Thread: advice on a new router

Thanks

Default advice on a new router

hi all,
    i have a post over on wp asking this question, but thought id go for thoughts from non wp members.

am currently using a cisco 1841 connected to a old d-link in bridge mode to handle my internet etc.

I am looking at upgrading, and was looking at something like a 1941 or 867va, so i dont have to buy again for NBN,
    as i am getting HFC, so i`ll be good to go.

A friend has recommended a cisco 891W-AGN-A-K9, i know these are now at EOL with support ending in 2019,
    but am just curious as i cant find out by my searching, what is the max throughput on the wan interfaces,
    i`ve read anywhere from 4Mbps to 100Mbps.

I am open to other suggestions under $400, as long as its cisco gear.
    If i have helped you in anyway, dont forget to hit the Thanks button
    “If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.”

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Not interested in ASUS? have just purchased the RT-AC88U ($350 @ Gearbest) after reading all the links @ WP as it evidently has the equal fastest wifi to the AC68, inbuilt vpn service and the software layout is very easy and intuitive
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Not sure what features you need and what budget, but since diching ADSL for fibre to the premises, I've been pretty impressed with the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite and the UniFi AC AP Pro for WiFi. The EdgeRouter runs an embedded Linux, so it's very flexible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I'm using the 88U with Merlin firmware with an ADSL router in bridge mode. It is an excellent router and I'm very happy with it. However, when purchasing it I did not consider the Ubiquity range, which also seems to be well worth a look.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

motorolavkg (14-06-17)

Thanks

thanks for the replies folks, i guess i should have been more specific with features.

to summarize

currently running a private tunnel with a few friends, but as my 1841 wont do ikev2, they have 2 tunnels set one running ikev2 for them, and isakemp for me
    something that supports ikev2 for me will result in this been fixed. Also need but not limited to,

port forwarding
    block ddos attacks
    block specific ports both inbound and outbound
    sip management
    multiple vlans, as plan is voice,wifi,internet on seperate vlans
    qos that can be fine tuned

wireless is another thing i need, as my old d-link running dd-wrt is on its last legs, and i need to cut down on the added hardware, as things are at present.

crappy old d-link in bridge mode > cisco 1841 managing pppoe and everything except wireless < as above d-link ap running dd-wrt for wifi.
    “If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.”

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

I think its' end of use date may have expired
    End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Select Cisco 891 ...
    As with DB44, i have mine in bridge mode, and also intend to put Merlin software on it when no one is using it
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

motorolavkg (14-06-17)

Thanks

looking at a slightly different approach for now and going to hold off for now on this project.

on a slightly different note, i have also decided not to get a adsl2+m hwic for the 1841, as i dont think it will handle my line,
    as i am on less than 500m of copper, and can get full adsl2+ speeds.

so in the interim, can someone recommend a cheap adsl2+ modem, that will like my short line, and give me full speeds
    prefer one that supports annex M, but not overly needed, and i`ll keep the 1841 as it is for now.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

For what it's worth, I am only 200m from the NBN FTTN cabinet and I can get near-to-maximum download and upload speeds, but I have found that it does depend on the time of day.

Given that this is the case, my advice is not to assume that your speeds are going to be maximum or near-to-maximum at all times during a twenty-hour hour period.

Ultimately, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, so I would postpone upgrading your system until you have had the NBN connection for several weeks at least.

Also, I found that there was a significant improvement in speed once I had replaced the main cable from the Telstra junction box (on fascia) to the outlet nearest my VDSL modem/router inside my premises. Some major re-cabling was necessary in order to eliminate the "rat's nest" that had evolved over the preceding forty odd years.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    As with DB44, i have mine in bridge mode, and also intend to put Merlin software on it when no one is using it
    Good move. The Asus firmware is good but Merlin is better.

Thanks

sorry for the delays in replies, semi forgot i had this thread.

for me NBN is set for Q1 next year, and iirc the connection on the pole outside my place is full, i believe its a 2 port and both are in use, so will need to be upgraded.

wiring is clean in this place (as its family owned) and the wiring between the connection and socket is less than 3 years old, also connection between house and exchange
    is new copper, recent checks by Telstra and E-Techs reported 0 issues etc, no that that will matter soon.

my other main reason for wanting to do the upgrade sooner than later, is i have no intention on using isp supplied gear, as i may not stick with my current isp (internode),
    as i have heard horror stories on their HFC network (which gets blamed on TPG), and once people have moved to another provider such as, nuskope, sky mesh, or even aussie broadband, they have been getting what they pay for.

as for my current ADSL speeds, well anywhere from 1.9 to 2.5, most times ozbroadband reports over 2.1.