Thread: 6 core stranded secusirty cable to RJ45/LAN

Thanks

Default 6 core stranded secusirty cable to RJ45/LAN

Hello there,
    We have a second old video intercom upstairs that we never used. I removed it from the wall to look at what's behind, there is a 6 core cable (with some marking: SMC6142 CCL 893/C8/0071) among other stuffs (coax...).
    I was wondering if I could use that cable and convert it to use for a LAN/IP network that will go from there to downstairs?
    I found some screw termination adaptors that allow to terminate stranded cable to an RJ 45 socket, but I am not too sure about the results (performance wise).
    And it there an inexpensive way to check the quality of the line once I put a RJ45 on each end?
    Thanks a lot!<!
    Last edited by Jacky04141; 20-06-17 at 03:18 PM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

No, they are entirely different cables and not suited for uses where Cat5/5e/6 is required.

You can't make 4 twisted pairs with only 6 wires.

Testing.... continuity tests and even basic mapping testers are cheap, but for actual performance/quality testing, you need network analysers, which are expensive.

If possible, maybe you can use the 6-core to pull though some Cat6.

Thanks

To be fair you only need two twisted pair (4 wires) for 10/100 networking, you need all 4 pair (8wires) for gigabit.
    However your network performance will be pretty poor.
    Best option, use it as a draw wire
    Other option, try it and see with screw terminal, don't try and use push in IDC connectors on stranded cable. Cable test for correct wiring before you connect it up.

Thanks

There is a product that lets you run POE over as little as 1 pair.
    I have used a set before over a crappy underground 2 pair phone cable to an out building and it worked fine.
    Its designed for using exisiting door bell cabling for a poe intercom station.
    Even though it's designed for cameras, I have used it for general networking.

Its from Mobotix so it wont be cheap but if you have no other option, as in cables chased into a rendered wall or something like that, it works great. (No I don't work for mobotix. I'm just an alarm installer).

Here is a link to the unit