Thread: Freezing point of beer?

Thanks

Default Freezing point of beer?

Last night i conducted an experiment, i forgot, i mean, i left two coronas (on the same shelf next to one an other) in my freezer, which is set at -20c. The next morning (probably 15 hours), i remembered what i had done, i opened the freezer to see 1 exploded bottle which more resembled a cola slushy than a corona, and a perfectly intact frosty (literally) corona.

The intact bottle appeared to have a darker shade of gold than usual, maybe due to a small amount of the water component being frozen (though i couldn't see any frozen liquid).

I reaslise you could probably get a rough esitmate by factoring in ethanol content, carbination, and other ingredients, but now days lots of people have fridges where you can set the exact temperature - so im looking for more practical responses.

What beers have you left in the freezer? Did they explode? How long were they in there, and what was the temperature of that freezer?

On a side note a few years ago i saw a couple of 'beer trick' videos, both used beers which were on the verge of freezing, one required you to gently knock the beer causing a release of co2 while the other one you simply opened the bottle, and the end result was the beer would freeze in front of your eyes. I think they worked on changes in pressure PV=nRT, the pressure decreases, so the freezing point increases...or something like that.

Looking forward to the responses.

Cheers, RHCP.
    Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I can safely say that Extra Dry won't explode if you leave it in the freezer all night @ -17c

It does freeze though and still tastes perfectly fine after its defrosted and set to cool down again.

Banned
    Thanks

The freezing point of a beer is found using this simple formula;
    (°C) = –0.42 × A + 0.04 × E + 0.2

A is the percent of alcohol content by weight
    E is the original gravity of the wort (3).

On this basis, each 1% increase in alcohol content lowers the freezing point by 0.42°C and each increase in gravity of 1°Plato (P) raises it by 0.04°C.

No beer will freeze at –1°C, and products at higher alcohol concentrations (including high-gravity brews prior to dilution) will withstand even lower temperatures.

As for the exploded Corona, could be something as simple as dodgy seal on the cap.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GamerBoy View Post
    No beer will freeze at –1°C, and products at higher alcohol concentrations (including high-gravity brews prior to dilution) will withstand even lower temperatures.
    Off topic but, that is why i keep my vodka in the freezer. It doesnt smell or taste like metho if its chilled, plus it packs an extra punch than if its served at room temperature. Im told the fridge work for this too.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

The important question is did you strain the icy bits to remove any glass and drink it? LOL

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RHCP View Post
    i opened the freezer to see 1 exploded bottle which more resembled a cola slushy than a corona,
    Cheers, RHCP.
    Dude, that's alcohol abuse!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Over summer time at my place... this experiment happens often, generally not on purpose either.

We have found all sorts of different out comes.
    Some freeze, some are liquid, some go bang... basically they are all rooted for drinking no matter what.

But yes, i do love the sealed container, take it down to minus 20, open the lid and watch it snap freeze. Coke does this very well.

I have also been experimenting with salt water or salted water to raise the freezing point. Very good if you want a brine solution in your esky. Soooo much better than just ice!

P.S. I got a very $$$ lesson in freezing points when i first went out working for myself years ago. I was fixing a Granatta machine ( they sit on counter tops and have a semi froozen mixture revolving around inside them)
    I installed the parts needed, then tossed in some water and let it run. Not having time to stand around stairing at it, i went to the next job and thought i'd call back in later..... Big mistake!!!!

The water frooze beyond a liquid and into a solid, it broke the gears in the Granattas Machines gear box, it was 2 days before New Years Eve and it cost a lot to repair!

Moral of the storey, you need the sugar content of the syrip in the water to lower the freezing point!!
    Thus i guess is why Salt raises the freezing point?

Either way... i don't fix shit like that no more

Thanks

lol sounds like you fixed it good