Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4K UHD TV in Australia - Will it Happen? How will it Happen?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Well, from the data rate, you should be able to get to the bandwidth with a formula containing various factors.

AFAIK you can calculate bit rate from the symbol rate and the modulation factor. I used to calculate it on old QPSK and MPEG-2 systems, but not familiar with the new stuff (e.g. HEVC/16APSK).

Thanks

I have the misfortune to be living in the remote central VAST footprint, which essentially broadcasts only 2 genuine HD services, SBS HD & ABC HD. The commercial FTA HD situation is a complete joke on VAST:

7 Mate - very little HD content and generally substandard PQ
    One - stopped broadcasting native HD content when the parent broadcaster, Ten switched its capital city terrestrial broadcast to HD. So all central footprint One material is upscaled.
    Imparja Gem - limited native HD programming of questionable quality.

The standard definition services on VAST are basically unwatchable on any large size TV - impacted horribly by compression and cost cutting measures by the regional broadcasters, ie Imparja & Southern Cross. The operations manager at Imparja told me that there is zero chance of its main channel switching to HD any time soon.

Fix this mess and provide reasonable main channel 1080i HD on VAST and in the regions, before dancing off with the fairies talking about UHD.

• The Following User Says Thank You to pc9 For This Useful Post:

irritant (23-06-17)

Thanks

well, just for the record it happened today

Foxtel 4K broadcast the Bathurst 1000 followed by a Rolling Stones concert from 2016, Havana Moon, and it was a noticeable improvement on Netflix UHD -

just an incremental jump from 1080p or BluRay, but noticeable and crisp all the same
    Last edited by mello yello; 07-10-18 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks

free to air iptv tv service pluto tv may already have a 4k channel but you need a vpn proxy extention for chrome to get past the usa geo block

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mohs View Post
    Yeah, Sky Sports UHD. Wish I could just once watch F1 or footy in UHD. Sigh.

Of course, a photo can't really do it justice:
    Yes thats only a quarter of the picture so you need the other three to be stitched for a full picture at large ratio then shrink it back to 16:9 and there is you cheating 4k. Its 4x 1080P with 4:2:2.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 08-10-18 at 12:23 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Here we are struggling with 4K
    And Japan is planning to broadcast the 2020 Olympic Games in 8K.

Hopefully they have some 8K TV's to buy

Oh, i see Samsung just announced a commercially available 8K TV a few days ago

Last edited by ol' boy; 08-10-18 at 01:20 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Here we are struggling with 4K
    And Japan is planning to broadcast the 2020 Olympic Games in 8K.

Hopefully they have some 8K TV's to buy

We are all waiting too because all the Latest 2018 LCD tv with peak brightness over 1500 nits bleed/ Blooming/haloing like a pig shot with a shot gun yet this samsung will have 4000 nits. Yes it good to make a LCD TV that can control the extra nits but as it stands they cant control the disasters with limited Zones as all you have to do is look the the DISASTROUS 65 inch Z9F (104 Zones). It sad for Sony considering 2016 Z9D was Perfect (1550 nits and the 65 had 530 Zones and the 75 inch had 800 Zones). To make this Samsung LCD yes only a LCD not this fabricated name called QLED it should have at least for the 75 inch 2000 ZONES
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 09-10-18 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks

I would be happy if the government regulates to fix up VAST so I can watch AFL, NRL, Cricket in 1080i on my cheapy edge lit LCD without having to pay big bucks for Foxtel.

• The Following User Says Thank You to pc9 For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (09-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post

Yes - and 1500 quid for a sound bar to, presumably, get half way decent sound .

Should be a class action against all TV manufacturers because the sound from the TV is not fit for purpose.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

Tiny (09-10-18)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post

Should be a class action against all TV manufacturers because the sound from the TV is not fit for purpose.
    So whats changed since the introduction of TV in 1956 when we had ONE channel AM audio through a 2,3,4 inch speaker mounted somewhere inside the cabinet facing UP, DOWN, either Side or Bottom?

Of course there were the deluxe models that had dual speaker Mono that also provided the Audio if a Radio, Record Player and for the REAL Flash, a Reel-to-Reel Tape deck was included with the TV.
    In most cases, turn it up too high and the sound became garbled and distorted, low and you couldnt clearly hear Voice.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Default 4K UHD TV in Australia - Will it Happen? How will it Happen?

Directv in the US only has 2x 4k channels. It requires a special LNB and genie system. The 2 channels have random programming. They aren’t a designated channel like abc/fox/espn etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post

Most high quality UHD HDR TV today example the Sony 75 inch Z9D or the Tv we have Sony 75 9400E or The one we want the LG 77 inch C8 OLED have poor sound and the reason is if you spend $11,000 on a tv you don't want to use there sound.

For Movies I have a Immersive ATMOS and DTS X System with 11 speakers (4 in the ceiling) with plenty of amps. I prefer the one that have NO sounds at all but all manufacture got rid of the idea so they give the basic system as when I engage the our sound system the Tv's speakers shut off.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 10-10-18 at 09:46 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Most high quality UHD HDR TV today example the Sony 75 inch Z9D or the Tv we have Sony 75 9400E or The one we want the LG 77 inch C8 OLED have poor sound and the reason is if you spend $11,000 on a tv you don't want to use there sound.

For Movies I have a Immersive ATMOS and DTS X System with 11 speakers (4 in the ceiling) with plenty of amps. I prefer the one that have NO sounds at all but all manufacture got rid of the idea so they give the basic system as when I engage the our sound system the Tv's speakers shut off.
    I would guess less than one in TEN people can put in a Sound System anything like what Mr 672A has for as many reasons as there are hairs on a Blow Flies Bum.
    While they all rave on about the screen surround (or lack of it) curved in mind blowing ways and more resolutions than in a New Years Eve wish list, the Audio is crap.
    Perhaps someone (Trash Maybe) can explain when I turn the TV down in the Lounge, it sounds louder in the next room and echo's if the TV in that room is on the same channel?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12