP-4 listed as the package. I don't know mate, but that's what ZIP-4 stands for, Zigzag Inline Package, as opposed to Sip (single) DIP (dual). In any case, ZIP legs are usually just bent offset, so maybe if it really is a ZIP package, you can just straighten them. If not, it's a $5.00 lesson in package pin configuration... ;-)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Looking at pics and schematics, both bridge rectifier part numbers you posted are identical, from what I can tell.

Thanks

Yeah, after a bit of a Google, I couldn't find any rectifiers with ZIP configuration, so no idea why they have a ZIP-4 listed as the package. I don't know mate, but that's what ZIP-4 stands for, Zigzag Inline Package, as opposed to Sip (single) DIP (dual). In any case, ZIP legs are usually just bent offset, so maybe if it really is a ZIP package, you can just straighten them. If not, it's a $5.00 lesson in package pin configuration... ;-)
    The ones I purchased the 4 pins are in a straight line. The Cookers motherboard pins are in a straight line and I have bent the pins before to get what I want. You will notice that the ebay Positive pin is slightly further away from the AC. My dead one is the same.

The transistor is very common and found on ebay. Yes I found a average size Cockroach jammed between the Active that feeds the cooker and the next part of the printed circuit board and when either the Bridge Rect, or the Tranny shorted out it popped the Cooker C/B (Not earth Leakage) yes 5 Ohms was accross the A and N there until I removed the the both component and it cleared after that. I was surprised to see the Rectifier to be dead as I tested it on my test bench and it blew the 5 amp fuse in a second with 24Volts

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 09-06-17 at 11:05 AM.