Thread: Network issue after latest W10 cumulative update.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Default Network issue after latest W10 cumulative update.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    The latest cumulative update "2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4022725)" appears to have fixed the screen brightness warning issue.
    Was installed yesterday on both my PC's.
    That was pretty quick of MS to sort that out.
    This quote is from the
    Decided it's a new subject so started this thread.

Hmm, 1 problem solved & a new one starts.
    Since this update 2 days ago, my Laptop has changed the network path to my main PC & routed it thru Homegroup. Problem is Homegroup is not setup on either PC as I prefer not to use it.

I can access some folders & files on the W10PC (main PC) that are in Quick access on the Laptop, however it doesn't show in Network & when I went back thru the directories in the path it ends up in Homegroup & says it's unavailable right now, tried removing it from Homegroup & that just fails.
    So without going thru the quick access shortcuts there is no way to get into the Main PC via the network.

The W10PC shows the laptop in network & full access is available from that direction.

Have checked all network settings & everything is the same on both computers.
    Checked Microsoft forums - no one else has this problem yet.

Any suggestions?
    Maybe I'll set up Homegroup then divorce Homegroup on both again??

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Wow 161 views & no suggestions, thanks.

Anyway I've managed a temporary shortcut solution by making a shortcut address on my Laptop that takes me to Network\W10PC, AKA \\W10PC, which works exactly the same as if I'd selected the PC thru the network Directory.

Tried to setup Homegroup so it may correct itself, but failed. Homegroup can't connect the 2 PC's together either, so there must be a registry fault created on one of the PC's during the last update causing the issue.

The only other course of action I can think of would be to try a system restore on 1 or both PC's to before the last update & then let them apply the update again.
    Unfortunately as both are X64 the updates will take me over my data allowance, as we just had family guests here who used our non-Telstra internet to make & receive phone calls on their Telstra phones as we have no mobile coverage here.
    Had no idea that could even be done, never mind how much of our non Telstra data it used up. Would have been expensive though if they used our landline to all their friends on mobiles.
    The plus side is they were announcing their engagement, that's why so many calls.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Wwe just had family guests here who used our non-Telstra internet to make & receive phone calls on their Telstra phones as we have no mobile coverage here.
    Had no idea that could even be done, never mind how much of our non Telstra data it used up. Would have been expensive though if they used our landline to all their friends on mobiles.
    The plus side is they were announcing their engagement, that's why so many calls.
    Cant help on your other problem, but the above sounds like wifi calling. It was auto activated on my S8+ out of the box. I wondered what the little telephone icon was on the top of my phone screen (near the wifi icon) so did some Googling.

Basically, if my phone network signal is weak (happens a lot as I live in a blackspot) my phone will use the wireless network....you are auto connected to the strongest connection. Data is unmetered if the broadband is Telstra. Its a great feature for me as sigal is sometimes patchy.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I cannot help you with a solution to the problem either, but there are several W10 users posting at reddit in the last few hours reporting network failures after the update in question.

For more info go to the reddit website and look for a thread June Windows 10 Cumulative Updates are out! KB4022725 (1703), KB4022715 (1607), KB4022714 (1511), KB4022727 (RTM).

I turned off ALL updates on my Windows 10 machines a few months ago after experiencing problems with an earlier update. Problems solved.

My motto is now, "If it works, don't update it".

Quit while you're ahead.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Tiny (20-06-17)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    I cannot help you with a solution to the problem either, but there are several W10 users posting at reddit in the last few hours reporting network failures after the update in question.

For more info go to the reddit website and look for a thread June Windows 10 Cumulative Updates are out! KB4022725 (1703), KB4022715 (1607), KB4022714 (1511), KB4022727 (RTM).

I turned off ALL updates on my Windows 10 machines a few months ago after experiencing problems with an earlier update. Problems solved.

My motto is now, "If it works, don't update it".

Quit while you're ahead.
    Thanks tristen, I'll check that out, meanwhile the shortcut I made works exactly the same as the Network should.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Cant help on your other problem, but the above sounds like wifi calling. It was auto activated on my S8+ out of the box. I wondered what the little telephone icon was on the top of my phone screen (near the wifi icon) so did some Googling.

Basically, if my phone network signal is weak (happens a lot as I live in a blackspot) my phone will use the wireless network....you are auto connected to the strongest connection. Data is unmetered if the broadband is Telstra. Its a great feature for me as sigal is sometimes patchy.
    yeah its real cool, I started a thread on it with a link to some Telstra info that has a link in it to compatible devices.
    Unfortunately I don't have Telstra broadband, however I was pleasantly surprised it worked over my NBN SkyMuster Satellite broadband & they didn't complain about any lag.
    They even got a few incoming calls which blew my mind, that's why I had to look it up & see what it does.
    Cheers, Tiny